Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 448 total)
  • So they said they would…. (new classifieds)
  • bigblackshed

russyh.

My massive criticism of the old for sale forum was traders, no photos on threads, endless re-posting of the same shit, vague thread titles, no search, or at least one that functioned.

The new classifieds give all of those people who asked for categories, for years, a category for everything. If the posting of a photo in your ad means it puts off the traders or piss takers or lazy sellers, then I’m all for it. There’s no issues with image hosting, just post directly from your phone, the one you used to take the photo with.

Pinkbike is utter shit. Virtually impossible to search for items on a mobile unless you know exactly which sub forum it was posted in. It defaults to North America every time you start a new search. It doesn’t “show reel” photos from within a ad, it links to a new page, or opens in a new tab if you remember to, then it’s “page back” to find the original ad.

matt_outandabout

Forum Sub-forum

Is that searchable?

matt_outandabout

Pinkbike is utter shit.

You do know the ‘use desktop site’ link is at the bottom, then it all works pretty peachy…

bigblackshed

What? With the poor light in here and my trombone arms.

#idontneedglasses

😉

chipps

“Why not complain, bigblackshed?”

Evening! I’m afraid I’ve only just seen this as we were out on a photoshoot all day. So far there has been one email complaint about the new classifieds, (this afternoon, from someone called Matt) that I’ve seen and I answered it right away. I’m afraid I rarely get time to browse the forum, so I rarely see big grumbly threads unless someone points them out. By all means email or phone if there’s something that you’re not getting a reply to. I might not have all the answers, but I can do my best.

I’m sure there’ll be a few tweaks to the new Classifieds as we go along, but it seems that new things like the photos, the categories and so on are things that people have been asking for for years, so hopefully those new bits will make them happy – and our hard-working tech guys (who’ve been doing far duller but more important tasks recently) will be able to get it all working smoothly to everyone’s satisfaction.

Cheers, Chipps

Drac

It’s like posted before in the ‘we are closing’ thread, for me the limited number of ads you can place.

Just like the original classifieds but you’re allowed to post 3 posts not just 2.

vincienup
    Free Member

Admittedly, traders and lazy reposts linking to older posts were a constant annoyance in the old classifieds but I can sort of understand why so many were ‘email in profile for pictures’ as between anonymous free image hosting getting harder and STW changes it has become a bit of a chew.  Decent (searchable) titles solved the need for classifications and the ‘clearout’ ads were both useful and annoying in equal measure.

Whatever, I still like the print mag my ‘P’ pays for, I’m just sad that STW is apparently so committed to punting it’s user base. At the very least finish up the work on the main forum first, please.

Bez

I can sort of understand why so many were ‘email in profile for pictures’ as between anonymous free image hosting getting harder and STW changes it has become a bit of a chew

But the STW changes in this case mean it has become not a chew at all. That particular problem is completely fixed.

russyh
    Free Member

Chips

can i have your email address then please? I have sent various emails to people at STW today in order to find out who to complain to as it’s blatently obvious people are not being listened to on the forum

thanks

Drac

Chipps@

dumbbot
    Free Member

our hard-working tech guys

will be able to get it all working smoothly to everyone’s satisfaction.

Well seeing as they did such a great job on the forum upgrade, who could doubt it for a second..

hodgynd
    Free Member

There’s a classified forum ?

Can’t say that I’ve ever looked in it ..and possibly never will..

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I’ve had to bookmark the new Classifieds.

But can someone tell me how do you access the classifieds site cos I cannot a see a heading on the website unless I am missing something.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

I love how the old classifieds is still sitting there, like the lifeless skeleton of a once happier time…..

andytherocketeer

Erm… is that the “Classifieds” link right in the menu bar at the top of the page?

Ok it is a fancy menu bar that disappears and reappears, but it’s exactly where all the other links are

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks Andy if that is the case then it has completely disappeared from my page

Bez

It’s hidden on mobile, though. Tucked away under the hamburger.

And once you get there on mobile, try figuring out how to post an ad.

I couldn’t figure it out, had to ask.

Turns out the hidden contents of the hamburger menu change depending on where you are. So having used the hamburger menu, which didn’t contain a “Create ad” link, to get to the classifieds, you then have to forget what you learned on the way and somehow realise that the hamburger menu is now completely different.

I die a bit inside whenever I visit it. Sadly I think I’ve settled on the obvious solution to that, though 🙁

tomhoward

There’s a classified forum ?

Can’t say that I’ve ever looked in it ..and possibly never will..

Some people in the classifieds think that about the main forum

vincienup
    Free Member

But the STW changes in this case mean it has become not a chew at all. That particular problem is completely fixed.

Fair point, but emailing for pictures wasn’t such an issue I don’t think.  The only real annoyance I can think of that it sometimes caused was sales frequently conducted by email after forum introduction, so other viewers had no idea if something was sold if the post hadn’t been updated.  Would still be nice to see the earlier changes to the main forum finished and working properly for everyone though.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just had a look, seems okay once you scroll past the paid for ads. Photos look a bit weird, they’re all stretched to fit into the dimesions that the webpage requires I guess. Look at this gorgeous Jones for example, look at the length of those chanistays!!!

Latest Classified Ads

Browsing on a laptop BTW, don’t know if it looks better on a mobile device.

stevie750

I posted a couple of adds yesterday from a mobile, no issues at all.

I quite like that it hosts the pictures as I always found trying to get the pictures into flikr and then into the add the most annoying thing about posting one

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I used the new classified last night for the 1st time thought it was much better get your pics on there very easy don’t know why everybody is moaning at the end of the day it is free been waiting since 2003/04 for that to happen.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Managed to post an ad for some shimano XT 165mm cranks from a mobile.

Was pretty painless and didnt have to externally host photos.

scc999

Can someone explain the logic of leaving ads for items that have sold in the listings?

It’s marked as sold in the comments, there’s a small SOLD box against the ad – so what’s the point of it being there more than a week later?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Crikey that looks a big improvement, once I found it to see what the fuss was about. Bit confusing to have a for sale & classified link.

Pictures too! And in colour!

Might be usable now.

nuke

My 2 gripes are simple really…first is a link so you can go to the classifieds from the main forum menus which should be easy enough to sort now the old classifieds is closed.

Second is i like to skim the classifieds quickly which means i don’t like spending ages scrolling & scrolling so if there was an option to hid pics & the search boxes off the main classifieds page, I’d pretty much be able to scroll down quickly like the old classifieds

nixie

I’d also like the option to view the new classifieds more like a list but other than that its better than the old one.

Since the old forums are closed they really need to be removed from the forum links.

Oh and can we have an exiles forum to banishes persistent moaners to please. 😀

cooie

The old classifieds are still a good way to check someones history when purchasing, as the new ones have ads deleted after 14 days. Would be a real shame to get rid completely.

Cougar

A few people have reported that the listings aren’t displaying for them, either at all or when logged out.  I’ve been testing with STW and this looks to be caused by browser adblockers.

singletrackmag
    Free Member

Coole,

If you click a users name in the new classifieds you get a record of their ad history including ads that have expired from the mainn listing.

Drac

Oh and can we have an exiles forum to banishes persistent moaners to please

Mehworld imploded sometime back.

oldtalent
    Free Member

We can confirm that Ad-blockers do interfere with the classifieds.

I withdraw my previous statement that this may be usable. Wont be disabling that.

martinhutch

Well, it is an ad-blocker I suppose. Only doing its job. Shame, used to enjoy a quick lunchtime browse.

Cougar

“When I browse the forum in a manner which breaks the T&Cs of the site it doesn’t work properly.”

Site Terms & Conditions

Singletrackworld is an ad supported website. As a non-premier, registered user you are accepting that the displaying of ads in your browser is the cost of being a registered user and you agree that you will not block these ads. If you block the ads we reserve the right to suspend your account and/or block our content from displaying in your browser. In addition you agree not to promote the use of ad blocking on our site in either story comments or forum posts.

… y’know, just saying.

Drac

scotroutes

We can confirm that Ad-blockers do interfere with the classifieds

Once they’ve worked out why, expect the whole forum to go the same way 😂

cooie

If you click a users name in the new classifieds you get a record of their ad history including ads that have expired from the mainn listing.

Brilliant, thanks 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Why would adblockers interfere with viewing “posts” on a forum when you can still see the things which are paid for (the posts that stay at the top of the forum no matter how old they are) which are actually ads?

On a slightly different note why do i keeo aeeing this on closed threads?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

Am I a secret superuser?

wwaswas

I suspect it’s how the page is constructed  – it essentially flags the content as adverts to the blocker. I’m not an expert but the css etc is fairly explicit about what the content is!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I suspect it’s how the page is constructed – it essentially flags the content as adverts to the blocker

On my device/browser combo it flags the ads as content and the content as ads, apparently.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘So they said they would…. (new classifieds)’ is closed to new replies.