Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 448 total)
  • So they said they would…. (new classifieds)
  • Drac

Yeah sorry wasn’t clear there – people won’t report it if it is just a poster because it is the internet and dicks be dicks. The second but was what I was trying to get at. People’s perception of the message is entirely influenced by who the messenger is. Anyone who has even a smidgen of officialdom or power, or who can be even slightly deemed to be representing “the man” has to appear to be cleaner than clean. No amount of disclaimers about “opinions are my own” will change that, sadly

Ah yeah get you now. People do report and mods also spot them.

Some mods remain anonymous for that reason Cromolyolly so they don’t get judged and criticised, some as I say just jump on the mods because they’re mods.

Cougar

Anyone who has even a smidgen of officialdom or power, or who can be even slightly deemed to be representing “the man” has to appear to be cleaner than clean. No amount of disclaimers about “opinions are my own” will change that, sadly

Yeah, no.
    I’m a forum user first and foremost. People can infer what they like, that’s their outlook and I can’t help that. What you’re describing is that being a moderator and a user is mutually exclusive unless you’re willing to castrate yourself, and I can’t imagine any forum moderator anywhere buying into that unless they had a vested interest in the site.

sadexpunk

i quite like the new classifieds.

pluses….. pics of everything, location, and i like the list on the right so you can see ‘cars’, ‘bikes’, ‘brakes’ or ‘phones’ or whatever. no trawling through stuff youve no interest in.

minuses…..maybe not as many classified posters now but there just doesnt seem much on there. i get what people mean with the ‘browsing through a second hand shop’ style of the old classifieds. people maybe just cant be bothered putting up their used chromecasts and the like now, which would be useful impulse buys.

looks a worthwhile business model tho if some people are paying to boost their ads and stw have already made more wedge now than all those years of ‘donations’. i still dont look on there that often now, spose i just dont think there’ll be anything to interest me in there at present and lazyitis says its more clicks away rather than just keep flitting between the 4 tabs at the top all the time like i used to.

i think in general im one of the lucky ones, i dont really get any issues these days with the site across whatever platform i use. i use chrome on a chromebook and also on a macbook. yes i use an adblocker (whitelisted the classifieds) but i pay a sub so feel like im contributing, and with the double security of an AB and a P, i just dont get any pop-ups, flashing ads, pages jumping about or such like.

oh and i also think the mods do a good job. im contented. sorry to be so boring 😀

hardtailonly

^^^ stealth Mod 😉

RustySpanner

Despite using the most vanilla of setups, Android/Chrome/Windows, this place still has numerous unpleasant issues.

I never used the classifieds anyway, so not fussed about that, but it’s just more broken, less pleasant and less convenient to use than it used to be.
    So therefore I use it less.

chipster

Rusty Spanner

Subscriber
    Despite using the most vanilla of setups, Android/Chrome/Windows, this place still has numerous unpleasant issues.

I never used the classifieds anyway, so not fussed about that, but it’s just more broken, less pleasant and less convenient to use than it used to be.
    So therefore I use it less.

+1 What Rusty says.

toblerone1

I am actually bored of reading about the new classifieds.

If you don’t like it don’t use it, if you do and can live with its ongoing development then great…

There really are more important things to worry about in life.

vinnyeh

I can only guess you’re receiving this thread in one of those damned popups then.
    Have you tried using an adblocker?

simondbarnes

I’ve just created an ad from my phone and it was a simple, straightforward process. Quite like it 😀

RustySpanner

🙂 Don’t have an adblocker and don’t seem to suffer any issues relating to that.

Don’t get the popups anymore, seem to stay logged in just fine.

It’s the formatting issues etc that make the difference, along with the much, much less intuitive site layout.

Things are slowly getting fixed and I’m sure we’ll get there.

I find some of the criticism of Drac and Cougar very sad and unecessary.
    If that comes across as ‘fawning’ so be it. They seem like decent people doing what they can because they care.

Bez

If you don’t like it don’t use it,

So, er, if you don’t like reading about the classifieds, don’t read threads about the classifieds.

It’s a lot like your own advice, except that the threads you previously liked haven’t actually been closed down and replaced by threads that you find less favourable 😉

cromolyolly
    Free Member

People can infer what they like, that’s their outlook and I can’t help that.

That’s half the problem, as I pointed out. That’s their perception and, as you say, you can’t do anything about it.

You don’t have to castrate yourself as a user if you are a mod, but you maybe can’t express yourself as, er, freely, as you might if you weren’t a mod, if you want to be an effective mod. Even a mild insult in a foreign language will get picked up on if you are a mod, whereas if you are just a user not many will notice or care. It will affect how effective a mod is and will inevitably affect how people respond. Which in turn affects how the mood of the forum goes.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’ve just created an ad from my phone and it was a simple, straightforward process. Quite like it 😀

Nope not seeing it. Maybe turn the adblocker on your phone off?

scotroutes

Really??

https://singletrackworld.com/members/simondbarnes/forums/

martinhutch

Really??

https://singletrackworld.com/members/simondbarnes/forums/

<cough> ads on the new classifieds don’t appear on that list

simondbarnes

Really??

Do keep up. The classifieds are a separate section on the site now, not a forum.

scotroutes

justinbieber

I’m sure this has been covered before, but I’m sure someone somewhere has said that the propensity of pop ups and their dubious nature is more to do with your personal browsing history than the site itself? Or was that the ads? I dunno.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do keep up. The classifieds are a separate section on the site now, not a forum.

Ah I missed that in the update, was that in the email, forum post or pop up? If it’s the pop up I’ve probably blocked it.

justinbieber

Ah I missed that in the update, was that in the email, forum post or pop up? If it’s the pop up I’ve probably blocked it.

I could have told you about this on Tuesday in The Bank 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah that is how we are communicating there 😉 I could be I forgot as the sneck was good!!

scotroutes

Remember when the forum was getting upgraded because it – and the website – had been developed piecemeal over the years and was all separate bits with no consistent record of users etc?

justinbieber

ah that is how we are communicating there 😉 I could be I forgot as the sneck was good!!

Aye, it was much more fun talking about the bike ride we’d just been on, having a pint (or two) and some good food, rather than getting our knickers in a twist over a website 😂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What a week ago Scotroutes?
    From my world…..

True James, but it has to be said there are a heap of communication issues going on here.

weeksy

ANyone else unable to add photos ? I just get a spinny circle thing. Thought i’d try an advert for my forks… but it’s not playing.

craig24
    Free Member

ANyone else unable to add photos ? I just get a spinny circle thing. Thought i’d try an advert for my forks… but it’s not playing.

Same for me, tried Windows Chrome, Windows Firefox and my iPhone.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Me too, I just came on this thread to check if this was only happening to me…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Also can’t upload images – endless spinny circle.

Here’s an exmaple of the pop-ups which I’m getting:

Not going to disable the antivirus software to see what it actually is, but this is the only site where the AV starts kicking off. It is absolutely not malware or anything on this machine – it’s specific to STW.

cp

finally got round to trying the ads:-

Three attempts to upload images – uploaded several images and last one got stuck on spinny loady thing. after waiting 10 mins for the last image to upload I had to go to preview then edit then upload then preview then edit then upload…. eventually got it loaded. chrome on win10… glad I wasn’t on mobile!

Can the text box you enter ad text in be made wider? Whilst you can make it longer, it’s a bit ridiculously thin (chrome on win10).

multiple category selection would be good. i.e. ‘clearout’ is all well and good, but doesn’t define the content if someone is searching for something specific.

Ability to pick which image is the ‘headline’ image would be nice.

Dissapointed that my ad wont appear to people who use adblocking. Hence no chance of me paying for an ad if the market has been considerably restricted in such a way.

As a browser of the classifieds, it would be nice to be able to toggle the view so you could switch the images on and off in the classifieds overview page. Would be particularly handy on mobile to get rid of the massive images.

Be good if the search guff could be expandable or something – as it stands it dominates the entire screen on mobile and looks like there are no ads.

As a subscriber do we get a free new mouse wheel every 6 months? so much scrolling now!!!

cp

ARG… Why on earth are listing titles truncated on mobile view?! Nothing learnt from the main forum switch?????

andrewh
    Free Member

Have I found a new bug?
    Big clearout, huge list of things. Word says 4925 charactors, classified say no, your post must be under 5000.
    Is it just me…?
    Trimmed down version there (Gordon the cat not for sale!)

Poopscoop

As a browser of the classifieds, it would be nice to be able to toggle the view so you could switch the images on and off in the classifieds overview page. Would be particularly handy on mobile to get rid of the massive images

Yes please! I love browsing the classifieds, sometimes just window shopping other times buying stuff for the latest project. The big pics on mobile make this a bit of a pain.

Be great to be able to toggle pics on or off…. Even if Boosted ones have to stay displayed for obvious reasons. I could live with that.👍

russyh
    Free Member

Nearly another week on, sad when the onlybthread on this place to get people excited is one of a bike shop closing and commuting fraud! Even then the new owner of the business had replied more than the STW team have over this complete debacle! It’s fairly obvious with the slow rate of traffic on the new classifieds that no one is using the system really and paid adverts are so few and far between it’s created no real revenue that I can see! But well done for bringing down the rest of the website!

dumbbot
    Free Member

If you hurry on over to the classfieds you can purchase some top quality swimming pools and stem crafters…hurry now.

Not even the mods bother going over to the classfieds to deal with the spam any more, thats how much of a barren wasteland it has become. I hope STW towers invested the money from those initial 10 boosted ads wisely.

cooie

Such a shame they’ve ruined them. Only 11 wtd ads in a week😕 How to successfully snub your members🙄

geex
    Free Member

Someone finally bothered to put a link from the forum to the classifieds up next to the other links.
    A bit like opening a shop and not bothering to put a sign up or clean the whiteed out window for the first two months. but bravo.

scotroutes

Someone finally bothered to put a link from the forum to the classifieds up next to the other links.
    A bit like opening a shop and not bothering to put a sign up or clean the whiteed out window for the first two months. but bravo.

Still not removed the links on the Forum “home page” though.

kaiser
    Free Member

I’m genuinely gutted by the classifieds being ruined.Used to love browsing daily if not more.Now barely worth doing once a week.Whoever suggested and implemented the changes should be ashamed of the disaster they produced.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The old classifieds were much slower traffic wise at this time of year…..but not anywhere as slow as the new ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘So they said they would…. (new classifieds)’ is closed to new replies.