Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So, these massive reductions in vehicle runnng costs?
  • dangerousbeans
    Free Member

NHS community staff have had a 20% reduction in the mileage rate this year as payments are made based upon the AA estimate of vehicle running costs.

A quick look at the NHS Employers website shows that Insurance and servicing costs have halved between 2013 and 2014!!!!

I’m not seeing such reductions.

Is anyone?

weeksy

Yup…

Although it may be due to working from home more 😉

bails

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    totalshell

what is the nhs mileage rate..

bol

I think individual NHS organisations are responsible for their own policy – although most will follow NHSE sooner or later.

Ultimately there will be no stone unturned in bridging the gap between budget and demand, and as the NHS’s greatest cost is it’s staff, expect more of the same until it all breaks.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Mileage is now paid under Agenda for Change so all staff get the revised figure except medics who remain unchanged.

The rate for using your own car is still not bad (54p per mile for the first 3500 miles) but you have to have it available at work at all times on the community teams so no going in by bike/public transport.

It was the assertion that insurance costs and servicing costs have more than halved in the pat 12 months and the total cost of running a car reduced by 20% that I can’t get my head round.

ericemel
    Free Member

We are – with servicing costs covered for 5 years with the exception of tyres on our new car and averaging 62mpg it is cheap motoring!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So I just need to buy a new car every year?

user-removed
    Free Member

And slightly off topic… Mrs Removed has to work between several hospitals / clinics daily. Recently, most of the staff had their parking permits revoked so they now have to either pay the ridiculous car park fees or risk the wrath of the locals by parking on residential streets and walking a good way with piles of kit / sensitive paperwork which can’t be left in the car.

expect more of the same until it all breaks

This.

somouk
    Free Member

Our company have updated their manuals to say they offer the government recommended refund rate as opposed to a company making numbers up.

Seems like a fairer way of doing things and works out about right.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

(54p per mile

Blow me! And you’re complaining?

I had to buy a car when I changed roles, bought a 4 year old C-max 1.6 petrol, the empitomy of a boring average car. Not some fancy 60+mpg thing. And I think I paid off the car, plus all the costs or running it in 2 years at 45p/mile (about 1000 miles a month). And that was while petrol was 1.40 a litre.

ericemel
    Free Member

Nah the depreciation will kill you.

But longer term it can make sense some sense.

And remember you can claim back the difference from HMRC is your company doesn’t cover the statutory minimum

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

MoreCashThanDash

Makes my 45p per mile look a bit measley, though the tax man will want to know about the difference?

JAG

54p per mile

Blimey – that’s good!! The Private Company I work for give me 34p per mile for my 2.0 Diesel. I own the car and pay for all other costs.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Blow me! And you’re complaining?

I had to buy a car when I changed roles, bought a 4 year old C-max 1.6 petrol, the empitomy of a boring average car. Not some fancy 60+mpg thing. And I think I paid off the car, plus all the costs or running it in 2 years at 45p/mile (about 1000 miles a month). And that was while petrol was 1.40 a litre.

Makes my 45p per mile look a bit measley, though the tax man will want to know about the difference?

I wasn’t actually complaining about the rate but was wondering about how they figure certain costs have fallen by so much and if others had noticed big drops in costs.

And I’d take a flat rate of 45p a mile for 1000 miles per month gladly as ours drops to 20p per mile after 3500.

You’d get 45p x 12000 = £5400

Id get 54p x 3500 then 20p for the remaining 8500 miles = £3600

So in a year you’d be £1800 better off.

So it’s yours that looks good, not ours.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Aye Mark, my wife was just on about this yesterday…

She now gets hammered for all the driving she has to do.. 😕

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So (as long as my calculations are correct):

12000 miles at 54p for the first 3500 and 20 p for the remaining 8500 works out at 30 p per mile average.

Fair bit less than your 45p then and a little less that JAG’s 34p per mile.

ericemel
    Free Member

And I’d take a flat rate of 45p a mile for 1000 miles per month gladly as ours drops to 20p per mile after 3500.

Remember you can claim back the difference form HMRC!

molgrips
    Free Member

My cost of motoring has dropped, because I now use energy saving tyres that last 60k+ miles and have given me another 5-7mpg; and because I’m doing my own servicing.

tthew

Is it a requirement of the NHS contract that you have to supply a car? Would they not have to supply a pool/hire car if you just said you weren’t prepared to use your own in future?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Remember you can claim back the difference form HMRC!

not entirely – you claim back the tax you paid. ie ~20% of the difference.

MoreCashThanDash

Claim back the balance up to the 45p! It’s what we had to do until we were merged with, er, HMRC 😕

Insurance costs seem to gave dropped, newer cars use less fuel and have longer service intervals, but not noticed any big reductions overall..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My cost of motoring has dropped, because I now use energy saving tyres that last 60k+ miles and have given me another 5-7mpg; and because I’m doing my own servicing.

Whereas I tried energy saving tyres and it made absolutely no difference at all that I could measure. Placebo effect I think….. That said, they’re lasting very well so I’ll probably get the same again. Looks like the set will get well over 30,000 miles, when the OE Continental tyres the car same with we’re shot by 16,000.

br
    Free Member

what is the nhs mileage rate..

67ppm at ours…, although there are a load of complications behind it – but that is the rate for +1500cc

votchy
    Free Member

My wife is a health visitor, no mileage rate for her, has to pay extra for business use insurance and she cannot get a parking permit so gets hit several times a year with parking fines (ticket issued in residential areas in the time it takes to walk to visit to obtain guest parking permit and return to car to display in screen, private company will not revoke ticket once issued even with NHS supporting documentation etc), so her costs are rising as we cannot afford a new car so year on year they get dearer to run 🙁

gwaelod
    Free Member

We aren’t allowed to use our own cars for business mileage….pool cars only. No expenses paid. Its odd how rules vary across public sector.

molgrips
    Free Member

Placebo effect I think

Lol.. So your single test on your car coming from your previous tyres with your purchased tyres is definitive and renders any other observations worthless, and those making them unscientific?

Damn that’s cocky!

MoreCashThanDash

Gwaelod- we are encouraged to use hire cars for journeys over 100 miles, as the daily rate from the hire car company makes it cheaper than using our own cars.

From the experience of myself and other more “assertive” colleagues, it pays to he nice to tbe hire car company staff. It helps focus their mind when they haven’t got the “Astra” sized car you ask for available. A bolshy colleague of mine launches regular rants when they have to downsize him to a 107 or I10. It really infuriates him when i get a call to say they haven’t got something in Astra class available, would it be ok if they gave me a free upgrade to a CRV, 3 series or whatever. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

My insurance costs have dropped hugely over the last 2 years.

Same vehicles, same cover, same postcode etc.

This years will cost £465 total for the two vehicles.

Two years ago it cost me £785

(I’m old enough for it to make no difference, and have had full no claims for a long while, so it’s not that that’s made the difference)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its the depreciation

Id have to go back and see what it reverted too after so many miles it did drop, but I did I think pay for the car with the ‘profit’ so after I moved back I effectively got the car for free. So no depreciation.

And even if it was depreciating it would be a cost incoured by most people anyway, unless you do gallactic millages then a few work miles wont add much to the depreciation.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Is it a requirement of the NHS contract that you have to supply a car?

Yes, if you want a community job, must supply your own car to certain parameters set by the NHS.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So, these massive reductions in vehicle runnng costs?’ is closed to new replies.