Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • So, these Five Ten winterized jobbies…
  • starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Right you lovely lot, this is my first new topic. I’m looking for some new Five Tens and the ’winterzied’ shoes seem to make a lot of sense, with a couple of UK stores now stocked. But, there are certain features about the VXi models that worry me, other than the eye watering price and retina burning colours. Couple of reviews – Dirt and VitalMTB – both mention that, although they have mega grip when weighted, even a slight unweighting and you’re slipping around (not exactly good for climbing or very rough sections). Plus the lack of tread on a shoe that’s already not the best for hike-a-bike. So I’m thinking maybe the ’Winterized’ regular freerider with the original stealth sole might be the better bet. Anyone had any experience of the VXi so far?

rickon
    Free Member

Right, forget the nonsense about the lack of grip when climbing. There isn’t. They grip very well indeed, I’ve been riding with them for about 2 months now and lost a pedal maybe once or twice. I’ve not noticed any significant difference between these and the standard freeriders.

They’re thin, and well ventilated – so for me, that means in the wet they’ll dry quicker and not soak up the water.

My problem with the winterised version is that they’re essentially a closed shoe, with a low ankle. So water gets in, and can’t get out.

What I’d do is get some VXis, and then spray them with some DWR stuff.

The VXIs are by far the best 5:10 riding shoe I’ve used, light, thin, sensitive, movable, and just so less bulky it feels more like a disco slipper than a big DH shoe.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

rikon – awesome, exactly the kind of info I was after! Many thanks indeedy.

rickon
    Free Member

Also, get some Sealskinz socks. They’re pretty warm, and they’ll give you an extra bit of waterproofing.

I’ll be DWR’ing my VXis at some point, it’s just been too dry to bother since I’ve had them. I’ll be writing a report and posting it up after.

geologist
    Free Member

I bought some vxi’s a month ago, and to be honest wish I had kept my money, and just ridden in my skate shoes!

Ill sell you mine if ya want im an 8, make me a sensible offer 🙂

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Mmmm. I tried waterproof socks before and they just became vessels of sweat. Be interested in your write up.

Geologist – interesting. What didn’t you get on with in particular?

The other option I’m considering is buying these Hi Tecs and getting the pedal section of the sole belt-sanded and resoled by Feet First. The actual cost of all that would be cheaper than buying the Five Tens. Much like this guy has done.

geologist
    Free Member

yeah, I rode in my old skate type shoes for about a year of deciding whether or not flats were for me. About a month ago I decided they were (for some riding anyway), so I bought the new Five Tens. The amount of extra grip they give me over my old skates shoes is negligible, and defo not worth the 90 quid I paid. Ive kept the old Odessa skate shoes, and when the Five Tens are ruined, Ill go back to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘So, these Five Ten winterized jobbies…’ is closed to new replies.