Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • so there's a pretty strong possibility I'll be getting sacked today…
  • PrinceJohn
    Free Member

And do you know what, I hope I do, it’ll be a relief.
    I’m fed up of a work load that involves me working for an average of 10 hours a day with only a 30 minute break for lunch, having practically no support.

I’m fed up of waking up at 4am and worrying about work, not being able to get back to sleep but most of all i’m fed up of being bullied by my boss who every time something goes wrong the finger of blame gets pointed in my direction. I’m fed up of feeling nervous every day before I go to work and on the way to work. I’m fed up of not being able to commute by bike as I never know when I’m going to leave in the evening. So yeah thanks for listening, and anyone in Cornwall got any jobs going?

racefaceec90

sounds like a right nightmare tbh.

do what you feel is right for you

good luck by the way with whatever happens 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

If you don’t get sacked, resign.

kimbers

What badnewz says

Good luck

kfish
    Free Member

Been there, bud, and do you know what? They probably won’t sack you and the pain of your situation will continue.

I was ‘performance managed’out of a job I truly loved, the stress just grew, day after day after day. Whilst telling me my work wasn’t achieving their targets, they had the nerve to offer me counselling for the stress they were causing me. Grrr.

I feel your pain because your post sounds just like the turmoil I experienced just over a year ago, I resigned and told them my reason was I wouldn’t let them blemish my professional reputation, by using HR and its policies in such an unprofessional way.

Stay strong, it’s not you at fault. Cut loose and preserve your integrity and sanity. No job is worth your health, mental or physical.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a job like that, felt much better when I was gone. Anything keeping you in cornwall?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wee in your boss’s shoes and don’t go back after lunch.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve been there too. I went into my ‘final’ performance meeting and pretty much said in going, they said they were planning on keeping me which was an obvious lie. I am so glad I went. I hated that feeling of being sick, and being sick all the time. The sleepless nights and the weekends (when I wasn’t working) spent lying on my bed anxious. I regret not going sooner but it’s hard to see that at the time.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Sounds tough.

Just think….this is your life, everyday that passes feeling like that is a day you wont get back. Cut your losses and go. You’ll be ok and it’ll be the best thing you ever did.

In the words of the sports brand “just do it” and start enjoying life.

Oh and if you do what rorschach said make sure he’s wearing them.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Cheers for all the positive vibes..

If I make it through today, I’ll be handing my notice in tomorrow… It’s a shame to end it like this, I’ve been there for 17 years, and it’s the last year or so where it’s gone downhill rapidly. Shame really…

bamboo
    Free Member

Good luck… You shouldn’t have to put up with that, life is too short!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The next few days may be tough, they were for me, but then you get a great feeling that it’s all over and you can enjoy your life.

JCL
    Free Member

Open a pasty shop.

catcher
    Free Member

Tell them to ram it, and go.

br
    Free Member

If I make it through today, I’ll be handing my notice in tomorrow… It’s a shame to end it like this, I’ve been there for 17 years, and it’s the last year or so where it’s gone downhill rapidly. Shame really…

Or, go on the ‘offensive’ and tough it out?

Some days I reckon I’m not in IT but a Proctologist – ie Bottom Doctor, because I deal with ar5eholes. 😆

Cougar

Life’s too short to be in a job you hate. Been there, got the migraines. I will say one thing though; it’s immeasurably easier to get a good, well paid job when you’ve already got one.

kcal

Felt like his for the last year or so in my last ‘proper’ job. Thankfully got made redundant, as I was ready to quit anyway. Good luck fella.

dave360

I always wondered how long you would keep on getting paid if you just stopped working…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hand your notice in today, don’t give them the satisfaction.

wwaswas

Hand your notice in today, don’t give them the satisfaction.

unless there’s any possibility you’ll be trying to claim unemployment benefit in which case wait to be sacked or you’ll get nowt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Half hour lunch (or work through it) and 10hrs a day is pretty standard for me. On the odd occasion the pace has dropped off I’ve not really known what to do with myself and feel at a bit of a loss! Same with everywhere I’ve worked.

But the comments are right, if you don’t enjoy it there’s no point toughing it out longer than it takes to find a decent replacement job.

hora
    Free Member

It gets better. I had a hideous experience back in 2003 with a woman MD who was a chain-smoking man hater. At least it was July for me- so I had two months of the best Summer ever to enjoy 😀

Hand your notice in today

Then investigate a possible claim for constructive dismissal. If you do hand in your notice write the reasons in there. That can be used later as evidence.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

With everything your going though it sounds like your dealing with a lot of stress and very probably depressed, phone in sick see your doctor and get signed off. This will give you some breathing space weeks or even months if you need it. I prescribe riding your bike everyday, all those endorphins will do you the wonder of good and set to work proper job hunting, you will be suprised how quick you can find a new job when your job is finding a job.

hooli

I would take notes of everything, what was said, by who and when. Put everything on paper.

Will help your constructive dismisal case when you open it 😉

Good luck

mudshark
    Free Member

Is there a chance of redundancy? Wouldn’t want to miss out on that.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Does he really want to go down a constructive dismisal route? Sounds like the job has been painful enough for the last 12 months, why extend that even further.

It’s time to walk away, get on with your life and do something that makes you happy.

jekkyl

don’t resign, go sick and go ride your bike while getting paid for it.
    😀

marko75
    Free Member

I think the getting signed off on the sick for bike riding therapy is a grand idea.

Constructive dismissal is probably the best form of action to take – this way your reputation stays in tact and you get some satisfaction at the end 🙂

good luck

edit: can you take it a Dictaphone today and record everything

grum
    Free Member

As above – you definitely need to get out of there soon but it might be worth taking a minute to consider the best exit strategy. Good luck!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

sounds shit dude, i found myself in a position of loathing my job but i have to say it wasn’t nearly half as bad as you were experiencing…….i told myself i couldn’t afford to leave, etc…. i was miserable and it really effected my personal life to the extent i forgot how to enjoy myself and what was important. Anyway now i work in a bike shop and i’m much happier…funny that, don’t get me wrong it’s not with it’s own challenges and the pay is terrible but i actually look forward to tomorrow now. Good luck

edlong
    Free Member

While constructive dismissal is definitely an option, and advice above is good, ESPECIALLY detailing the reasons in the letter if you do resign (including stating that you feel you have no option but to resign), be aware that CD is one of the harder ones to prove (and win) at tribunal. You will struggle to get a lawyer to take it on pro bono, added to which you have to front up some cash these days to even go to ET.

That said, some employers will take a risk based approach and offer some sort of payout (with a “compromise agreement” including confidentiality commitments from both sides) if there is even a threat of a tribunal.

Also, if you are in one of those industries where everyone knows everyone (no idea if this applies), the reality is that a potential employee who has a history of taking people to ET can be a barrier to being hired. Shouldn’t be, but in reality, it can.

Definitely look to get out one way or another if this job is affecting your health (including mental) which it really sounds like it is.

boblo
    Free Member

Get signed off for 6 weeks with work related stress and raise a grievance for constructive dismissal. That’ll put the wind up the feckers.

Speshpaul

As they finish today just say thanks thats enough for constructive diss. see you in court.

ste_t
    Free Member

I see 2 options.

1) fight back and open a constructive dismissal case. I know there are now fees involves for tribunal claims which has seen a massive decline in cases, so ensure you document EVERYTHING to give you have the best chance of success.

2) get the hell out of there, cut all ties and live your life.

allthepies
    Free Member

Why do you think they want to sack you ?

edward2000
    Free Member

If you do get sacked, is their a case of unfair dismissal? On what grounds are they going to sack you? Do you think you have committed gross misconduct? If its performance related have they given you the necessary warnings?

If you do get sacked you probably wont get a reference, or a reference which says you were sacked, which wont look good.

If you resigned your reference obviously wouldn’t say you were sacked, thus id be tempted to resign.

theotherjonv

Have you been through the process of performance targets, warnings about performance and all that? otherwise, not sure what you can be ‘sacked’ for unless it’s gross misconduct or similar?

If they are making you redundant (or rather – making the position redundant – which if you were so inclined might be difficult to justify if you are working 47.5 hour weeks and not underperforming) then you should be able to negotiate a redundancy payment to just go quietly.

If they don’t – and your feeling is that they aren’t because they want to make it shit enough that you leave anyway – I might be tempted to call their bluff on this, mention that you feel this might be their intention, that you are uncomfortable with the process and end the interview there saying that you want to reconvene after you’ve taken advice. Just enough to make them think whether the redundancy option to make you go quietly is a better one for them too.

I agree with all the life’s too short advice above; however if you are determined to leave anyway, don’t chuck your hand in straightaway if there’s a chance of easing your burden in the short term. Sounds like they aren’t behaving brilliantly so don’t feel bad about dishing some medicine back.

[edit] and then crap in their chimney

Coyote
    Free Member

If you have got something to go to then all well and good. Otherwise you need to tough it out whilst looking for another job. It took me 10 months from starting to look to quitting my old job and starting my new role. Sorting your CV, contacting agencies and generally investigating your options can be a great tonic to a shitty work environment. I know.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

The reason, I allowed an essential stock item to run low, ordered more and there are currently none in the country till later next week. So as it stops us producing anything in house it’s a big issue. This is an item until now that has always been available on a next day service…

wwaswas

I can see losing 2 weeks production is going to cause a bit of upset. After 17 years I’d expect it to be a big bollocking/written warning job though unless you have previous in this area? I’ve not worked in this area though.

If you are pee’d off with them it’s a good way to get your revenge, though, shutting the place down for a fortnight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘so there's a pretty strong possibility I'll be getting sacked today…’ is closed to new replies.