• This topic has 206 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by csb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)
  • So then… Top Gear
  • Harry_the_Spider

Chris Harris in a blow up dinosaur suit getting hit with golf balls. I laughed until my head hurt.

Merak

Admit to loling quite alot too.

The boorish behaviour seems to have subsided from th first series, and there is a charm and chemistry that wasn’t present with the previous middle class incumbents.

maxtorque

Return to form i think! Lets see if they can keep it up for the rest of the series…….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

where’s that estuary crossing?

andrewreay

Was fully prepared to find it puerile and oafish.

Sadly, I found myself laughing out loud. Quite a lot.

Thought they all came across really well, especially Paddy McGuiness.

Will definitely tune in next week.

The Stokes gags at Flintoff’s expense, and his own reference to JC were particular highlights, of many.

👍👍👍

oldnpastit

Very good.

Caher

The bungee car was scary.

deserter
    Free Member

‘Aim for his teeth’😂

halifaxpete

Enjoyed it, quite afew lolz moments and Flintoffs bungee jump was properly sketchy/mental.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Best for ages..there is a different kind of chemistry developing ..although I still think McGuiness is too far up himself ..
    Hats off to Freddy though ..nee way would you get me even thinking about that car bungee jump ..the bloke has huge gonads!

mindmap3
    Free Member

That wasn’t a bad episode at all….I saw it being filmed back in December.

There is actually chemistry between them; between takes etc they mucked around and genuinely seemed to quite enjoy each other’s company.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

where’s that estuary crossing?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/51%C2%B051’53.0%22N+1%C2%B014’38.0%22E

Horsey Island, Essex. It’s where the later Swallows and Amazons books are set.

bikebouy
    Free Member

At least one of them is a motor journalist that can drive, other than that freddie looks like he’s calmed down a bit (but it is the first one of 6 so I reserve the right change my mind) Don’t like McGuiness at all.. I think we need subtitles when he comes on.

6/10

The only really interesting bit was why they bungijumped a car and Freddie did it. It wasn’t;t funny and didn’t show/prove anything.

Actually

5/10

tomhoward

Didn’t previous Top Gear do a ‘shit car is faster than a supercar, if you drop it’ type thing a while a go? They raced a Porsche a mile across a desert, while a beetle did a mile vertically?

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I think we need subtitles when he comes on.

Well that sort of attitude belongs in the 1970’s.

stcolin
    Free Member

Didn’t previous Top Gear do a ‘shit car is faster than a supercar, if you drop it’ type thing a while a go? They raced a Porsche a mile across a desert, while a beetle did a mile vertically?

Thought exactly the same, they did. I think Freddie was genuinely bricking it!

Harry_the_Spider

Thought exactly the same, they did. I think Freddie was genuinely bricking it!

I bet he was! I wouldn’t have been happy looking down from the right side of the railing, let alone being dropped off it.

I wonder if that stunt had been set up for other broadcasters too as it seemed like a lot of effort and expense.

tomhoward

Looks to be the same place ‘a league of their own’ did a bungee jump on a euro road trip?

Harry_the_Spider

Just Googled it. There is a commercial Bungee Jump site there but I don’t know if they routinely chuck people off in cars. When it was in flight you could see that there was a fair amount of extra engineering going on with the underside of it and the rig that they dropped it from didn’t look cheap either.

It was also used for the jump at the start of Goldeneye.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wonder if that stunt had been set up for other broadcasters too as it seemed like a lot of effort and expense.

I was pondering that, but then Top Gear has a big budget and a few tens of thousands of pounds for ~ 10 of minutes of prime time TV isn’t all that much really. Especially when you consider how much it costs to just film them doing something normal like driving on some roads in Italy (flights for 30+ crew, plus say 60kg excess baggage each, hotels and hire cars for a week, logistics and admin of getting roads closed, camera hire, minicams, ‘talent’ wages, etc). A days crane hire and a steel box isn’t all that much in the scheme of things.

No worse than say building a set for Casualty, then crashing a car into it, and doing that every week.

And a Rover Metro wouldn’t work so well in other markets, so you’d need to have a similarly modified 2CV, 500, Lada, Beetle, etc.

tlr

There is a line of climbing wall holds all the way up that dam. They were visible in some shots.

Drac

Well that was much better Harris was even ok too. The bungee jump bit was superb I can’t recall anyone sitting in the beetle that was dropped in the desert. I give it 11/10 just for the bungee jump alone Flintoff was proper shitting himself.

Did anyone else spot the climbing wall on the dam face?

There is a line of climbing wall holds all the way up that dam. They were visible in some shots.

Oops! That’s what III get for leaving this page open.

Don’t like McGuiness at all.. I think we need subtitles when he comes on.

🤷🏻‍♂️

servo
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I think we need subtitles when he comes on.

Well that sort of attitude belongs in the 1970’s.

KO Boomer.

dthom3uk

One of the Blue Peter presenters did the climb up the dam as part of a Blue Peter challenge last year. I think it took 4 or 5 hours.

Houns

Enjoyed that

catfood
    Free Member

I did a job with Paddy McGunness a few years back and he was such an ocean going bell end that I and everybody there left the building with a deep hatred of him, I just can’t bring myself to watch it while he’s in it.

slackalice
    Free Member

I found it the funniest Top Gear I’ve watched for years and years. Brilliant entertainment and it felt as though the three of them enjoyed each other’s company and contributions.

Wayyyyyyy better than what has become the turgid three of Clarkson et al and significantly better than the previous Le Blanc era. I didn’t watch the first series of this lot as like others not a fan of Paddy, however, I thought he was very good in this.

10/10

Kryton57

Maybe because I’m tired I’m having a SOH fail, but I found that dull.  The three Cabriolet’s dull and childish, the Atom review somehow was dull when it shouldn’t have been, and although kudos for Flintoff for doing it, what was the point of the Metro Bungy?

Basically its just silly stuff with a car theme and barely informative viewing.   I’d rather watch Love Island.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, I hit the fast forward button. Very repetitive and unimaginative as always. Good to see that more people are enjoying it now though at least.

CountZero

I agree with most here, that was the most fun TG has been for ages. The golf range had me practically hyperventilating laughing at it, especially Harris in the Dino suit!
    The team do seem to have settled into a genuine camaraderie, and really do look they’re having fun.
    Flintoff’s bungee stunt was, frankly, bloody terrifying; I could barely bring myself to watch. You’ll never get me to do anything like that, ever.
    Oh, and I really, really want an Atom!

Drac

Basically its just silly stuff with a car theme and barely informative viewing.

Is this your first Top Gear you’ve watched in 25 years?

Speeder

I watched hoping that it wouldn’t be a repeat of the last series’ bully-fest where the 2 tall northern lads gang up on the short southern lad. Seemed a bit more like proper “bants” this episode and there does appear to be actual chemistry between them.

It’s still very much car based entertainment than a car show but at least CH keeps it real occasionally.

loved the Atom segment and the T-Rex.

Pook

he was such an ocean going bell end

how so? I keep hearing this

catfood
    Free Member

Rude, obnoxious and a total prima donna.

Marin
    Free Member

Big joeys, I rode most of that Nepal route on my P7 without the aid of the BBC or making a drama about it.

Drac

Big joeys, I rode most of that Nepal route on my P7 without the aid of the BBC or making a drama about it.

Which sections did you have the BBC aid you?

Marin
    Free Member

The bit were you need a special permit and a tour guide to enter obviously. Thanks for the donation.

Drac

Hey! It’s all thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded.

Marin
    Free Member

Haha that’s why I watched it at my mates I don’t have a telly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘So then… Top Gear’ is closed to new replies.