Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • So then colonoscopy – sedative or not?
  • mudmuncher

Was determined not to have a sedative so I could be aware of what was going on.

After the burly consultant stick a finger up there prior to inserting the scope I quickly changed my mind and asked them to hit me all the drugs they could!

In my case I was still conscious and aware of what was going on but the drugs took the edge off, a bit like have a few glasses of wine.

daern
    Free Member

I had a “top and tail” a few years ago and opted for sedative. I was told that I would be aware of the process, but it would make it a more pleasant experience.

What actually happened was that I was given the sedative, he got the camera out and I looked at the screen thinking “this will be cool”…and the next thing I remember was my wife looking at me as I came round. Was drowsy for the rest of the day and she drove me home.

10/10, would be sedated again. Life’s too short to be conscious while things are going down your throat or up your arse and, frankly, what help was I going to give him during the operation?

juanking

@trailwagger Will do mate, I’m sure I’ll have sometime to kill whilst on the throne after taking the two picolax sachets at once…

grtdkad

Oh picolax!

Let’s start a sweepstake to see how many steps away from the bathroom door you’re brave enough (capable) to take.

maccruiskeen

Was determined not to have a sedative so I could be aware of what was going on.

A lovely lady who was sort of my spare parent when I was growing up insisted on having a hip replacement without sedation. She just considered to be too interesting a thing to happen to her body without being around to witness it. She found the whole thing fascinating. I don’t think the surgeon was as keen about the whole scenario though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Definitely go for the sedative.

It’s one of the few instances where i’ve taken a day off work and actually been able to spend almost the entire day off relaxing.  It was worth it just for that.

brakes
    Free Member

why have so many of you had colonoscopies?

is this something they do in medical examinations when you reach a certain age?

GavinT
    Free Member

I had one of these a few years back. Yes I had Picolax and yes that was pretty “dramatic” but no big deal. Just needed to stay within sprinting distance of the toilet until sure completely empty.

For the procedure I was offered gas and air and jumped at it as I’ve often wondered what it was like – bit woozy like being slightly drunk/stoned but not a very strong effect.

It was marginally uncomfortable but more because it just felt so odd. Wasn’t painful or anything. Maybe I was just lucky.

grtdkad

“why have so many of you had colonoscopies?”

Me.  I’ve had cancer, actually in the neck / throat but  scans showed “areas of interest elsewhere” which turned out to be a benign polyp.  Hence endoscopy at both ends 🤔

Such fun, was aged 45 at the time.

maccruiskeen

the Picolax thread made it fashionable

grtdkad

😂

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩😳💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩😯💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩🙄💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩🤦‍♂️💩💩💩💩💥💥

brakes
    Free Member

I’m worried as I’ve got a medical coming up and that if I mention anything related to dodgy bowels then I’ll be booked in for one…

poah
    Free Member

.I can’t hold it any longer ..the biggest fart of my life nearly knocked the poor woman off her stool

You need to pass wind during the procedure anyway.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I’m 38 had 3 of the bloomin things so far. My advice … Find out who the heck is performing it. 2 of mine done by time served experienced consultants with no sedation were absolutely fine no sedation/gas air needed. The third done by a trainee under supervision was absolute hell as she (not that that matters) had poor control of the camera causing multiple looping and basically was using my bowel walls as an impenetrable force field and trying to punch through. Consultant took over half way through and pain stopped completely.

Appreciate training is needed but I wish they told me first. Took me a week or so before I could walk properly.

On the plus side the moviprep was fine .. Actually enjoyed the salty lemon flavour and being so clean 🙂

Why? Bad IBS now diagnosed as IBD from biopsies. Joy.

juanking

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yLXjdyzZtUjQScuWA

Here’s a photo of the bad boys…

I’m having it done because of he IBS like symptoms I’m experiencing.  After the lymphoma and subsequent treatment last year (as shared on here) my consultant is quite sure there will be scarring which has affected all this.  Usually things are ok but do have the occasional flare up so just trying to get a ‘proper’ diagnosis.  Had a precautionary CT scan and this is belts and braces..

downshep

Glad that photo is the ‘before’ shot.

dannybgoode

Ulcerative colitis for me. In fact it is the thought of yearly colonoscopies that makes a proctectomy an attractive option.

They are bad enough every few years but one every 365 days. Nah…

grtdkad

If anyone is pixolax-curious then just neck one litre of Sunsweet Prune Juice.  Fairly effective clean-out!

#tmi

jsync

Been in this morning. Nothing much to report, no sedation or other pain relief and it was fine, felt a little odd in places but nothing to worry about.

The moviprep rep tasted disgusting after the first couple of glasses so I mixed it with sprite.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had one about 10 years ago.

Was pretty nervous so as i laid on the bed i politely suggested that i’d be happy with all the sedation i could have.. I don’t remember anything after that.

Can’t see why you wouldn’t have a sedative? its not like you’ll need to pitch in and help..?

grtdkad

Good to hear. Well done.

midlifecrashes

Excellent, fingers legs crossed for the full all clear.

IBS type symptoms for months, a real pain to have on it’s own, but ruling out anything nasty that docs need to get knifey with, my mum died of colon cancer and my dad has diverticular disease among his list of ailments, so with that family history, best to keep an eye on things.

Before the deed, I was reading up on the procedure on the internet, apparently among Americans with the right health insurance, they consider it routine to book your first colonoscopy at 50 and then fairly regularly after that.

juanking

Cool, that’s slightly reassuring. I’ll share my experience after the ”inspection’ or perhaps whilst the picolax is doing its thing if I get bored stuck on the throne..

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

No sedation investigation 20 years ago, the pumping air in bit was incredibly uncomfortable as was the “I’m just taking a bowl lining sample you might feel a bit of tugging” and the nurse taking bloods afterwards was a bit put out after asking if I was OK when I replied “not really I’ve just had my arse inflated to a million psi”

the ride home on the motorcycle was memorable as the vibes generated a 30 minute fart.

juanking

Well I had the procedure today and whilst unpleasant it wasn’t ‘that’ bad. I double dropped the picolax yesterday 4 hours apart and after the first thought this isn’t so bad, then I took the second… Well that stuff certainly works and clears the pipes for sure, by last night I was weeing clear liquids from both front and back. I was working from home yesterday on conference calls as usual so could sprint/shuffle/mince to the toilet so that was a relief.

In the end I opted for the gas n air and found it generally ok, when he was changing direction I was on the entonox like a champ but certainly took the edge off.

Happy to say the visual inspection appeared fine but they took a couple of biopsies and photos to check/verify the IBS/D.

Time for wine.

jsync

👉🏻🍩🍷👍

funkmasterp

I had one a few years ago and it went a bit wrong. The clear out didn’t work and there was a stubborn bit of poo that the camera couldn’t get past. They tried blasting it with air, but the bugger wouldn’t shift. Not my finest moment

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So then colonoscopy – sedative or not?’ is closed to new replies.