Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • So then colonoscopy – sedative or not?
  • Premier Icon jsync

I’m lucky enough to be booked in for a colonoscopy on Wednesday, I’d rather not be sedated due to having to drive.  Has anyone got experience of them? Is that a terrible idea?

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Yes. Don’t let them talk you out of it. I’ve had three now. First time I had the sedative and it was ‘ok’ (these things being relative).

Second time they talked me out of it and it was incredibly uncomfortable and I vowed never again to not have the sedative.

Fast forward 6 years and my next one – having had most of my colon removed they assured me it would not be as bad so I shouldn’t need the sedative. Stupidly I listened to them…  **** did it hurt.

Premier Icon yunki
    Free Member

They missed the vein with my sedative last time and I only received paet of the dose..

It was a very unpleasant experience which resulted in them halting the procedure

I’d go for double sedative, a couple of valium and a stiff drink next time.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

I’d rather not be sedated due to having to drive.

If you ‘have’ to drive then the sedative is off the table. Sedation makes you an extremely poor judge of things – not least on judging the effect that sedation is having on your ability to judge things.

Are patient transport / a lift / a taxi genuinely not an option?

Premier Icon al2000

Having tried both options, sedative every time.

Premier Icon kormoran
    Free Member

I took the sedative, a mate had it without and regretted it. I was completely unaware of what was going on, in fact i’d say I was unconscious really. Came round pretty quick though and felt ok but very spacey – in no way fit to drive.

The ‘kleen prep’ was actually nothing – I was expecting Agent Picolax 2.0 so was a little disappointed!

Premier Icon al2000

Worst thing about Kleen-Prep is the need to drink about 700 litres of it. Also the vanilla flavour.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Worst thing about Kleen-Prep is the need to drink about 700 litres of it.

So so very this. Better than a phosphor enema though I’ll tell thee.

Premier Icon Jamie
    Free Member

No sedative.

When they looped it back on itself it felt a bit like this.

10/10 would do the same again.

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

No sedative for me ..probably the biggest laugh I’ve had in the last decade ..from not being able to insert the suppository myself at home prior to going  ..the missus had to do it for me ..then I was in bits trying to hold it for the required length of time ..which had my missus crying with laughter ..and me failing miserably .

Moving on to the examination at the hospital ..and a room full of student nurses ..to baring my arse in the nice plastic cape for the camera while lying on my side talking to the nurse on the opposite side of the bed who’s sole purpose is to keep you talking and keeping your mind off what you are about to receive …then the good news ..we are going to start now and will be blowing air up your passage to enlarge it for the camera ..don’t be afraid to pass wind when you need to as things will get uncomfortable otherwise ( **** that I’m thinking ..not with all of these folks in the room !) ..all the while you are lying there watching the camera progress on its journey …

“Nice clean passage” she says as we get started ..then we turn the corner and there is the first glob of shit on the wall ..embarrassing or what ..?

Just when I think things can’t get any worse ..I can’t hold it any longer ..the biggest fart of my life nearly knocked the poor woman off her stool ( cue silent laughter from the other side of the room)..not my finest moment but I would defy anyone to hold it in ..

Eventually the ordeal of the inspection was over and I was free to leave ..but man for the next hour or so I was uncontrollably  passing the biggest , smelliest farts of my life which fortunately my better half found hilarious on our journey home ( she was driving ) ..albeit with all windows fully down ..

Embrace it OP …you are in  for a treat !

Ps ..if there is anything else you need to know that I might have missed out… just ask !😂

Premier Icon stumpy01

Oh Jesus! Amusing post of the year for me!

Premier Icon koogia
    Free Member

Hodgynd’s post reminds me of the ‘Agent Picolax’ thread; halcyon days!

Premier Icon kormoran
    Free Member

Worst thing about Kleen-Prep is the need to drink about 700 litres of it. Also the vanilla flavour.

God yes, gallons of the stuff. And then the nurse who checked me in had the audacity to scowl at me when I admitted i’d skipped the last half a glass. I mean, it wasn’t like i’d been pissing through the eye of a needle for the whole afternoon was it?!

Premier Icon frankconway

Had it done three times – no sedative but a few drags on the gas’n’air. MoviPrep and CitraFleet to clean the pipes – but not taken together.

Also had an endoscopy so I’ve been topped & tailed – to use the medical vernacular; that was a test of the gag reflex and had to be sedated for that. Definitely woozy and no driving until following day.

Premier Icon ski
    Free Member

For your first have the sedative, but you will need a taxi or lift home.

worst part for me, apart from drinking that laxative drink! was the massive wide screen TV in your face giving you the full HD treatment of your innermost passages!

That and the random people walking in and out taking a tea orders and talking about pish about the weekend capers!

It does feel like a bit of a production line, so expect no tlc or sticker at the end 😂

Premier Icon bear-uk
    Free Member

3 times for me and knocked out every time.

Premier Icon lotto
    Free Member

Picolax sent out to you . Turn up. Get it done and get out. Cut all the bull out. Arrange to be ‘no prep required’ and you are willing to be first done. It’s tough, you’ll feel like you’ve done 18 hours at the ‘Puffer for comparison. Sedative not required. Straight off to work. No issues. Alternative are no sedative and be stuck in the ‘virtual que’ or sedative and rely on people to get you home .

Premier Icon andy4d

I have had 3 now and would never opt for no sedative. I had one where the sedative dis not have it’s usual effect, never again do I want to feel what I felt……..

Premier Icon juanking

Very timely this as I too have the pleasure of a colonoscopy next month and have just received the picolax along with the details. Sounds like I’ll be having the sedative then and Mrs King can drive me home. A pal of mine who’s already had the pleasure likened it to when you see the Dynorod guys ramming away, I hope he was being dramatic.

His best bit of ‘advice was dab don’t wipe and it would become clear why. I have a morning appointment so will double drop on the picolax the day before…

Im sure it’ll be unpleasant however after having ~14 intrathecals last year surely it can’t be worse, can it?

Cheers

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hod. Great post.

Clear out disappointing. Didn’t need sedative. Uncomfortable but not massively so.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve had 3..First time with it was fine. Second time without was horrendous

3rd time they offered me gas which was a half way house, and just about as bearable as sticking a camera up your arse can be.

Premier Icon project
    Free Member

Had 2 Barium enemas, after saying No to a colonoscopy, weird sensation as your bum has a straw inserted into it and attached to a co2 supply, and your insides inflated,and then a huge bag of white semi solid liquid is squirted inside you, all while lying on your side while a x ray machine bleeps and travels round your body,with a nice lady pointing out youve got a bent one, something quite rare she said, but cant remember the body patrt she refered to ,  and if youre lucky they have the screen in front of you, so all in black and white,then over to the toilet for emptying the entire contents, and a lot of sound, think an entire navy of boats leaving the cubicle all sounding their hoooters, then for the next few days lots of  wind and white slimy poohs.

Then a few months later start again, as the results where inconclusive, followed by a CT SCAN and some nice aniseed drink 2 jugs full.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Free Member

Sedative!  If not it feels like you’re going to reach a happy ending, poo yourself, and cry.  All at once.  Enjoy 🙂

Premier Icon juanking

Also seeing as I’m new to this are there any side effects which last afterward? I ask as its our daughters 6th birthday party the following day so would like to know if I’ll need a nappy or will be quacking for days..

I can’t help but think of Reverend Ramsden ringpiece cathedral well makes chuckle anyway.

Premier Icon milky1980
    Free Member

I must be the odd one out as I’ve had 2 (and 1 from up top) and didn’t need a sedative for either.  It’s uncomfortable but not overly so, no worse than the first dump after a bit of constipation.  The biggest disappointment was not getting any Picolax, had to make do with a bottle of Saline I had to, erm, put up there and the effect was very mild and underwhelming if I’m honest!

The endoscopy was absolutely horrible on the other hand.  Had to be sedated for that one as the initial try brought back horrible flashbacks to a choking incident I had 7 years ago where I blacked out as the ambulance arrived.  If I ever have to have one of those again I’ll refuse it.

Premier Icon frankconway

@juanking – no after effects other than prodigious farting; no nappy required.

Premier Icon tjagain

Having seen them done I would want every bit of sedation offered and more.

Premier Icon jsync

It would be a massive ball ache to have someone else drive me  and as for the taxi it’s not really local.  There seems to be mixed ‘reviews’ so I think I’ll go without, I’ll update on Weds night for the others that are due.

Premier Icon frankconway

Mild to moderate discomfort. I’m sure there are a very, very small number of patients who experience significant discomfort but they are the exception. Nothing gets ripped or damaged. It’s a mini camera into the fundament and you can see your bowel from the inside so it’s also educational.

Compare and contrast – lots of women go through childbirth with nothing more than gas’n’air and that’s an experience when bits can and do get ripped/damaged/snipped.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

It would be a massive ball ache

I think you’re going to be in for a bit of a surprise 🙂

Premier Icon jsync

Hahaha

Premier Icon midlifecrashes

Had one two weeks ago. Moviprep beforehand. No sedative, but I’d checked who was driving before deciding that, consultant who’s been doing them for fifteen years.

Gas and air works pretty good for the pain. There is pain, and when they need a major change in direction, there can be a fair bit of manhandling, someone leans heavily on you on whatever bit needs pressing. Actually all the pushing the thing up there is just to get it into position to pull it out. It’s while pulling out they actually look for anomalies, and snip biopsies or zap polyps. Aftercare basically a cuppa and biscuits and twenty minutes peace and quiet until you’re ready to face the world again. Good luck, hope they don’t find anything nasty. I think I’m in the clear which means they will label my IBS a nervous bowel, a bit frustrating as it isn’t a quick fix, but not something doing me actual damage.

Premier Icon chevychase
    Free Member

Sedative, and don’t drive.

You definitely don’t *need* to drive. If you’re in for a colonoscopy, then perhaps bin off what you’re doing for the rest of the day that means you have to drive.  The procedure is clearly more important than whatever else you’ve got planned.

Had one on Friday.  Missus drove me to Wales.  Did Tawr Du at Brenin (great) and Climachx (enjoyable but short (last bit is ace)).  But **** no I’m glad I was nowhere near the steering wheel.

Premier Icon grtdkad

Sedative. Yes definitely.

Ive had two.  One with, the second without which was extraordinarily painful as a result of the ‘inflation’.  Literally the amount of air they ‘inserted’ I thought I was going to explode.  🙄

Premier Icon d4ddydo666

Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever experienced. So much Valium and still bailed before they got around the second bend. Consultant not at all happy. Still not as unhappy as I was! Barium enema followed. P***ing radioactive milk for untold hours after that.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

didn’t have a sedative with mine.  worst pain was the sensation of trapped wind.  Depends on what is wrong with you though.

Premier Icon downshep

Did the whole picolax / colonoscopy thing a few years ago without sedative as I was driving / working later. TBH, it wasn’t that bad, uncomfortable pressure from the inflator caused glorious fartage but wouldn’t say it was something I’d need sedated for. Will be having another in the next few weeks, so will probably crack on without sedative for that one too.

Anyway, ladies in nurses outfits are sticking things up your arse for free, why miss out?

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

juanking…. you HAVE to post back after you double drop on the picolax!

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

Having had a flexbile sigmundoscopy twice now both times having been convinced not to have sedation or gas and air and being told i had ‘the right approach’ which was to just bear it without complaining. When I had the next order of a colonoscopy I will a million percent have the sedation even though I’ll have nobody to drive me home. I’ll walk if I have to!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘So then colonoscopy – sedative or not?’ is closed to new replies.