• This topic has 34 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • So the three peaks CX is less than a month away. Are you ready?
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

I think I can not be more ready. I will be on the white form in LSCC (loughborough students) kit, purple and white, repping the 5 hour finishing time (with any luck!)

My bike is finally working, mavic open pros/105 hubs fitted, schwalbe land cruisers pumped up to capacity, salmon pads fitted, 1:1 ratio achieved. Is your bike ready? What kit are you using?

My training has consisted of hill reps running, cx specific training with shouldering up steep hills, proper cx hill reps, a lap of dalby, few laps of FTD at cannock. What has everyone else been doing?

Slightly worried as between now and then I have the fred whitton to do on the same bike!

Edric64
    Free Member

Good luck 5 hours is always my target but not got there yet 5.27 is my best .Having a break this year though

simonbowns
    Free Member

getting ready as I’ll ever be, with a few shouldered bike uphill slogs and that as a taster!

Bike’s good, but it’ll get fresh cables and tape before the event. Time wise I’ve got no idea – the more I watch of it, the less of an idea I have. I aim to finish (first timer)

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I am also a first timer, my real aim is to finish with merit. My target is to finish with 3rd cat. Really I just don’t want to die.

crikey
    Free Member

Yup, got my butties planned and my walking boots have been waterproofed.

I’m only going watching this year, you boys are going to suffer 😆

Spin
    Free Member

Training is going well. Been doing a bit more hill running of late and seeing real gains in that. No idea what to expect time wise but pretty much all my biking for the last few years has involved carrying the bike up big hills.

I’m going to do a loop on Saturday that involves 3 comparable hill climbs and try it at race pace with the same fodder I was planning to use on the day.

Anyone got any tips?

Spin
    Free Member

Tyre wise I’m going Smart Sam 40mm (shhhhhh).

cat69uk
    Free Member

First time here as well, just want to finish. Been running more than biking, up and down the local hill carrying the bike. Next 2 weeks going to have to ramp it up.
    Got some new Mavic shoes with a bit more grip, bought my whistle and survival blanket!
    Got the Landcruisers, now pondering which inner tubes?
    Also which pads for my Tektro CR720’s?
    Fingers crossed the weather stays as it is!

samuri
    Free Member

I’m up for it, but no entry 🙁

crikey
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips?

Don’t fanny about on the road start; you need to be as far forward in the bunch as you can be to avoid any bottlenecks.
    There is a nasty road climb on the way out, grit your teeth and get on with it.
    Be careful going over cattlegrids; they get very, very slippy.
    Simon Fell is the steepest thing you have ever, ever, ever walked up. Ever.
    Get on your bike as quickly as you can, riding on anything but the climbs is quicker than walking.
    Let it go on the descent, you’ll pass lots of people.
    Eat as much as you can on the first road section after Simon Fell, then another stiff climb, then get in a group or with someone else to the bottom of Whernside.
    Whernside is the longest set of steps you’ve ever walked up. Ever.
    Get on your bike as quick as you can at the top of Whernside, but don’t be a hero; it’s a long way down and you don’t need to fall at the top.
    The descent of Whernside is where you need 65+ psi, use your skills, keep your eyes open.
    Eat on the track at Ribblehead.
    Ride with others down to Pen-Y-Gent.
    Pen-Y-Gent is the last hill, but you still have to get up and down it.
    You can let it all hang out on the way down; the road section to the finish is dead easy.

Other tips: 65+ psi. Camelbak. Gels. Gloves. Grit.

One last tip: Your race is important, but not more important than stopping to help someone, or to make sure they get help.

Enjoy.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Finished the bike this morning, shake down ride tomorrow. Just 4 more pairs of wheels to prep. I’ve not been running or walking yet, but have spent 3 weeks riding up big f off mountains in a big gear in France.

I’m relatively safe in the knowledge that I’ve been round the course 3 times before in 3hr 09 min so hoping for the best. Still need to find my whistle and survival bag from last year though.

Good luck to all!

crikey
    Free Member

Oh aye, get there early.

Like proper early.

I’ve always been early enough to park in the car park opposite the start; makes a difference both at the start and at the end of the day.

Have a proper poo at home.

If you miss having a poo, there is a public toilet just …. no, I’m not telling you that one.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m not really ready so going with gears instead of singlespeed this year. Bet I end up slower than last time.

Spin
    Free Member

The eating and sh!tting tips are much appreciated Crikey. Thus do we identify the old campaigner. 😉

Spin
    Free Member

However home is Inverness so I fear I may need to defecate between there and the start.

MrSparkle

I’m as ready as I’m going to be. I thought last year would have been my last but the weather meant I couldn’t get a decent time so I’ve got to have another go. This’ll be number 6. First aim is to finish and then the next aim is to not get slower. Anything else is a bonus.

sefton
    Free Member

Horwich CC have organised a ‘3 Towers ride’ this Sunday. 9:30 start at Rivington lower barn.

Perfect 3 Peaks training

for those of you who are going to race your first one, this ride will give you a good idea of what’s involved.

bring food etc – probably 6 hours of cycling (with a few stops)

the route will take in Rivington Pike, Peel Tower and Jubelee tower.

there’s usually a decent turn out of annual 3 Peak racers (plenty of help & advice) 😉

stever
    Free Member

No! Nobody is ever ready for this beautiful madness. Hills, runs, reps, carries, blah, blah, blah. Then you meet Simon Fell 🙂

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I’ve heard Schwalbe Landcruisers mentioned in several places as a popular tyre for the 3Peaks. I have no experience of these, but would like to know why they are considered a good choice.

Edric64
    Free Member

Tough but heavy tyre puncture resistant and roll quite well bang on 35mm and take 80 psi if you are brave !

richpips
    Free Member

Here’s my recent blog on the subject (typed with my good hand)

🙂

http://sometimesridesbikes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/3-peaks-cyclo-cross-training-it-was-all.html

samuri
    Free Member

Still no challengers to my fixed wheel record then?

Awesome.

samuri
    Free Member

See you there David and Simon. And rich.

I’ll not be setting off with you two because I’m younger this year…errm

richpips
    Free Member

Still no challengers to my fixed wheel record then?

Awesome.

It’d be like taking candy from a baby. Next year maybe 😉

sleepless
    Free Member

my pal is doing this. his training has gone rather mental lately. Amongst other routes, he carried his bike up over Scafell Pike the other day in a respectable 1hr 9mins. he ran it up without the bike again a couple of days ago in 52mins. that beats all us usual pike dashers by at least 5 mins. he still thinks he will be slow on the 3 peaks. We all will be watching the race in anticipation. Good luck to all competing.

simonbowns
    Free Member

yep – I’ve set up Landcruisers tubeless (on Stans Iron Cross) – running at 40psi they’ve been damn impressive, apart from their weight!

For a tyre that feels so plasticy, they’re slow on the road and wear out fast. I’m still a fan, I’d rather avoid puncturing!

samuri
    Free Member

No fixed for me this year, brakes on that bike are screwed.
    I’m happy to take up the gauntlet next year though.

richpips
    Free Member

yep – I’ve set up Landcruisers tubeless (on Stans Iron Cross) – running at 40psi they’ve been damn impressive, apart from their weight!

You’ll be wanting more air in than that for the descents. 40psi and you’ll get pinch flats.

simonbowns
    Free Member

cheers rich – set up tubeless!

I’ve pinched plenty riding round and about peak/sheffield, no worries without a tube. No pinging about at 70psi either!

ronburgundy

I am doing it for the first time this year as well. Training had been going ok but off for an x-ray on my wrist/hand soon as I suspect I may have a broken bone in there somewhere…. should make the event even harder!

cat69uk
    Free Member

Really anal I know 🙂 but I know this is going to be a struggle and want to minimise puncture risk. Got the Landcruisers. My existing inner tubes are Conti Cross 28, which are 25/35. Am I better going Conti Tour 28 which are 32/47, or something else, even latex?

richpips
    Free Member

Really anal I know but I know this is going to be a struggle and want to minimise puncture risk. Got the Landcruisers. My existing inner tubes are Conti Cross 28, which are 25/35. Am I better going Conti Tour 28 which are 32/47, or something else, even latex?

I’m putting 29er tubes in mine 47/52.

crazy-legs

I got on fine with Schwalbe Smart Sams on the occasions that I’ve done it although I think I was on Specialized tyres the first couple of goes I gave it. Only punctured once (first time I did the event) and that was a pinch on PyG.

Tend to run about 65psi but then I’m reasonably light. They tyres are pretty lightweight and (if you wear out the rear one a little bit) nice and fast on road too.

Spin
    Free Member

Another vote for Smart Sams.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘So the three peaks CX is less than a month away. Are you ready?’ is closed to new replies.