Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)
  • So the multi day SDW adventure begins tonight next to the A31!!
  • Yak

Awesome. Chapeau!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Chapeau, Grumpy Cat! ✌️😾

weeksy

Well done sir

robbo1234biking

Good effort well done mate

FB-ATB

Bravo. Now you’ve got to ride back to get your car!

singletrackmind

17hrs, well done for finishing. All the folk who think its flat down south and the sdw is just like a road ride by the sea side need to experience the pain and suffering that is brighton to Eastbourne
    Had a few goes at it now, it doesn’t get easier you just train harder as you know the efforts required
    Really hope you have s hotel in Eastbourne now, a nice cold pint of peroni and a mountain of cheesy chips

martinhutch

Good effort. You’ve improved a lot, must be satisfying.

bigdaddy

Really well done!! I did it in 10 hours and that was plenty long enough to be on a bike, but 17 hours is extraordinary! Top effort indeed! Enjoy the fish and chips and beer!

nixie

Awesome effort. 3days to 1 day in a year is an amazing achievement. Nice one 😀.

Jordan

Awesome! I only discovered this thread a few days ago and enjoyed reading the whole journey/journeys. Superb effort mate! Inspiring!

cobrakai

I’ve done it in a day twice. After the 1st time I said never again……..

Wait until tomorrow when the sense of achievement really hits. Bloody well done!

frankconway

Well done that man and I echo nixie’s post ^^^

integra

Brilliant, well done! Beer, fish and chips and another beer. When you wake up the sense of achievement will be worth the pain, (from a man that has only ever done the Brighton to Eastbourne leg).
    Looking forward to the photos are writeup when you’ve recovered.

robcolliver
    Free Member

You have a 13.5 hour single in there….. go and find it.

DanW
    Free Member

Incredible effort! The photo at the end says everything. Respec’

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Brilliant news, well done Pooper!

Thanks for sharing it all here too, great inspiration. My “training” continues…

edit: I love how happy you look about it at the end 🙂

Your STW Legend status is assured, I feel.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Inspiring! Brilliant effort!

four
    Free Member

Well done mate, that’s a tough route.

benjbish

Fabulous work, have followed the previous years efforts. Very brave man to get it done. Impressed with the improvements! Sleep well.

ogri
    Free Member

Bravo!

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Thanks for this thread Poopscoop.

It inspired me to go for it in 1 day just yesterday. I had Friday off work, and on Thursday lunchtime committed myself by going and buying a rucksack full of food for it.

I started at 6:30am and eventually made it to Eastbourne at 11:15pm. It was a long very hot day, then turned into gale force sidewinds and 2-metre visibility mist after 9pm.

Vision was so bad on the tops I was steering using the navigation track on my Wahoo like I was piloting a ship in the sea.

Had a mechanical calamity 65 miles in when my tubeless tyre got slashed by some flint. Plugged it, inflated, then on unscrewing the co2 cartridge it also unscrewed the valve core and fired it into some undergrowth never to be seen again… 30 mins spent trying in vain to find it followed by switching in my only tube and praying for no more punctures.

This was on a Commencal Meta TR29 so not ideally suited but I was glad of the plush suspension during the second half when I was suffering.

I’m broken today, can barely move. Good sense of accomplishment though!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

SDW in yesterday’s heatwave! 😮

Poopscoop

maurice
    Subscriber
    Thanks for this thread Poopscoop.

It inspired me to go for it in 1 day just yesterday. I had Friday off work, and on Thursday lunchtime committed myself by going and buying a rucksack full of food for it.

…………

You sir are a bloody hero.

In that heat and then with the winds and visibility issues (let alone the mechanical!) it must have been torturous.

Amazing achievement my friend.

Im over the pain/tiredness now and i am starting to only remember the positives!😁

And possibly come up with more plans…😳

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Cheers. With hindsight, I would have picked a slightly cooler day.. at least it was quiet though!

I had the idea it would feel like the foreign holiday I’m missing this year, and it did for the first couple hours. You forget how exposed it is though, not much tree cover. Didn’t sunburn though, I doused myself in P20 SPF50 and carried 4 litres of water. Still almost ran out once.

Went and picked up my van last night, still walking like an old man.

Poopscoop

———————————————-

Well today seems a good day to start thinking of doing something stupid.

I remember nearing the end of the SDW last year and thinking “how about doing the double one day”… Instantly I dismissed the idea as completely dumb and over ambitious.

Well, I’m totally onboard** with that idea now. I’ve lost most of the fitness I had running upto last years SDW because… I’m an idiot that likes beer and pizza.

I’ll be trying for the double in the Summer, it will take well over 24 hours so I don’t think it classes as an “official” double on that site “that I can’t remember at the moment”. Anyway, that site says to go a different route near the start from memory but I want to go the same way I normally go. Hell, even then I get lost or crash.

Got the lights already, so I can ride through the night no probs. (Yeah, right…)

Posting this here as, well, I have got to give it a shot or you lot will never let me forget it.😁

** I’m totally not onboard with this and I know the idea is drink motivated at the moment. More drink needed now after posting this!

vicksplace

Good work poopscoop, I look forward to following your latest adventure. No turning back now you’ve posted it 😉

weeksy

Doing the SDW at night is epic. Properly epic. You’ll love that aspect of it for sure.

Tough day out!

piemonster

😆 @poopscoop

** I’m totally not onboard with this and I know the idea is drink motivated at the moment. More drink needed now after posting this!

Give me a shout if you’re doing anything specific on Zwift. We’re aiming for not too dissimilar things although mine will take around 40hrs elapsed time and is a tad further north.

Captain_Sponge

Firstly, what a lovely thread, enjoyed reading this and big congratulations to PoopScoop, for his journies in all senses, that’s a heck of a transition!!!

Dare I ask what next? The SDW on a SingleSpeed? Ah, just saw the last Posts, as it were, GO GET EM POOPERS!!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Excellent! I look forward to following this thread. Thanks Poopster.

40mpg

@poopscoop, can I suggest, just to pop a thought into your head, you have a look at the King Alfreds Way.

poah
    Free Member

what was the damage from the first ride/fall – didn’t see the full details

Poopscoop

Just want stop the thread being locked.

Did bugger all biking last year, sod all. Family commitments etc.

Desperate to get upto some little adventures this year but it’s really dependant on family being to help out with things. We shall see.

I’d like to ride the Ridgeway, just that alone would be great. The SDW is always on my mind for summer as I just love every aspect of it. Utterly beautiful. Some of my most pleasant memories of recent years are thanks to riding the SDW. I even fondly smile about the crashes now. Riding Peddars Way there and back was great too, really enjoyed that.

Need to get fit, again… lose weight, again and find out why my right knee is giving me problems even such I am just walking these days.

I never realised how much I *need* to ride a bike as I did last summer, when I couldn’t. It had/has a really negative effect on me.

Whatever people’s riding plans are this year, have a great time doing them.🚴🌄

nedrapier

Just want stop the thread being locked.

“Don’t let the story end!

Quite right. I don’t want my SDW story to end either. Great memories of great rides with great people. Always an adventure.

Not sure what the next one will be.

Hard freeze coming in a week or two…

racefaceec90

in regards to the ridgeway i would love to cycle the whole thing as i live not far from the avebury end of it and have only ridden a short part of it (i just ride marlborough downs usually (when i do ride there). furthest i have ridden is to liddington castle near marlborough i think it was called.

like you i also haven’t ridden very much for a long time now and would like to remedy that too,so need to start riding again as i have too much gap between any ride i do tbh.

good luck @poopscoop with it man ,i always like reading up on your rides and fair play to you for doing the sdw also (i would love to ride there one day but too far away unfortunately.

gazzab1955

@racefaceec90 – I did (40 miles) of the Ridgeway as part of the King Alfred’s Way at the end of last September, it was probably the best part of the KAW in my opinion. We went from Avebury to Streatley as part of the KAW route, great views, big skies and great tracks, a warm sunny day also helped the vibe. Could be a very good two day ride, Avebury to the Thames (Streatley/Goring), overnight there and ride back the next day.

weeksy

Scoop, i can put you up for the night/nights if you do Ridgeway. We’re about 500m from the Ridgeway route. Heck i’ll even ride some/all of it if you want company, but understand if you want to solo it. I know the Avebury>Goring side very very well and the Goring>north side reasonably.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ridgeway double was awesome but the single would be just as cool, ride half the published double route west to east for a dramatic finish at the beacon. I don’t think it would be anywhere near as hard as the SDW progress is pretty good for most of it.

weeksy

I don’t think it would be anywhere near as hard as the SDW progress is pretty good for most of it.

I’d agree, it’s not as tough as the SDW…. but it’s not exactly flat either…. there’s enough inclines to keep you honest without killing you off…

dovebiker

I now live 500 miles north of the SDW and now hanker for riding loops around Ardnamurchan, Moidart and bits of the HT550 but still have great memories of a decade of midsummer rides along the SDW.
    If you really want to get ‘lost’ in a riding bubble then a SDW overnighter is a great way to do it – ride from Winchester and watch the sun rising on the horizon and timing your arrival in Eastbourne for when the cafe opens for a cooked breakfast.
    I’m less sure that the residents of Eastbourne have forgiven me for the time I was sprawled on the pavement outside Tesco Express stuffing pork pies in my gaping maw one Saturday at 6am, mainly because of the waft of a 10 hours of perspiration, heavy dew and sheep poo before I turned around and rode back home…

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 293 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.