Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)
  • So the multi day SDW adventure begins tonight next to the A31!!
  • nedrapier

Posted 9 months ago

Poopscoop

Subscriber

——————————————————

REBIRTH!!

SDW ADVENTURE, THE SEQUEL.

Aha! that explains the “sun rises at 6” comment!  More like ten to 5 at the moment, and probably light enough to ride without lights from 4, unless you’re under trees.

Good luck Poopscoop!  Was talking on a ride last night about giving this another go.  Jealous, especially it being midweek!

thepurist

Take it easy in the heat – plenty of rehydration stops (apparently beer is isotonic) , and keep up the salt intake (bacon sandwiches, crisps & peanuts)

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s stunning on the tops, trail ran some of it yesterday morning and it was simply stunning.

Enjoy it.

wwaswas

Some mates did an sdw in a day attempt at the weekend – the heat really slowed their pace so plan for less distance per day if this heat continues.

Wear sunscreen! (and a buff under your helmet)

Splash-man
    Free Member

Agreed, the conditions are superb at the moment.

biggest problems will be sweat and dust !

Keep us updated as to where you will be when.

mattbee

It is really hot up on the Downs at the moment. Lots of fluid & take extra care on the dh sections as a lot of it has become quite loose with random floating lumps of chalk & flint, especially around the section between QE & Cocking.

ElVino

I was thinking of attempting the organised South Downs in a day CX Sportive on the 7th of July on the cross bike so following updates with interest.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Was up near storrington yesterday super weather you have a blast!

Poopscoop

mattbee

take extra care on the dh sections as a lot of it has become quite loose with random floating lumps of chalk & flint, especially around the section between QE & Cocking

It’s that section that I crashed on last year! Lol

Small problem at the moment….the”fixed” stuck down Monarch Plus…..isn’t so fixed. It’s packed down over night. 😠

Got to fit a spare Monarch today and send the Plus away to TFT when I’m back I suppose.

Hoping to start the ride on Friday from the look of it.

Poopscoop

Right, bike checked over as good as possible. Backpack all packed. Only taking a “disposable” emergency bivvy as I don’t reckon I will need it.

Haglofs Lim Down +1’s second outing and although bloody expensive it is warm and insanely light.

Decided to go to bed early and set off for Winchester about 4 am…. Then off we go!

martymac

Best of luck mate, be careful with heat etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds good, but sounds like you think you’ll be on top for quite some time.

senorj

Best of luck. I’m still licking my wounds from a one day attempt . I’m keeping my fingers crossed*for another attempt in July.

* tailwind!!

cobrakai

Just did bishops Waltham to Amberly 2 days ago. It’s in great Nick but because it’s soooo dry the gravel patches are pretty slippy!

owenh

Group of 5 of us going to attempt a one day Eastbourne to Winchester SDW tomorrow (Sat). Date was set over a month ago so amazed that its looking like good weather and even a partial tailwind.

I’m on a Whyte T129, others on Cube 29r hardtails or Giant Anthem. Will keep an eye out for anyone on a Jeffsy.

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m planning a Devils Dyke-Eastbourne-Devils Dyke ride tomorrow early.  Will be on a Niner RKT.  See you all out there.

john_l
    Free Member

Did Steyning to QE Park yesterday, was very fast and very hot!

Watch the gravel on the descents…..

Poopscoop

Settling down for night in a field at Cocking.

2 minor crashes but enough to get blood everywhere.lol Took a flap of skin off a finger but insulation tape sorted that.

Crashed on the SAME place that ended my STW attempt last year! FFS! It’s my nemesis obviously. Luckily was going a bit slower this time…. Took several off piste adventures too…..meaning I got lost and add a few miles on to the ride!

Drinking water like it’s gone out of fashion. A rider and some residents in cocking gave me water…. The guy who owns the only shop in Cocking actually reopened it for me to get water and food.

Most prime are innately good you know. It’s not like all the doom and gloom on  the news.

BTW, Pub in Cocking is closed. Had to carry on down road to an open pub….. 2 ales later the aches went away.lol

Pikes fubared but will make another post about that. They are functioning though so ploughing on tomorrow! 😁

Oh, wearing a bright blue helmet,a Catlike Leaf.  Hopefully see done some of you tomorrow!

Poopscoop

Poopscoop

Second one is where I crashed.lol

Poopscoop

Nighty night.

[url=https://postimages.org/]upload pic[/url]

damascus
    Free Member

👍

bikebouy
    Free Member

👍🤳🕺

Cheezpleez

It’s been hot out there today. Currently relaxing at the White Horse, Graffham, after a glorious day of roadying around E Sussex. Have a good one OP and stay safe

Poopscoop

Today was brutal. Felt nauseous, balance went even when pushing the bike. Dropped it twice because I was just staggering along. About 2ish I ditched the bike and rucksack and laid in some shade. Felt a lot better afterwards. Was drinking tonnes, stopped at houses for to ups. No amount of water made me feel better.

I repaired the Pikes but it included a 6 mile round trip to Steyning (speed?) A big thanks to the guys and South Downs Cycles for lending me the tools…. 2 tokens had come loose. Amazing the amount of noise 2 bits of plastic can make!

Also…..on A24 crossing…..I managed to back track WEST…. I didn’t even notice! Lost about 10 or more miles I was totally gutted… You have no idea.

Arrived at YH at 10 to 10… Just before they close. Beasted  myself to get there.

No rooms, so bivvying here.

Tomorrow will be a birch! Lol 😆

senorj

Crack on you should be there soon .

Bravo so far…..

Poopscoop

Well, that is about survival now. Pretty bad OTB and legs just have nothing on them.  Nothing. Can barely walk straight.

I’m determined to get there. Wish me luck!🍀

damascus
    Free Member

Are you sure you should be allowed to ride on your own? 😁

I think you need a riding buddy to look after you!

The best memories come from tough adventures, keep up the good work.

markrh
    Free Member

Hope you do it poopscoop, you picked a hell of a w/e to do it on but put yourself first they’ll other chances to do the ride.

damascus
    Free Member

Poopscoop, are you there?

matt_outandabout

#prayforpoop

40mpg

I did the SDW last weds on my fatbike. Was very hot, used all the water taps, felt queasy all dag in the heat. Missed the turn at black cap which added an extra climb and lost an hour. After a 6am start at Winchester we got to Alfriston at 9.15pm and decided to call it quits. Only 8 miles short but 2 more bastard hills and no light!

That was a hard day. Unfinished business though so will be back!

Also need to do a multi day bivvi to enjoy the ride and scenery a bit more – definitely the best option.

Good luck poops, it’s a tough old ride!

oldnpastit

Second one is where I <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>crashed.lol</span>

I think I crashed in pretty much exactly the same spot!

There was a moment of “wait, what” followed by “this’ll be fine, I can sort this” followed by “nggghghghgrr”.

njee20
    Free Member

You sound like an absolute disaster. 😯

Splash-man
    Free Member

Also…..on A24 crossing…..I managed to back track WEST…. I didn’t even notice! Lost about 10 or more miles I was totally gutted… You have no idea.

How the hell did you manage this ?

Did you take the alternative route over the bridge into Washington then back up the Bostal Road then manage to cross the A24 again ????

Any way, keep the report coming as its keeping me smiling 🙂

martinhutch

You sound like an absolute disaster.

Shhh. This is the ‘encouraging noises’ thread. The piss-taking can start once we know he survives. 🙂

dawson

Quick bump – is he OK?

Poopscoop

Quick  update. Got back home late last night.

Had to abort with 12 miles to go. Was running on pure obstinacy (sp?) but as n night set in and my cheap head torch went flat I had to give in. I’m a carer for my mother and had to be back Sunday night without fail so my sister could head of home. I was exhausted, gutted and beyond tired.

I will check on Strava as at some point but I ride an extra  15 miles approximately do to a detour to the bike shop and DOUBLING BACK ON MYSELF TWICE. TWICE!

That was like a Greek tragedy in my head I can tell you.

Had 2 more crashes,both fairly bad. The last one coming down a fast, smooth decline to a gate…. broke too late and just managed to avoid the gate by streering left into bramble…. And a barbed wire fence….which slowed down my left arm and leg even further…..

I look like I’ve had a fight with a guy who was hitting me with wire wool.

My arse is on fire, my vision is a little odd and I was so out of it I didn’t remind my son we had to go pick up my car when I aborted. So we went home to Kent before I even realised….So going so Winchester as I type, to pick it up!

Oh,a bloke in a car got out to have a fight with me because apparently I thought “I owned the road.”

The ending to that little issue was comedy genius though!😂

Will post pics and more details in a day or so!

pictonroad

It’s an extraordinary thread. How are you crashing on the SDW? How are you getting lost on the A24?

i mean, kudos for trying and not being a quitter but surely there’s an easier way? 😳

markrh
    Free Member

You didn’t so much ride the SDW as go to war with it by sounds of It ! Ten out of ten for effort poopscoop.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 293 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.