Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So, the missus and kids are going to Cyprus…
  • twohats
    Free Member

…in four weeks time.
    If the country is declared bankrupt, what will the situation be like there? Is it wise to cancel the trip or should she see it as an adventure and take bags of cash with her!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They will probably just sink it….

These deals seem to get done just make sure you have some travel insurance

br
    Free Member

Not worth it IMO, at least not at the moment.

I’d watch and see.

scaled
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be changing all my money in to Euros just yet 😀

Best case scenario is a bombed exit of the Euro followed by rapid inflation over the next 2-3 weeks = cheap holiday!

Maybe pack a load of stuff to barter with though, the ATMs might not be working…

wwaswas

I wouldn’t be changing all my money in to Euros just yet

the way the pound is going I’d be changing mine into Euros about now 😉

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’re going at the end of May…are things really that bad? I don’t read/watch the news really!

I’m worried now!

tonyd

If she can rebook without incurring additional cost (unlikely I know) then I’d consider that and go elsewhere. If it does go pear shaped over there I’m not sure I’d be happy with my wife and kids to be there alone.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Go – great country and people and they need the tourist £s of $s! There may well be some unrest but unlikely to be targetted at UK tourists. Who knows what currency will be in place by then, the minister on Newsnight was already talking about printing Cypriot pounds (this week!). At least you will be helping in a positive way, unlike the Euro-elite!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Imagine how life in the UK would be if what happens in Cyprus happened here…

xcgb
    Free Member

Go it’ll be fine dont let the scaremongers put you off

binners

What its likely to be looking like in a few weeks….

Can you see any conceivable way that its getting better in the next few weeks? Seriously? I wouldn’t be going anywhere near the place. I sure as hell wouldn’t be packing my kids off there 😯

br
    Free Member

Go – great country and people and they need the tourist £s of $s! There may well be some unrest but unlikely to be targetted at UK tourists. Who knows what currency will be in place by then, the minister on Newsnight was already talking about printing Cypriot pounds (this week!). At least you will be helping in a positive way, unlike the Euro-elite!

Great, and if they can’t fly back (for whatever reason)…

I was stuck in the US after 9/11, luckily it was with work so no problems – but just how would you get your wife/kids back from Cyprus?

xcgb
    Free Member

possibly in Nicosia, But its NOT going to be like that in the holiday resorts if its like that anywhere at all

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How can you be so sure?

footflaps

I’d imagine, like Greece, that in the tourist resorts there was no sign that there are/were any problems.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As if a desperate population would just leave those islands of relative affluence unmolested…

xcgb
    Free Member

I’m going in 3 weeks visiting relatives it’ll be fine just like greece is.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cyprus isn’t a war zone FFS. They will be absolutely fine. Possibly a bit harder to haggle for stuff.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m taking the family in June. Just about to pay the final balance of a few grand!

Should I?

The missus says yes, but she just wants a holiday.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The same could’ve been said about London in august 2011, but you wouldn’t want to have been caught up in one of the riots.

wwaswas

Should I?

of course. You have insurance and SPain, Italy and Greece have all faced similar crisises (crisees/crisis’/???) over past year ot two.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I don’t remember the banks being closed in those examples. Or the other, bigger eurozone economies being effectively dumped, and dumped on by the EU.

But don’t let me stop you. Fly there on a budget airline, fly back in an RAF transport.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Unlikely anything would go badly wrong, but on the other hand there are plenty of other nice sunny places to go that don’t have civil unrest and runs on the banks on the horizon so I’d have thought one of those would be a better choice.

tonyd

If they don’t take the bailout it sounds like at least some of the banks might not be able to re-open. If you have a population unable to access cash to buy essentials like food then things could get messy.

I’m not convinced that they’ll just look at the wealthy (in their terms) Brit tourists and say “Hey great, thanks for coming to my island and supporting us in our time of need”. It could be more like “Hey great, you look like an easy target, cash and jewellery please”.

It’s quite likely everything will be fine, but is it really worth risking the safety of your wife and children? I wouldn’t.

Slight anecdotal, we wanted to cycle across Cuba in 2008. I was about ready to book us up – a week supported riding followed by a week on the beach – when Hurricane Gustav hit. I was adamant that we should still go as it would help the locals and they’d appreciate some support. My missus pointed out they were trying to rebuild their country and the last thing they wanted was a couple of tourists expecting dinner.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But don’t let me stop you. Fly there on a budget airline, fly back in an RAF transport

An upgrade?

midlifecrashes

Imagine how life in the UK would be if what happens in Cyprus happened here…

Please, please, please…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Be careful what you wish for…

growinglad
    Free Member

I got bored reading the dumb ass comments. Nothing will happen, there will be a lot of crap in the news and it will all blow over with the man on the street getting shifted.

The Cypriots are generally good people, they might get a bit piffed with the government, but they’re will not be raping and pillaging, the country ain’t going to collapse, if they were to drop out of the Euro…ain’t going to happen…if the rest of Europe can’t hold a small economy together like Cyprus…they are screwed….Italy’s debt makes Cyprus look a bit like my credit card bill!

Go, nothing will happen…although actually I’d wait a bit. Sea will still be a bit cool and the weather can be a bit iffy this time of year.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If you keep kicking a dog it will eventually bite…

Remember that we ate never more than her missed meals away from anarchy.

zilog6128

Remember that we ate never more than her missed meals away from anarchy.

lol. What?

hammerite
    Free Member

Let them go, they’ll be fine. Things may look a bit more run down even in the tourist areas, few more shops and bars shut, but generally those places that are open will be grateful for the business. We found it to be like this in Crete last summer.

Normal people won’t turn into bad people and start stealing etc… they have a bit more respect than that. Although the dregs may stoop a little lower.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Farking harsh spell checker!

We are never more than three missed meals from anarchy.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So, the missus and kids are going to Cyprus…’ is closed to new replies.