Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • So, the expected iPad Mini ………
  • JulianA
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

What’s the big deal with the connector?

Guess if you have current connectors you’re gonna have to buy a converter – £28?

CountZero

jota180 – Member
    Blimey, those presentations are boring

😆 Could be worse, could be a PowerPoint presentation…

deft
    Free Member

Typical, 2 days after I buy a 3rd gen iPad they go and announce the 4th gen!

A 6 month gap is pretty appalling. They must have at the very least been planning this one when they released the 3rd gen, knowing they were doing everyone over

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jota180
    Free Member

Guess the base model will be £299 here

Jamie
    Free Member

Typical, 2 days after I buy a 3rd gen iPad they go and announce the 4th gen!

Send it back.

stumpyjon

A 6 month gap is pretty appalling. They must have at the very least been planning this one when they released the 3rd gen, knowing they were doing everyone over

And one of the reasons I don’t buy Apple products anymore. All the other manufacturers do it as well, they just don’t ram it down your throat quite as hard.

I like the comment about it not being a consumption only device, how many people use their tablets for things other than web, mail, games, music etc.? They’re great for that but anything more creative sends me looking for a keyboard and mouse.

speed12
    Free Member

And one of the reasons I don’t buy Apple products anymore. All the other manufacturers do it as well, they just don’t ram it down your throat quite as hard.

Really? This the company that basically releases one model a year for each part of their range rather than countless different, pretty much identical products that a lot of other companies do. Has the release of the new one made the old one suddenly not do what you wanted it to do and what it did yesterday? Just how technology rolls really.

JulianA
    Free Member

I like the comment about it not being a consumption only device, how many people use their tablets for things other than web, mail, games, music etc.? They’re great for that but anything more creative sends me looking for a keyboard and mouse.

Me for a start: video is great, panorama pictures are great: no problem with taking the iPad out and about for pictures and videos. Just hope the mini does 1080p video. Haven’t checked that yet…

tails
    Free Member

Forgot that iPad, the new desktop iMac is boooootiful!

jota180
    Free Member
    Kuco

I stupidly expected a bit cheaper more around the £200 mark only £60 more to get a normal ipad if you’re not to worried about the size.

jota180
    Free Member

Does anyone know when they usually start the pre orders?
    Do I need to stay up Thursday?

eyerideit
    Free Member

The iMac is stunning.

Looks like when my 17″ MBP is due for an upgrade I’m going 27″ iMac. 🙂

CountZero

What, all of a sudden the previous version stops working now? Please, this is technological development, nobody forced anyone to buy the previous version, and, like the iPhone 5, older models are still available, but cheaper.
    Any excuse to find some irrational reason to have a go at Apple. 🙄

kimbers

What, all of a sudden the previous version stops working now?

“Isn’t it incredible how a new thing makes the old design look instantly old?”

Phil Schiller
    Apple’s senior vice-president of worldwide marketing at the launch earlier

transapp
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the issue is. I bought an Ipad 3, it’s still what it was, and I’d still buy one again as I like the additional size and it’s only used at home *as opposed to on the train / bus etc so the screen size is what I want.
    Mini could be good if I was on the move a lot though (I’ll just get an iphone 5 now…..)

mark90
    Free Member

Tempting, but think I’ll save £70 and wait for the 32GB Nexus 7 to be released.

tonyplym
    Free Member

New desktop iMac might look nice, but can’t see any mention of an optical drive anywhere in the specification . . . easy to make stuff really thin if you forget to build stuff in.

eyerideit
    Free Member

tonyplym – Member
    New desktop iMac might look nice, but can’t see any mention of an optical drive anywhere in the specification . . . easy to make stuff really thin if you forget to build stuff in.

Pah! optical drives, that’s old fashioned stuff that is. It’s all on the cloud now. Just throw away all your DVDs (rip them first though). Just imagine what you could do with all that space.

Saying that, there’s the MB Air drive that you can/have to buy. I’ve looked over the specs and I couldn’t see one.

TBH I’ve not used the drive on my MBP for ages (I don’t watch DVDs on it), they’re almost always digital copies.

Physical storage is a thing of the past, well almost.

EDIT: External Superdrive under other accessories an additional £65 if you don’t mind.

retro83
    Free Member

Is it true that you can’t upgrade the memory or replace the hard disk on some of the new iMacs?

It’s a beautiful looking bit of kit, but really does anybody care how thin a desktop is? I’d rather have had a ‘retina’ display or touch screen, i.e. something new. Speccing a 5400 rpm drive is a bit of a shocker too interesting to see if their SSD cache system is better than the Momentus XT from Seagate.

I just can’t get used to this idea of disposable computers though.

footflaps

I just can’t get used to this idea of disposable computers though.

I think Apple stuff is far from disposable. There were some stats showing the iPhone was (or is) the most recycled phone: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/7874631/Apple-iPhone-3G-is-most-recycled-phone.html

Tallies with my experience, both my old 3Gs and 4 are in use by others whereas all my previous (non Apple) phones just ended up in the bin as no one wants a two year old Nokia or whatever they were.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hardly nessercary these days, I swapped mine out for another HD as I never burned disks to give to clients when either FTP, USB stick or Portable HD do a better job. Applications are all downloadable.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cloud storage and usb drives for peanuts, not to mention solid state being a gerzillion times more reliable than physical media, means this should not be a problem.

For the times where you just have to burn the pictures from your holiday to give to your nan, and you don’t want to use a online service like Photobox or local Boots kiosk, then bus powered dvd drives are about £30.

jota180
    Free Member

Well the boy will get his iPad Mini OK

I had pretty much decided to treat myself to one too until I realised that it doesn’t come with GPS on the WiFi only model, that’s a deal breaker for me.
    Seems an odd omission IMO given that part of the reason for the smaller form factor must be increased portability.

GrahamS

Seems an odd omission IMO

The GPS functionality is on the same chipset as the 3G.
    So if you go wifi only you don’t get GPS.

Jamie
    Free Member

£269 for a birthday present, that he hassled you to get and you contemplated staying up to pre-order.

Your kid is a wizard, or the next Derren Brown, and I claim my free iPad. 8)

br
    Free Member

he doesn’t want the the maxi-pad as it’s too big and he already has an iphone

and

I had pretty much decided to treat myself to one too until I realised that it doesn’t come with GPS on the WiFi only model, that’s a deal breaker for me.

For a man who in a previous post was telling us how little you live on, you must be spending a years worth of spare now… 🙄

retro83
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    I think Apple stuff is far from disposable. There were some stats showing the iPhone was (or is) the most recycled phone: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/7874631/Apple-iPhone-3G-is-most-recycled-phone.html

Tallies with my experience, both my old 3Gs and 4 are in use by others whereas all my previous (non Apple) phones just ended up in the bin as no one wants a two year old Nokia or whatever they were.

Yeah, okay, or I’d rather just replace the battery or hard disk and carry on using it.

Your ‘recycled’ stat is proving my point in a way. It is saying is that people are chucking away one-two year old kit to buy the new ones. Also that’s not true about the Nokia, read the link, a Nokia was one of the next most recycled handsets.

Not being able to upgrade the RAM is just their way of making your computer expire that little bit quicker. With 4GB of ram and an SSD, my old laptop from 2008 still feels blazing fast, and with a new battery it has better battery life than new. Apple must hate that.

jota180
    Free Member

Well I’m buying the boy one for his birthday and for doing what was required in his exams and I thought about one for myself as I’m away all Winter in my Canaries holiday home, spending the money I saved elsewhere and accumulated as a Baby Boomer by buying up all the property cheap and renting it back to hard working families at a premium because they can’t afford to get a mortgage themselves.

something like that anyway 🙄

avdave2

All the ipad 3 owners are going to be walking about with a face like they’ve just discovered their priest has been at the choir boys this morning.

MrSmith
    Free Member

iPad 3 owner here. The only change in my demeanour is due to waiting for my 1kg of sidamao coffee beans to be delivered, then equilibrium and contentment will be achieved.

bigrich
    mogrim

Cruel but amusing take on the presentation: http://dashes.com/anil/2012/10/apple-special-event-liveblog.html

Jamie
    Free Member

bigrich – Member
    this is apt

3 pages till that Oatmeal comic is posted on an Apple thread.

STW is slipping…

scuzz
    Free Member

Less dpi than a Kindle? Poor show

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it the oatmeal is in then it must be time for this one
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAjfUT8wZI[/video]

All good fun really

GrahamS

3 pages till that Oatmeal comic is posted on an Apple thread.

To be fair even The Oatmeal reposted it on Facebook yesterday!

https://www.facebook.com/theoatmeal

Well it the oatmeal is in then it must be time for this one

“7 inch iPad? Over my dead body…”

M6TTF
    Free Member

If you’ve just bought an iPad 3, in the last 2 weeks, return it and get a 4th gen. Although there’s not am awful lot of difference. Faster processor and new connector. Can’t say I find the 3 slow…

kcal

the bit about holding value / recycling is pretty spot on IME. I’ve just been reorganising the home computer setup. bought a decent spec’ed 3 yo iMac 24″ for a decent wad of cash; but didn’t /need/ the new model.

but in return, was able to flog my 7 year old Mac mini (the one with a 80GB HDD and G4 processor) for in excess of £100 which isn’t bad I reckon – given my 4/5 yo Thinkpad was worth squat when I came to recycle it a little while back..

oh, and when time comes to flog the even older G4 PowerBook, hopeful that it will fetch at least /some/ cash 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

I ordered 2 in the end 🙂

1 for the lad’s birthday, due to arrive next week and a 3g one for me, turning up in a few weeks time.
    Looks like they’ve already gone through the initial batch of 16GB WiFi ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘So, the expected iPad Mini ………’ is closed to new replies.