Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • So, the best weekend city breaks..
  • km79
    Free Member

Paisley

😆

Cletus
    Free Member

Budapest is nice and cheap. You can stay at the 5* Keminski Corvinus for less than £100 per night. Hot spring public baths worth a visit.

johnx2
    Free Member

…can I jump in? Looking at a cheeky cheapo weekend in a couple of weeks with my wife flying direct from LaBIA the airport on everyone’s lips (Leeds And Bradford International Airport) so of places I’ve not been that’s:

Düsseldorf
    Málaga (somewhere near?)
    Alicante (dito?)
    Budapest
    Gda?sk
    Faro

I say cheapo, but want a nice and probably 5* hotel. City rather than hotel in the middle of nowhere/Canaries. Gdansk probably winning atm.

(fwiw my winter euro weekend recommendations would be Venice, Florence, Lisbon, Berlin, Barcelona, Istanbul, Rome.)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toby1

johnx2

Budapest fits well for historic architecture, bridge walks over the river and general nice place to be.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Anyone been to Bruges? Thinking of going in December. Mrs is keen, I’m not fussed but from what I’ve seen* it looks nice. Overnight ferry from Hull too; flying anywhere for a weekend always seems excessive.

*limited to In Bruges.

toby1

Mowgli

Went once for a day trip from Brussels, there’s a Chocolate museum which is quite entertaining, partly through how bad it is. The beer is good, the chocolate is very good, we did a horse drawn tour which was nice too. Overall though a nice, but reasonably quiet city to hang out in, clearly better than Hull though 😉

ps – thanks for asking by the way OP, also my wife’s 40th in Jan.

johnx2
    Free Member

Bruges is nice, picturesque and comfy rather than hit you between the eyes. They’ve got the indoor life pretty well sorted: waffles and hot choc / insanely strong and worrying drinkable beer. Not very hipster…

I’ve been a few times by bike from the ferry which works well.

If you’re concerned about carbon footprint or whatever reason for not flying, you can Eurostar it. In fact that was one of the first Eurostar adverts, made me laugh: “voulez vous crochet avec moi?”

(Not that you’ll hear any French spoken but hey…)

clodhopper
    Free Member

Girona; much quieter than Barcelona, generaly cheaper for accommodation, less touristy in winter, and full of far more than you can see and do in one weekend.

johnx2
    Free Member

…and for Gda?sk that’d be “you Gda?sking? You asking? I’m asking. I’m Gda?sking.”

Only no one’s got anything to say about it so may have to look again at BP.

Rockape63
    Free Member

B’jasuz….has no one suggested Barcelona? Surely in the top 3?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bordeaux
    Nice
    Florence
    Sienna
    Pisa
    Naples
    Vienna
    Venice
    Bilbao

Edukator
    Free Member

They have, Rockape, and after a year working there I’m in no hurry to go back. Taragona, Seville, Valencia, Cordoba but I now have an allergic reaction to Barcelona.

Bordeaux is a better destination in Spring or Autumn when combined with a day in the Medoc and a day in Arcachon. Florence likewise, go in the Autumn and spend a day in the hills. January is cold and dark in most of Europe so choose a place you can do things inside or go skiing.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’ve been through Barcelona a few times recently, last stayed there a few years ago, and I found it had become far more touristy than when I first went nearly 20 years ago. It’s still great, but it’s lost that chilled out vibe it had over other big cities, imo. Hence my preference for Girona. Just as easy to get to for us, with the benefits mentioned earlier.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Edukator – Reformed Troll

Bordeaux is a better destination in Spring or Autumn when combined with a day in the Medoc and a day in Arcachon. Florence likewise, go in the Autumn and spend a day in the hills

In Your opinion.

johnx2
    Free Member

Had a superb December visit to Florence. Low winter sun sloping in through windows of a quiet and near empty Uffizi… Day tripped a hilltop village in crisp sun. There were butterflies. I’m sure it can be crap though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Venice, that’s supposed to be a sewage-smelling, overcrowded rip-off in the summer months.

Good, in fact, excellent call
    Venice is a beutiful place, but packed with tourists in warmer weather. In winter, weather is ok, it’s quiet and very romantic.

I love Naples, it’s mental.

matt10214
    Free Member

Places i’ve enjoyed are Malaga, Seville and Palma De Mallorca in Spain, Bruges and Antwerp in Belgium, Cologne in Germany, Paris and Prague.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So, the best weekend city breaks..’ is closed to new replies.