Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So, the annual discussion about September
  • jimster01

Why are we bombarded by daddy long legs,what purpose do they serve, and where do they come from?
    Just curious….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wake me up when it ends.

jimdubleyou

Which one are we talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_longlegs

Wake me up when it ends.

Every year, 1st October. Paging Billie Joe.

cdoc
    Free Member

Not sure that anything serves a ‘purpose’ as such, just eat, reproduce and die, which is exactly what they are up to. The bulk of the breeding season is triggered early September, then they all just bumble about for a week or so waiting to die.

Most of their lives are spent as Leatherjackets in the larval stage, munching whatever organic debris they can find, so I imagine that waking up one day with wings and the sole purpose of reproducing might seem like heaven to them.

If you really want a purpose, then imagine the benefit to the birds when all these lovely fat tasty buggers turn up just before winter migration begins …

cloudnine
    Free Member

Depressingly the swallows are about to bugger of to sunnier climes too..

sirromj

They’re the creation of DARPA, they’re SPYING ON US.

jimster01

Sorry, crane fly,other than be gangly,live for a day or so,what do they do,and where do they hibernate?

cdoc
    Free Member

They don’t hibernate. The breeding season is nearly over, eggs have been deposited in the soil ready to develop and hatch into larvae early next year.

maccruiskeen

They’re eating your lawn (and feeding the birds)

jimster01

If you really want a purpose, then imagine the benefit to the birds when all these lovely fat tasty buggers turn up just before winter migration begins …

Trouble is all little buggers coming in to the house out of their flight path

maccruiskeen

Trouble is all little buggers coming in to the house out of their flight path

You should be flattered –  want you to eat them

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why have you posted a pic of Donald Trump’s todger? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it’s fallen off, but text to that effect would have been ample.

cdoc
    Free Member

Does get a bit tiring ushering them gently outside again, but meh. that’s nature. Easier to catch than wasps.

Also, they are definitely the most venomous creature known to man. Ricky Gervais said so.

fadda

@CFH – I see what you did there.

Had you down as more of a Carpenters man… 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So, the annual discussion about September’ is closed to new replies.