Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • So, the A9 cameras + mobile speed vans….
  • Northwind

I always thought Aviemore would have a cool apres-style nightlife. Brought down to earth with a massive hillbilly brawl outside the police station 😆

geoffj

I always thought Aviemore would have a cool apres-style nightlife.

You’ve never been clubbing upstairs in Cafe Mambo Super Panther 😯

devs
    Free Member

The cameras are a con. Very few are connected, especially north of Dalwhinnie. None monitor the duals North of Perth. To get pinged you need to be “quite a lot” over the average and that is nearly impossible just now unless you travel late evening/early morning.
    My experiences so far have been good on a Sunday and absolutely dire when my actual average was 40. It was quicker from Elgin to Aviemore through towns and villages and across the single track Dava moor road. It won’t take too long for people to wisen up and some sort of normality be restored. All they have achieved so far is to reduce journey times and expectations for the majority. It was never the majority that were killing themselves. The nutters are just more frustrated than before and that can’t be a good thing. There have been 2 fatalities that I have heard about since they went in and no reduction in accidents but those figures will not be made public.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve not noticed an increase in my journey time and I drive it 5 days a week.

Scotroutes, how sure are you about that? Why on earth would they not cover the dual?
    FB, what are the black boxes for?

geoffj

Scotroutes, how sure are you about that? Why on earth would they not cover the dual?

They don’t cover the dual sections north of Perth.

http://www.safetayside.co.uk/road-safety-/a9-road-safety.html

Average speed cameras
    Average speed cameras are now in operation on the single carriageway sections of the A9 between Perth and Inverness and on the dual carriageway sections between Perth and Dunblane. The new system is an interim safety measure until the entire A9 is upgraded to dual carriageway.

matt_outandabout

I thought the black boxes are infrared light s?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Is it right that they have allowed HGVs to travel at 50mph instead of 40mph between Perth and Inverness on the singletrack bits?

scotroutes

Yes. There are big signs telling you this.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Surely it’s a first class idea to have speed cameras making money. Kills 2 birds etc. Stops the cretins who think that they are too good to obey the laws and moves some of the money from those scum to a better place.
    There can be no moral or sensible objection to that sort of thing.

scotroutes

AFAIK, the cameras aren’t “activated” by anything. The cameras “image” every vehicle that passes.

http://www.vysionics.com/sites/vysionics.vmdrupal04.lablateral.com/files/vysionics_specs3_pod_-_update_2013.pdf

Oh and

Cameras can be installed in front or rear-facing orientation and violations can be recorded between multiple locations and multiple lanes within the system.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ah cool – not been up for a while but that should help the traffic keep a bit steadier.

riddoch

If they’ve put the same system as was on the A77 the don’t necessarily monitor the whole thing just sections of it at a given time.

scotroutes

Yep. All looking good.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Yep. All looking good.

Almost. Perth to Inverness is 20+ mins longer than it was, although as one of my colleagues said, it is preparing us nicely for 3+ hour Perth – Inverness times when the dualling works actually start.

scotroutes

I’d rather be late than late.

oldbloke
    Free Member

The (apparent) idea that we can only reduce accidents by reducing average speeds on a major trunk road is a message which has already brought demands for such schemes to be expanded.

Other ways of making the road safer were proposed but largely ignored as cameras are a nice cheap blanket fix. There wasn’t a single body representing car drivers in the group which decided on the cameras, so that’s hardly surprising.

My average has gone from about 54mph to 47 mph on a road where the average speed limit is about 63. There have to be ways of enhancing road safety whilst allowing people to use the trunk road network on journey times closer to what the roads were designed to take.

whitestone
    Free Member

There have to be ways of enhancing road safety

Improved standards of driving might be a start.

The speed limit is a limit not a target. With increased road usage the only long term solutions are either reduce the number of journeys or improve the infrastructure.

I passed my driving test 37 years ago. Back then it was relatively easy to have an average journey speed close to the speed limit as there wasn’t a continuous stream of traffic travelling in the opposite direction so overtaking was straightforward, you didn’t have to take risks. These days on an A-road if there’s more than a couple of vehicles in front of me I’ll just chill as it’s unlikely that I’ll get past all of them in any meaningful timeframe.

matt_outandabout

Having pootled up and down some more, I am now agreeing it is generally calmer (apart from the numpty in black Audi with bike rack on roof (natch) on Friday in heavy snow).

It is taking a bit longer, mainly in the queues that are building up at busy times behind trucks, but as said it seems to be 10-20 mins delay for full length of A9.

scotroutes

FWIW the truckers seem to be reporting slightly reduced journey times.

BoardinBob

There wasn’t a single body representing car drivers in the group

I assume at least one person in the group holds a driving licence, so car drivers were represented.

whitestone
    Free Member

That’s probably the result of smoother road speeds. If you get someone overtaking then pulling in and putting on the brakes to make the gap so everyone else behind touches their brakes even just momentarily, each driver touches their brakes slightly later and vehicles further back end up properly braking rather than the nervous twitch of those near the front. So those vehicles actually slow down and then have to build up their speed again. HGVs like to keep going at a steady speed, if they have to slow down and speed up on a hill then it takes a long while and everything behind is held up as well.

oldbloke
    Free Member

FWIW the truckers seem to be reporting slightly reduced journey times.

Not entirely surprising given they can now legally drive faster. Road Haulage Association was in the decision making group and pushed for it. There was no IoM / AA / RAC presence to get anything to assist car drivers.

The speed limit is a limit not a target

There’s no reason it cannot be both on a wide open road.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I assume at least one person in the group holds a driving licence, so car drivers were represented.

If you want to be pedantic, no advocacy group. It was Local Authorities, the Police, Road Haulage Ass’n and Public Transport bodies.

BoardinBob

My average has gone from about 54mph to 47 mph on a road where the average speed limit is about 63. There have to be ways of enhancing road safety whilst allowing people to use the trunk road network on journey times closer to what the roads were designed to take

Dunblane to Inverness is 138 miles

At 54mph that would take you 2 hours 33 minutes
    At 47mph it takes 2 hours 56 minutes
    A whopping 23 minutes extra

Hardly earth shattering is it?

whitestone
    Free Member

But it isn’t a wide open road, it’s increasingly congested so you adapt both your speed and your expectations accordingly. If you have to travel along the A9 when it is busy then you should adjust your journey time.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I don’t think the extended journey time was ever claimed as earth shattering. The question is whether the same effect could have been achieved by other methods which would not have extended journey times as much.

No other options were explored by the group making the decision, as far as I can see, and the minutes of their first meeting make the whole thing sound like a forum for validating a decision already made elsewhere. At the very least I would have expected different safety options to be evaluated and the relative merits of each option made as public as the justification for the average cameras.

But it isn’t a wide open road

There’s only one bend I can think of Perth – Inverness where distance visible is even close to being as short as braking distance. That’s an open road.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I spent a winter season in Nethy Bridge near Aviemore a few years back while in-between jobs so spent plenty of time going up and down the A9 visiting mountains to climb, bike and ski.

Went up recently and the A9 was indeed much calmer and a much more pleasurable experience to drive.

Its worth noting that the speed limit is a maximum speed, not a target or a minimum. Nor is it a wide open road free of danger. Ok, so as UK roads go its on the straight side but it has its own dangers that might not be immediately obvious such as deer running out into the road, trust me you don’t want to see the aftermath of that!

Have they actually reduced that speed limit overall?

20 mins longer is not a big deal, if it means that much leave 20 mins earlier
    Chill out, calm down and don’t be in such a hurry, there are few things in life that warrant trying to save 20 mins of time over.

cbike
    Free Member

It’s way better. Much more chilled.

I reckon The M90 is still safer for a wheech to Perth. The Cats eyes on A9 put in for Ryder Cup stop at Gleneagles.

Crainlarich Bypass is now open. Quite a revelation.

scotroutes

No changes in speed limits for anyone other than HGVs (7.5T) that are now allowed to do 50mph on the single carriageway sections.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The speed limit is a limit not a target

I wish people would stop trotting this out. It’s a limit and a target. You will get minors on your driving test if you don’t drive at an appropriate speed, which on a good road in good conditions is at or within a few mph of the speed limit.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly accidents and fatalities are down. Good news – I can live with journeys taking a little longer.

Northwind

whatnobeer – Member

I wish people would stop trotting this out. It’s a limit and a target. You will get minors on your driving test if you don’t drive at an appropriate speed, which on a good road in good conditions is at or within a few mph of the speed limit.

That’s very different from complaining that your average speed over a given distance is less than the average speed limit

epicsteve
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly accidents and fatalities are down. Good news – I can live with journeys taking a little longer.

It’ll be good to see what affect there is on the accident rate in the summer when the road is busier. A lot of problems are down to folks getting frustrated and doing dodgy overtakes, especially when there are foreign drivers getting confused with the switches from single to dual carriageway and back.

The A9 isn’t my favourite road but I’d often drive it early in the morning when it was quiet when I was heading up for hillwalking trips. With the cameras in place I think I’d be using the cruise control a lot as it’s easy to let the speeds creep up when it’s quiet.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

That’s very different from complaining that your average speed over a given distance is less than the average speed limit

I agree. Unfortunately the general public aren’t all as patient as the typical stw road thread contributor so measures that increase safety without adding journey time would make every happier all round. Let’s face it, no one really likes driving up the A9 and the chance to spend 20 minutes or so less on it would be a nice bonus.

poly
    Free Member

so measures that increase safety without adding journey time would make every happier all round

a few people have mentioned this… can you give some examples where there is a simple, quick, clear cut improvement that can be made which will improve safety? Not forgetting that these measures are a temporary fix whilst the much more complicated and expensive infrastructure work is going on anyway.

especially when there are foreign drivers getting confused with the switches from single to dual carriageway and back.

Whilst I am sure foreign drivers contribute to the issue – I’m quite confident that (a) most of the really dodgy driving I’ve seen on the A9 is from british drivers [UK plates, not typical hire cars] (b) the majority of fatal accidents on the A9 are not caused by foreign drivers.

Northwind

whatnobeer – Member

I agree. Unfortunately the general public aren’t all as patient as the typical stw road thread contributor so measures that increase safety without adding journey time would make every happier all round. Let’s face it, no one really likes driving up the A9 and the chance to spend 20 minutes or so less on it would be a nice bonus.

What do you want to do, dual the entire thing in the space of a few months?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

can you give some examples where there is a simple, quick, clear cut improvement that can be made which will improve safety? Not forgetting that these measures are a temporary fix whilst the much more complicated and expensive infrastructure work is going on anyway.

Why does it have to be simple and quick? 😉

What do you want to do, dual the entire thing in the space of a few months?

Well, the could of started the work years ago. But…. yes?

irc

Unsurprisingly accidents and fatalities are down.

Has anyone seen any actual figures for before and after accident rates?

Northwind

whatnobeer – Member

But…. yes?

I’m sure they could do it in just a few years, provided you don’t mind the road being shut for all that time. Obviously we could just leave everything as it is til it’s dualled, which I think is due to finish 10 years from now, but that doesn’t seem like a very good plan

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘So, the A9 cameras + mobile speed vans….’ is closed to new replies.