Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So sur- on and Surrey police glee
  • Lummox

bear with me

been reading about some electric Moto bikes causing a mess at Fod (and locally) and the comments from the sur-on gang sounded a bit too familiar but not in a good way.

There was a tone of ‘I know we shouldn’t, but you don’t own the land/woods/jumps’ and ‘we’re not causing any harm’.

it sounded awfully similar to our defence to riding/ building where we shouldn’t.

Are we the bad guys? (Mitchell and Webb reference)

for what it’s worth I think they look a right hoot, but not on mtb trails or around more vulnerable users

Lummox
    Bez

our defence

Well it all depends how you’re defining the “we/us” in the “our”, doesn’t it?

If it’s “we who ride mountain bikes” then it’s flawed because not everyone who rides mountain bikes would claim that defence. If it’s “we who make that defence whatever we’re riding” then, yeah, obviously: some people with that attitude have electric motors, some don’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Seen damage on quite few trails from this, LUBP, Lee Quarry, Phillips Park etc.

The biggest problem with the MX crowd is they never pick up a spade. Just tear the arsehole out of a location, brap big wheelspin holes and ruts then move on to the next. It’s like the jump spot youths from our little hobby, they just don’t give a ****.

LAT

Are we the bad guys? (Mitchell and Webb reference)

that would depend on how good your uniform looks

joshvegas
    Free Member

They’ve got skulls on them?

daveylad
    Free Member

Yes I’ve been following that also. The surron riders generally come across as thick illiterate aholes who dgaf.
    They seem to think they are riding electric bicycles rather than electric Motocross bikes despite 7000w, 50 mpg and throttles.

I think they look great fun at the right place, but like a petrol Mx bike, there aren’t that many right places in this small overcrowded country.

z1ppy

Been watching these appear for a while, as they are a proper stealth MX-er, and happily rip up trails/common land with almost impunity. That said they turn up for sale on FB (e-mtb groups) all the time, so I do wonder if they get bought, the rider has a close call (land owner/police/out raged public) and then sells it quick. Also as there limited range, it means you need a van or the like, to get anywhere fun.
    As per Daveylad, these & those electric scooter look like great fun, if we had somewhere to use them safely, with no conflict

fasgadh
    Free Member

There have been reports of one making a pest of itself on the beach by Dunbar…. just waiting for the hostility to appear towards the fat bikes.

Enough of the public have problems telling the difference between mountain bikes and motorbikes as it is

ayjaydoubleyou

<troll>
    If only there were a very simple definition we could give to all bikes using a motor for power
    </troll>

Lummox

Yeh to be clear I believe the majority of mountain bikers are not accepting of behaviour bringing the sport/ pastime into disrepute. Very broad brush and the same goes for the riders on sur-ons.

i just thought the parallels of mtb’ers and people digging on private land/ riding footpaths and people riding the sur-ons where they shouldn’t was quite close and an interesting conversation.

I do feel they possibly cause more of a threat to ebikes despite them being quite obviously different. I did chance across a kit that adds a pointless pedal system to a sur on which seems to be a ‘disguise’.

reluctantjumper

There was a tone of ‘I know we shouldn’t, but you don’t own the land/woods/jumps’ and ‘we’re not causing any harm’.

it sounded awfully similar to our defence to riding/ building where we shouldn’t.

Been following the FOD situation the last few days and there are a few differences between what they are doing and what we do when eg riding footpaths:

They are breaking the law and can be prosecuted directly by the police, we are breaking civil law and cannot but can be by the landowner.
    They were on purpose-built trails that are being badly damaged, we are on a path that is not to the same degree.
    They have an awful lot more power to unleash compared to us and therefore have higher energy to dissipate in a crash.
    They had deliberately gone to a specific place to do what they did, we tend to incorporate ‘cheeky riding’ into larger loops.

For balance they do look like a lot of fun but only in the right location. I personally see them as the same as the on-road quads you hear being ragged around: great toys that can be a lot of fun but they attract the ‘yobbo’ types far too easily so are abused. The machines aren’t the issue, it’s the users.

Andy-R

A friend of mine has one (well, two actually – one each for him and his wife). I’ve given his a rag around a field and was a bit underwhelmed…
    Not comparable to a trials or enduro motorcycle (and no clutch either) – I certainly wouldn’t bother buying one.
    I asked him where they plan to use them – apparently they just potter around some local forestry. How long they’ll get away with doing this, who knows?
    If it was me riding it, about five minutes probably…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So sur- on and Surrey police glee’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts