Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • So… someone very nearly caused us to crash, on purpose. What to do?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Apologies for looong post.

Just tootling up the A38 to birmingham on the inside lane, lorry pulls on so I check, indicate, then move out, Mr mini in the outside lane was no where near or moving quickly at this point but is now on full beam, flash flash flash and right up my arse! Now a couple of things occurred and a couple of things were present, the car is black box monitored so im being proper careful, the car has a green P on the boot, I’m driving but it’s for the daughters purpose when she’s in charge, I suppose it should be took off when I’m driving but it wasnt, my mistake, my next move was probably not ideal either, I pointed to the lorry now fully on the inside lane and gave the dude the finger. More flashing, in fact full beam and now right up my arse, he could probably see how the green P was attached. I get past the lorry, indicate and pull straight in. Matey then holds back accelerates like **** and cuts in and across us, I’m talking a rizla gap here, I saw it coming and dabbed the brakes, I reckon if I hadn’t we’ve had had his rear quarter and spun him, he then really goes for it and slams on, I mean slams on, so that the emergency flashy brake lights trigger, I’m now thinking lorry through the back window. I ease right off, lorry can obviously see the idiot over us and eases off and he does it again.
    This is a dual carriageway and I now want to kill him but let it go as I have to stick to black box limits. A bit more **** about with swerving etc and he gets bored of doing 68 mph and **** off in to the ether.
    It’s the first time I’ve had proper dangerous road rage or whatever you want to call it.

So what next, dash cam (again fitted for daughters purpose) was on and i hope it has recorded.

Suck it up and be thankful we didn’t crash, or send it somewhere? With that cut in it really made me think he wasn’t quite aware of what he was doing and will cause an accident.

tjagain

If you have a dash cam report to the police

duncancallum

Contact the haulier if you can remember who they are.

Ask to speak to their ops or transport manager Commend the driver and ask for their footage as it’ll no doubt have at least one camera on board

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Police report with dashcam footage as evidence.
    If it was as described they should be keen to follow it up for an easy win?

duncancallum

And then call the police

cr500dom
    Free Member

shame about the black box…. he could have learned a valuable lesson otherwise

matt_outandabout

That’s what the dashcam is for.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Will the police do anything? I don’t want to do it tonight as we are now as a family out at a gig (well hotel at the minute waiting for the girls hence me typing away) and I don’t want to dwell on it. Happy to report in the morning, also want to see if the footage has recorded, I didn’t even get his plate as I was that shocked!
    Genuinely, and I’m not over dramatising here, could not have been closer.

jonba
    Free Member

Police. Do us all a favour and help get the person off the road.

Probably – they have a reg and evidence. It an easy conviction for dangerous driving and a ban so will look good for statistics. I had someone force me off the road and brake check me on the bike – he got a 12 month ban and nice fine.

pondo

Will the police do anything?

Not if you don’t report it. 🙂 Get it logged, maybe they will, maybe they won’t – hope they do, and hope matey gets a knock on the door sharpish. Put it out of your mind now and enjoy the gig. 🙂

Drac

I’d report it to the police can’t believe no one has mentioned it.

jam-bo

Would a dash cam have recorded you giving him the finger? 😉

tonyg2003

You need a dashcam to take it further but don’t rise to these idiots and next time don’t give them the finger. You made a bad situation much worse.

phil5556

Post it on youtube / facebook – seems to be what everyone else with a dashcam does.

singletrackmind

Dashcam will have the Haulier Logo recorded so you need to contact them asap
    Reveiw the footage if its clear and obvious how bad this prat was driving then Police
    However , dont hold your breath it might not go any further as no one was injured or crashed but if this dick is known to the police already they may well follow it through

frankconway

TJ & duncancallum ^^^ have it.
    Police – with or without dashcam footage.
    Haulier, if you got name; if you did, tell them you will be giving their contact details to police.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Call da Fedz

Gat da Trukist off da roed…

Drac

Actually good call with the hauler as many of them also have dash cams.

retro83
    Free Member

Post it on youtube so we can slag him off, then report it to the police.

Sounds like a right throbber. So desperate to get past, yet has time to waste pissing around with brake tests.

amedias
    Free Member

Report it to the police.

Remember whenever you umm and ahh over this kind of thing you might be person number 15 who has been in this situation with the same driver, so thus could be the 15th report about the same guy or the first if nobody else bothered either, this is why you should always report it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Get a dash cam.

singletrackmind

and some reading glasses?

zanelad
    Free Member

You should’ve driven alongside fhe truck for as long as possible. I did it driving alongside a tractor as we went through the Dartford Tunnel many years ago. The guy behind got so worked up he drove through the barrier without paying. We were squaring up to one another when the tunnel police turned up en masse and took him to one side. I paid my 25p (it was a long time ago) flipped him a V sign and drove off.

tthew

A lot of police forces have online submission systems for dashcam footage. I submitted some evidence to Cheshire a few months back and was asked to fill out a witness statement so they could fine or prosecute the bell end.

Pull the card or power from your cam before you get a chance to find the footage as it will circular record over it unless a protected file.

P plates should have been an additional reason for the bloke not to break rule 1.

martinhutch

P plates should have been an additional reason for the bloke not to break rule 1.

Some people seem to see ‘P’ and ‘L’ plates as some sort of additional provocation to their fragile egos. Usually the type who tailgate and try to intimidate me when I’m driving a tiny hatchback, but not in a bigger saloon car.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At least I’m the first to say – bloody pseudo BMW drivers

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Why is everyone so angry in the UK?

senorj

I would send the dash cam to the Police .
    Fair play for not getting the rage on , very easy when someone tries to kill you.

bearnecessities

TJ & duncancallum

Worst boy band ever.

mashr

zanelad

You should’ve driven alongside fhe truck for as long as possible. I did it driving alongside a tractor as we went through the Dartford Tunnel many years ago.

As per the highway code, just slowing down to make the gap safe. Well played sir. The OP should’ve done the same to send the guy fully ballistic!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Why is everyone so angry in the UK?

Road rage dashcam footage from Russia usually involves baseball bats and guns – I think we’ve got a lot of catching up to do 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

TJ & duncancallum

Let’s get ready to grumble!

globalti
    Free Member

If you do send the video to the Police I think you’ve got to include at least a minute of footage before and after the incident.

martinhutch

Let’s get ready to grumble!

Can’t believe I went through all the rhymes I could think of and missed this one. 🙂

jimmy

Footage to the cops, they’ll ask the truckers for their footage. Well done for not reacting more with the black box.

FuzzyWuzzy

Def review the dashcam footage and hope it captured it, the driver in the Mini sounds like someone that shouldn’t be driving but even if the police only end up having a word with him he might tone down his behaviour in future.

bob_summers

That cheeky middle finger can get you in a huge mess. I learnt my lesson on the motorway past Perpignan when the aggrieved driver pulled in front of me and stopped. In the middle lane. I had my son in the car too. Eventually got round him and he did it again a couple of times.
    My crime was to overtake a lorry going not much slower than me. Suddenly got this dickhead inches from the bumper flashing his main beam. I should have sped up, passed the lorry and let the dickhead past. Instead I carried out the overtake as planned, pulled back in once a safe distance in front of the lorry, and flip off the dickhead who was already bouncing off the inside of his repmobile. Funny, he was in such a rush but had time to bring the entire motorway to a halt.
    Anyway, I’ve had both middle fingers removed to prevent a reoccurrence.

BadlyWiredDog

shame about the black box…. he could have learned a valuable lesson otherwise

I never quite get the idea that you can somehow teach someone who’s clearly irrational and dangerous ‘a lesson’ by being, well, irrational and dangerous back. You’re arguably more likely to simply escalate things into a more dangerous confrontation.

I know this works in action films where the hero uses superhuman driving skills to leave the aggressor slumped over the steering wheel at the side of the road with a crumpled, smoking car, but real life doesn’t really work like that. I’m not even sure that baddies in films learn owt from the experience either. It’s not like they become reformed characters afterwards.

Personally I just try to get out of the way of nut-jobs. You can often pick them out in advance: screaming up the outside lane at way over the limit. Last minute pull-outs and and pull-ins often without indicating etc. Just let them get on with it and hope that when it all goes horribly wrong for them, no-one else pays the price as well.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As a HGV driver in Birmingham and A38 etc , i see this all the time , the standard of driving in brum is shocking. The amount of times ive stood on the brakes cus some f***wit has decided to turn left across all the lanes or just wanted to brake test my truck … Think its just the way society is going , everyone’s in a rush and needs to be there 5 mins ago !.
    Its one of the reasons we have sold our house ad heading to east Yorkshire to live for hopefully a quieter life and less hustle and bustle !
    And yes about dash cam footage, most trucks/wagons have them now, our fleet has them pointing forward, one rear and then one down each side of the truck to protect us as much as the numpties on the road

v8ninety

Some people seem to see ‘P’ and ‘L’ plates as some sort of additional provocation to their fragile egos. Usually the type who tailgate and try to intimidate me when I’m driving a tiny hatchback, but not in a bigger saloon car.

This, sadly. Some people really are bell ends. I’ve never been on the receiving end of so much aggressive, bullying driving behaviour since I bought a panda. Some people are just ****.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘So… someone very nearly caused us to crash, on purpose. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.