Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • So. Redundant the 2nd December in a row!
  • jamj1974

LoCo – Member
    Only thing I’ll say is setup on the Tunisian made specials can be interesting at time
    and being told by a junior manager that you should be able to build a bike from a box and set it all up in 5 mins

I worked in a Halford’s at 16 – a very, very long time ago… This was doing the rounds even then!

matt_outandabout

Poopy before Christmas, but fair play for heading off elsewhere to stay in work. Halfords or no, it is work.

iainc

Look at it as an opportunity Peter. What can you bring them that they don’t have ? You could be their bike style Gok Wan 🙂

Like any big company if you can make a positive mark there will be opportunities – find something unique and capitalise on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You could be their bike style Gok Wan

Genuine LOL! 🙂

iainc

😆

gee
    Free Member

The one piece of advice I can offer for building up apollos is to expect the unexpected…

Eg bolts with no threads on shafts, welds not finished etc etc…

GB

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good luck Pete!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Sorry to here your news mr poddy, but at least you have an easier commute now.
    Will show my face in halfords and say hello. Incidentally my old regional manager will now be your regional manager I believe.

avdave2

Use Halfords for what it is, an income and a springboard into something better.

It seems to me that if Halfords want to they can become the biggest player in the whole UK bike market. They have the stores and locations already in place and the online presence as well. As we have seen through the PSA’s on here they also have the buying power to take on the Chain Reactions and Wiggles of this world and beat them. On top of that with a bit more investment in trained staff they can roll out a whole buy it on line at this price with an optional fixed price upgrade to get it fitted.
    Independent bike shops are always going to struggle to compete on price for bikes and more especially components. Chain Reaction etc cant offer fitting and servicing without setting up a very complex network of local bike shops to work with. Halfords could do both. They are already the go to place for many who know nothing about bikes, there is nothing to stop them becoming the go to place for those of us who know a bit more.

You may well just be starting to work for an company who is going to make the biggest changes the industry has seen since online retailing took off. So I wouldn’t be looking at it as a stop gap.

As an aside I joined my employer as a stop gap 18 years ago – still awaiting my 3 month review as well.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Good luck and there’s not wrong with Halfords IME.

They have some bad spannerists who put forks on back to front occasionally etc but on the whole, it’s not a bad shop, it has good intentions and is about to push into biking more from what I’ve heard.

Anyhow, loyalty to your old shop that’s making you redundant doesn’t pay any bills, you are right to look after yourself firstly.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Tough luck! People at our place can do enough to make themselves look invisible we are so desparate for work. Have you spoken with Andy G to see if there is a ‘franchise partner’ proposal to be made? Local mobiles seem forever busy. Also I know a nice mobile chap Dorking way who I’m sure would chat about setting up.

TiRed

Hope all goes well Pete. Where will I call in on my way home from my Saturday club run now? And Halfords are fine. The young man in Slough Bikehut knows his bikes and wanted to know all about my Merlin road bike. All down to who works there of course, but loving bikes is always going to rub off on staff and customers.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Have you seen the PSA ‘halford is good’ thread? Recruiting knowledgeable staff is 90% of the battle won. Good luck annd sounds like you’ll be working on nice bikes rather than BSOs which should be more rewarding!

theotherjonv

Yep, good luck PP

I often call in there for last minute needs and generally impressed by the range and stock, will pay more attention in future. Only issue I have is with some of the local scallies seem to hang around almost every time I’m in there pissing about on the stairs, getting in the way, arsing about in the disabled lift etc. But one stern stare from you and I suspect that can be sorted. We all know you’re a very nice man, but you can do ‘scary’ pretty well, I’ll warrant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You may well just be starting to work for an company who is going to make the biggest changes the industry has seen since online retailing took off. So I wouldn’t be looking at it as a stop gap.

This has already occurred to me, to be fair.

e stairs, getting in the way, arsing about in the disabled lift etc. But one stern stare from you and I suspect that can be sorted. We all know you’re a very nice man, but you can do ‘scary’ pretty well, I’ll warrant.

I’ll just kick ’em out. 🙂
    Nothing I’ve not done before.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, anyway…..

Out of the blue (And thanks to a really nice bloke who had a hand in it) this week I’ve been offered another job which I’d have been STARK RAVING MAD to turn down (as workshop manager no less) for a small but well established and very professional chain of shops.
    It’s around 50% more money than Halfords and I’ll have my own little workshop kingdom to run.

Never been in this position before, and I did feel a tad guilty letting Halfords down, but, well, thems the breaks I suppose

😀

dantsw13

RESULT!! Hope this all works well for you.

Bregante

Many congrats and best of luck in your new job.

Don’t feel guilty. I’m sure they’ll survive.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Aye. I think you’re possibly right……

Blackhound

Congrats. And remember, whats the use of power if you don’t abuse it 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I have a lot to thank Halfords for, my love of bikes and my btec in bike spannering for example, but i have far more reasons to be bitter and hateful about them but my experiences are far behind me so i will try and be as neutral as possible.

I will echo the comments of others, stores can vary wildly even within the same town, management can be of inconsistent standards. Treat it as a way station, a stepping stone to something else and youll get the most out of it because progression is unlikely and in some cases not desirable.

geoffj

Well done and good luck pp. Have you realised what having manager in your job title means? Lots of minions to organise look after 🙂

jamj1974

Congratulations! Good to see you are getting a really great opportunity after two redundancy notices in two years!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have you realised what having manager in your job title means?

It’s flashy job title 🙂
    Basically, it means I’m the only mechanic in the store and I need to run the workshop properly.
    I can’t wait to be honest. 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘So. Redundant the 2nd December in a row!’ is closed to new replies.