• This topic has 33 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grayn-spam.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • So – recommend me some coffee beans
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Finally used up all my Whittard Guatamalan Elephant beans and fancy a change – something smooth, strongish and suitable for cappuccino – what d’y’all recommend?

chopchop
    Free Member

Have a browse on Hasbean, a little bit more expensive than Whittards but leagues ahead on quality.

maccruiskeen

Hasbean Kenyan Karatina AA are current faves here, although its just gone up in price to £7

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

Just call in to Monmouth St, Kenyan Kiandu Nyeri is tres pleasant.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Climpson and sons sidamao and their seasonal espresso or ‘the baron’ espresso blend
    Available online and up there with Monmouth, square mile and Hasbean quality wise.

convert

Hasbean jabberwocky blend is my current.

manmurray

Nude espresso east is my current tipple…their roastery’s in work’s car park which is handy 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

For something easily available, try Starbucks Verona?

They sell more coffees than they brew in the shop.

ajc
    Free Member

Hasbean is great if you want something a bit special but expensive. The happy donkey coffee is half the price and still very good.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Starbucks? That coffee is vague on its origins, expensive for run of the mill beans and I bet it has a use by date of sometime next year and no roasting date. proper beans come with a roasting date usually between a day and a couple of weeks old when delivered. (if it’s too fresh the beans are still de-gassing and need a weeks rest before use)
    Top notch beans at £17-22 kilo may sound expensive but a double shot is only 30p and way better then one of those tassimo things or stale old beans from a supermarket.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol, Starbucks is imo a good compromise between availability and quality. If the OP is not prepared to become obsessive about it, it might be a good option.

Terribly gauche of me to suggest something so mainstream, I know, but we don’t all live in the same world.. fortunately 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I have tried a wide variety of beans in the past so don’t mind trying new things (and the hassle of waiting for them to be delivered) – I just bought a massive batch of the OP beans a while ago, then was bought more as a present so feel a bit out of touch.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Terribly gauche of me to suggest something so mainstream, I know, but we don’t all live in the same world.. fortunately

In Molegrip world you have no debit/credit card so can’t order quality beans online? There’s no difference in price.
    It’s not about ‘exclusivity’ it’s about better quality fresher products that taste better. 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

Another vote for Hasbean – luckily my local coffee shop buys them and less them to me at a very good price.

howellj1
    Free Member

A roastery (?) in Perthshire – can’t remember which one I had but very nice:

Home

molgrips
    Free Member

In Molegrip world you have no debit/credit card so can’t order quality beans online?

Sometimes you want to get it as part of your shopping and ordering stuff online, fannying about with delivery companies when you’ve been at work etc etc is too much trouble!

Plus that is somewhat pricey. I get through 250g in a couple of weeks nowadays, so if P&P is more than a couple of quid it’s enough to make an impact on your shopping bill if you are hard up.

pacemaker
    Free Member
    montylikesbeer
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Get http://www.eightpointnine.com every other week as a bit of a treat.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Plus that is somewhat pricey. I get through 250g in a couple of weeks nowadays, so if P&P is more than a couple of quid it’s enough to make an impact on your shopping bill if you are hard up.

I get through that in a week, but if you really want to take a hit in the wallet don’t order a couple of ‘grande’ coffees and little bite to eat while you are in there ££££ 😯

sharpenededge
    Free Member

https://twodaycoffee.co.uk/

In Bristol which I used to live just down the road from roast the beans in store. I believe the name meant that all the beans were roasted with in the last two day. But I find no mention of this on their site.

molgrips
    Free Member

My point was that it is not bad for the money.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just tried the Hasbean site. Err, you can’t buy on there or I couldn’t find the link.

I think a new site is on its way though.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ordered a couple of bags of the ones monty recommended…

Hope they come by the weekend or it’s Nescafe on Saturday morning and that is just wrong.

convert

Just tried the Hasbean site. Err, you can’t buy on there or I couldn’t find the link.

Hasbean website

It’s all pretty straight forward from here – maybe you went to the old site…

johndoh
    Free Member

Must have changed today then – I Googled for it and it redirected to the Blog earlier.

convert

Must have changed today then – I Googled for it and it redirected to the Blog earlier.

Bean (see what I did there) using that site for at least a month now.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well the beans came today – nice but not at all strong, gonna need about 1/3rd more for every cup to get a decent hit.

eruptron
    Free Member

howellj1 – Member
    http://www.glenlyoncoffee.co.uk/

Just tried to order some from this lot. £5.50 nice price £20 delivery 8O!!! I live on the Isle of Man not the **** moon. Think they’ve been smokin their own roast 😕

ezzy
    Free Member

This, but buy in 2.5kgs bags for £25.

http://www.algcoffee.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=36

Sandwich

On the Molgrips scale I have a bit of a coffee “problem” as I get through a kilo of beans a month! Breakfast Bomb and Kicker this month.
    I can recommend the Monmouth Street Organic espresso blend though you have to spend north of £50 to make the courier charges acceptable.

davidjones15
    Free Member

On the Molgrips scale I have a bit of a coffee “problem” as I get through a kilo of beans a month!

If this is the same Molgrips that calls a quick bimble on the bike “training”, I wouldn’t worry about it. 😆
    800-1.000g habit per month here.
    Not giving my recommendation as it is short supply and I don’t want it selling out even quicker than it already does.

eruptron
    Free Member

eruptron – Member
    howellj1 – Member
    http://www.glenlyoncoffee.co.uk/

Just tried to order some from this lot. £5.50 nice price £20 delivery 8O!!! I live on the Isle of Man not the **** moon. Think they’ve been smokin their own roast
    Well I got a nice email from the lady at Glenlyon and they will be amending their web site to correct the charges to the IOM so fair play to them 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘So – recommend me some coffee beans’ is closed to new replies.