Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • So PS4 then.. anything for a short attention span controller masher?
  • Alex

Next door very kindly lent us a PS3. Both my ‘kids’ (19 and 20) disappeared for three days. Now we’re going to be the new owners of a pre-loved PS4 as my lad really wants to play Persona 5. Why he needs a PS4 for this is a moot point. It’s his money and I’m not your first call for fiscal prudence so crack on I say.

Anyway we’ve previously has a Wii (which I loved and we played loads as a family when kids were younger) and an XBOX (which hardly got used). I tried Forsa 4 (I think) as I thought I liked driving games but didn’t like that one.

I think it’s being brought up on sh!t BBC/Spectrum type games that were very simple that’s my problem. I can’t be bothered to invest hours/days/months in a game. Elite I loved on my BBC micro, that elite dangerous thread makes my head hurt.

So is there anything I might want to consider.  Simple, fun, driving, shooting things, whatever. Nothing involving six months quests, four hundred page manuals or 9 youtube channels!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Untitled Goose Game

johndoh
    Free Member

Any of the Doom titles for guns

Wipeout for driving

Alex

Oh Doom is a good shout. Thank you. Sad fact; we used to play the original on a very large corporate’s Token Ring network to see if we could break it (ah the sound of mechanical connections removing themselves in a domino effect.. anyway as you were)

I played original Doom and then Heretic (I think) then kind of lost sight of the franchise.

I’ll check wipeout,er, out.

Also I’m not that sold on collaborative games. We used to play some multi role thing that looked a bit like an early call of duty. Didn’t really get on wit that.

That untitled goose game would be right up my wife’s street.. thanks for that.

Alex

Also I’ve had macs for 10+ years. I’ve bought a few games for them (City Skylines the one my daughter and I played for ages until we got bored).  Last one I think was ‘sky gamblers’. Took longer to install it than I played it.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are tons of them – browse the Playstation Store on the device itself, it’s where all the indie, oddball and/or cheap stuff ends up. Goat simulator is definitely worth the couple of quid that we paid!

baldiebenty
    Free Member

If you’re thinking about Doom, you might want to start on the 2016 one, Doom Eternal came out recently and while it’s awesome it can also be bloody hard. Until (and even after) you learn what the developers call the “doom dance” switching weapons frequently to pick the correct one, chainsawing for ammo, flaming for armor and glory kill for health it’s real hard.
    They want you to play it that way, if you try not to do so as Hugo Martin the lead on the project said “We’ll kill ya”

In fact while I’m playing it on the PS4 I reckon I’d find it considerably easier with a mouse on a PC. I’ve never been good with FPS and a controller.

Oh, and I f’ing hate the Marauder and the ArchVile.

rone

Doom 64 is great, and cheap. Very old school.

The new doom eternal is pretty good too but a long way from my version of classic doom.

Alex

I like the idea of 2016 Doom which doesn’t sound like it requires the laser focus and lighting reactions I’m sadly lacking.

I am intrigued by the idea of a ‘goat simulator’. I feel there may be some going down a rabbit hole looking for candidates here…

easily
    Free Member

I like all the Uncharted games. They’re not the most challenging, but I always feel like I’ve had fun – which to me is the only important bit.

simon_g

The Uncharted games are a fun 8-10 hours each. Pretty linear but jumping about, finding a thing, shooting some baddies, repeat can be a nice alternative to watching and action movie.

I really enjoyed Firewatch recently, it was a few quid on the PS store. About 4 hours of story but could take longer just wandering about.

The Overcooked games are fun, play well for local co-op too.

Currently (finally) playing through GTA5, good story to get into, not too demanding of shooting/driving skills.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Uncharted series. Fairly easy, fairly good-looking, and fairly quick to complete. Plus a fun ride along the way.

*edit +1 Wipeout (HD) – it’s instantly accessible.

If you have a PS Plus membership then Uncharted 4 and DirtRally2 are free to download this month. Might be worth looking at a free trial Plus membership when they become available?

GTA5 is my biggest weakness. It has so many little sub-games (jobs) that are just ace to jump in and play – and you never have to even get involved in the mental sandbox that is the rest of the game (unless you want to)

Current favourites are Deadline (think Tron)

And Overtime Shootout (think petanque/boules, except the balls are cars equipped with parachutes, of course!)

Alex

I was looking at FireWatch. Never played anything like that before. Thought it might be interesting.

Uncharted is new to me, thanks.

GTA – I feel so ancient. I remember playing the first ‘top down’ one and nothing since!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^^ note to Overtime Shootout newbies – press X to ditch the chute and drop and X again to re-deploy.

doris5000

GTA – I feel so ancient. I remember playing the first ‘top down’ one and nothing since!

I got ID’d buying that. And i didn’t have any ID. So I had to go home and get my passport. 😆

dannybgoode

Goat Simulator – seriously, it’s hilarious…

Alex

So far I’m looking at wipeout (I remember enjoying Carmaggeddon back in the day), Unchartered and maybe GTA. And the goat simulator 🙂

No idea about subscriptions and stuff, I’ll see if my lad has signed up for anything yet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Re: subscriptions – don’t pay full price for it if you do, Amazon normally have it much cheaper.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Bulletstorm if you like fun FPS games.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Resident Evil would be worth a look – 3 has just been released so 2 might be available at a good price.

Drac

Doom 2016 is currently £6.49 it’s way better them the demo alluded.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Doom 2016 is great fun – but I just cannot get past the final boss! I will make that a lockdown task to finally finish the damn game!

Alex

I’m starting with Doom 2016 then. At less than 7 quid, it’s got to be worth a go.

Noted on subscriptions. Ta.

Cougar

On subscriptions, I’ve used both electronicfirst and cdkeys for years.

stumpyjon

Doom 2016 is a good length for a FPS campaign. Used to give me motion sickness though, only game that did except for some bizarre reason, Minecraft. I want the Doom Eternal but at £55 I’m struggling to justify it despite having sold an old Xbox 360 for £70.

Saccades
    Free Member

Borderlands – first three are free on psn at the moment.

Infinite lives, massive maps that are fun to run around in, loads of mobs and gallons of replay value.

Alex

Thanks again all – I nearly bought borderlands (off steam) for the Mac so that’s going on the list.

martinhutch

Yep, snap up Borderlands if it’s free. Great series of games.

AlexSimon

Trials Rising has turned from a bit of fun into one of my favourite games of all time!
    There’s something about the physics of it that makes it addictive and rewarding. Once you unlock the Mantis bike and Helium (a BMX), it takes on a whole different level.

ducatimonster
    Free Member

Borderlands2 end of thread lol

BL 1 isn’t so pacy and fairly dull.

BL 3 is Fairly good

BL the presequel is pretty boring.

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

This thread has just made me dig out my PS4 which has been packed away since we moved last June. I’ve signed up for the 14 day trial of PS plus so I can download this months 2 free games as they both look great and I’ve played previous versions of each on the PS3. With a 2 year old I don’t get much time to play but this will be an alternative to football manager for the evenings I can get away with playing it!

Love GTA and Red Dead Redemption but doesn’t sound like the sort of games the OP is looking for. Although, GTA especially can be picked up at any time just to blast about in cars shooting things.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for the 14 day trial of PS plus so I can download this months 2 free games

I don’t know if you realise, but the games won’t be available after the free trial ends 🙂

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

I don’t know if you realise, but the games won’t be available after the free trial ends 🙂

Yep I know. It means I get 2 weeks to test if I will actually get the time. If so then I’ll sign up either for the year or monthly.

bawbag
    Free Member
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

Borderlands2 end of thread lol

Correct. Just fired up Steam to remind myself. I think (hope) that hours played maybe isn’t entirely accurate:

bye bye life

bawbag
    Free Member

PS Now might be a better option than PS Plus if all you want is the games.

Alex

That MTB game looks fab. Ta.

bawbag
    Free Member

Add me on PSN if you want some times to compete against, username: cmoirs. Only been playing for a week or so but it’s pretty well done.

Alex

Will do. Still waiting for it to be delivered…

twonks

The Bridge is an entertaining if slightly weird PlayStation network game.
    Super stardust ultra is a great shooting blast if you have the music up loud.
    Onrush and Trials Rising are the other two I play.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘So PS4 then.. anything for a short attention span controller masher?’ is closed to new replies.