Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So. Never, ever take the back off your Sram X9 shifter.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I did. Springs everywhere, little, tiny bits of metal too. The mechanic at the LBS just put his head in his hands and pretty much wept.

£37 later and two packets of biscuits and my bike us ready to ride again.

thepurist

There’s a technical term for those little bits, “pingf…its”. Can also be found in carburettors and digital cameras with stuck lenses.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to add other than lol

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

This is known. You are not the first.

singletrackmind

It took me literally months of staring at the collection of springy bits of metal, cogs and pins to be able to work out how to rebuild mine.
    I bought a new one to give me the time to figure it all out. that was 3 years or so ago, doubt I could rebuild one now.

eulach

In the comments it also says

Thanks!! Another way … at 4:00 place the thumb shifter 180 degrees from where it is in the video. With the shifter in this position you can attach the spring to the shifter housing without the spring being under tension. You must hold the unit upside down. Screw the bolt on very loosely so that the shifter still moves freely. Attach the spring to the shifter housing. Rotate the shift around to its normal position, which winds up the spring. Tighten the screw to lock the unit in place. ?

Which is actually easier. It took me about an hour and 3 or 4 attempts sat infront of the pc but it does work out.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep YouTube and a lot of swearing.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine was sticking so I stripped it, cleaned, re-lubed and spent what seemed like hours putting it back together. It still stuck so I swapped the whole drivetrain for a new shimano one. I doubt I will ever buy sram again. I really don’t like their drivetrains.

sbob
    Free Member

I’ve got sixteen year old Shimano shifters, what is your major malfunction?

nixie

Found this when I converted an X9 shifter to a zerode alfine shifter. So fiddly to put back together! Fortunately mine didn’t ping everywhere and I took photos during disassembly.

eulach
    user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve got sixteen year old Shimano shifters, what is your major malfunction?

You, my friend, are on a very sticky wicket.

pdV6
    Free Member

Yep been there.
    Repeated viewing of YT vids on a cold driveway swearing at springs…

mrblobby
    Free Member

At least they’ve stopped putting the big external nut thing on the top that’s just begging you to open it up…

TBH I didn’t think it was actually that bad to take apart and put back together.

£37 later and two packets of biscuits and my bike us ready to ride again.

Is that how much he charged to fix it, or how much you paid for a brand new one?

highlandman
    Free Member

With some of them, that big four-prong nut thing in the picture is how you open it to take out and replace your old gear cable. Nothing else should fall out during this procedure…. Although the cable end is actually buried in behind that loopy big coil spring. Happy days.

mrblobby
    Free Member

that big four-prong nut thing in the picture is how you open it to take out and replace your old gear cable. Nothing else should fall out during this procedure….

😆 If you do it very very carefully then if you’re very very lucky it won’t explode like a jack in the box when you take off the lid.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So. Never, ever take the back off your Sram X9 shifter.’ is closed to new replies.