Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • So. My wife has just had a stroke.
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Tonight you are entitled to be selfish. Tomorrow it’s all about her and the children.

PJM1974
    Free Member

You’re allowed to be a little selfish if it helps you come to terms with it.

Am really sorry to read this, I don’t know the OP but I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.

Best of luck fella.

Gary_M
    Free Member

sc-xc I don’t know you but I’m my thoughts are with you and your kids. What you’re all going through is pretty tough but your wife is young enough to fully recover. I understand your need for a few drinks, the kids are probably in bed and it’s your time to take stock. I’m sure you know that you don’t want to make a habit if it though as you need to stay strong.

Best wishes, take care.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Nothing to add other than to echo thoughts from others. Don’t forget a pint of water before bed.

sweez
    Free Member

My thoughts are with you, was with my mate tonight when she had a call her step mum, only 54 had had a stroke.. she’s a mess and all I could do was hug her. So hug to you too, if you had the vodka so be it, I bloody would have, tomorrow you’ll be there for xxx

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve experienced a family friends quite severe stroke being bough back to reasonable normality over 12 months. The person physically aged quite a bit and It’s a horrible experience for everyone concerned, but don’t give up. This was someone in their 70s. Someone in their 30s will presumably stand a much much higher chance of a full recovery. Just Don’t give up.
    I don’t normally get involved in these sort of posts, but due to experience, feel the need to comment, IME you have a very high chance of bringing everything back from the brink.
    Good luck

nonk
    Free Member

best of luck man.

Cougar

I’ve said this before but,

Try not to jump to conclusions. My mum had a stroke and was in hospital for nine weeks. Lost the plot, asking how her (20 years dead) mother was, scared us all to death. A couple of years on and ok she’s not 100% but she’s dramatically better than she was at the start. Her mind’s as sharp as it ever was, you’d not know what’d happened if you were to look at her / talk to her.

Granted all cases are different I guess, but my point is that how she is now is by no means necessarily indicative of her long-term state.

Keep calm and carry on. My thoughts are with you.

Drac

Best of luck and hope she recovers well.

Hohum
    Free Member

Blimey!

Keep strong chap and I hope your wife recovers well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Best wishes for Mrs sc-xc’s speedy recovery.

magowen100
    Free Member

best of luck

Kieron
    Free Member

All the best to you and yours sc-xc.

Sandwich

On a more practical note use a cab or bus to get to the footie tomorrow. Losing your ability to drive would be a bit of an added downer. All the best to the Mrs.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Thinking of you and yours hope all goes well

midlifecrashes

That’s rough, back on board supporting her tomorrow and dig in for the next couple of months, make a little bit of time/babysitter time for yourself every now and again too for a bike ride or a blowout too. All the best.

nbt

+1 on the best wishes to both you and the mrs, be strong for the kids.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My boss had a stroke about 5 weeks ago, exhibiting similar symptoms to your wife. He’s now back at work full time and appears to be making a good recovery, and he’s over 60. I hope that the same happens for your wife and they can fix her heart condition. Look after yourself mate, but no guilt for needing the blowout eh. Just crack on and things will get better….

allthepies
    Free Member

A mate at work’s 12 year old daughter had a (minor) stroke a few months back. Life is fragile and unpredictable, live it to the max.

saleem
    Free Member

Hope she makes a speedy recovery

Haze

Hey mate, Paul’s kept me posted.

Shocker to hear, hope things improve over the next few days and I’m sure you’ll soon be looking at a brighter picture.

Thoughts are with you all, take it easy…(less vodka!)

spacemonkey

Strokes and such like can be nasty, with longer-term effects not being picked up until it’s too late. So make sure you ask the staff as many questions as you feel necessary, i.e. try to gain insight into what happened, why it happened and what might kick off as a result.

Not going to go into detail – just trust me. When it goes wrong, it can go irrecoverably wrong.

Hope she gets sorted.

mboy
    Free Member

This thread has really put a few things in perspective for me…

All the best to you and your wife, I sincerely hope for the both of you she makes a speedy recovery and returns to her normal self very quickly (as many stroke sufferers do).

And be strong for your kids, and as someone else has said above, for god’s sake don’t lose your license in the morning, if you’re over the limit, find another way to get him to footie.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Bad news and sorry to hear it. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t normally reply to these threads, but I’ve had personal interaction with sc-xc and know he’s a really top bloke who doesn’t deserve this – not really much to add, but all the best and my thoughts are with you and your family. Hoping for the best possible news.

Solo
    Free Member

Apologies to all for not reading every post.

SC-XC.

This happened to a very good, close, friend of mine last year. Its been one hell of a time for him, his two sons and the rest of us.

There will be ups and there maybe downs.
    In my friends’ case, Thank ‘F’ for the folk at addenbrookes. They really are something else. Total Class and Awesome people.

At this time, all I can offer is that I’ve bourne witness to the impact this can have on a family and I feel for you.

Furthermore, I will add that if your wife has had good treatment so far, then she may make a good recovery.

Right now, most of what I’ve written above won’t even register.

In time, try googling Kate Allatt.
    Its an inspirational story.

In the meanwhile, take each hour at a time. Hours will become days and days will beceome…

Its a shit deal for sure, but its not the end.

My best wishes to you and yours at this time.

S

mogrim

One of my team had a stroke a couple of years ago, she’s about 35 now and you’d never know unless someone told you. Best wishes to you, and hope your wife makes a complete recovery.

ivantate
    Free Member

Hope she makes a full recovery. A guy at work had the same at 38 about 18months ago. He is not back to full speed ahead but is now perfect capable of ‘normal’ life and like above within a couple of years will be un-noticeable.

look after your self and your boy in the mean time as things will be tough for a while.

globalti
    Free Member

Bad news. A colleague of mine, a fit lad aged 43 keeled over last week with a small stroke but had recovered within a few hours. Be glad that no matter what people say about the NHS, you are in the country with the best quality of health care and the best experts in the world. I road ride with a gastro-enterologist and he is unbelievably knowledgeable and dedicated.

Keep yourself sober, healthy and fit for the good of your children and just because the 9 y.o. isn’t showing anything, don’t assume (s)he isn’t very very frightened. Your wife will make a full recovery, don’t worry. You just need to look out for the kids and try to soften the trauma to them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sc-xc, I had a workmates have a very similar stroke right in front of me. Being the first aider I 999d it….. His symptoms were identical to what you describe and he made a full recovery and was back at work after a few weeks

And my sister in law has had it to, hole in the heart etc at roughly the same age as your wife. She’s OK but having tests with a view to getting the hole plugged. It’s not a big operation any more, it’s keyhole surgery mainly and pretty routine.

That said if it wad Mrs PP I’d be in a right effing state too, so I understand honest I do. Just keep posing if you need to, nobody will mind, that’s what STW is for 🙂
    Good luck an best wishes to both of you 🙂

sc-xc

Thanks for all the support, it means a lot. Kids showered/bathed….and just about to wander down to the football. Then on to the school summer fayre, then up to hospital!

Apologies for incoherent ramblings last night, lots of coffee this morning.

Xylene
    Free Member

Don’t forget a bottle of water or orange juice to help keep that hangover at bay.

Bear
    Free Member

Good luck to all of you.
    Makes other stuff seem petty when you hear of tales like this, I hope all works out for you and your family.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Best of luck to you both, I hope she makes a speedy recovery. All the best.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Please don’t drive this morning sc-xc, the last thing you need is a drink driving ban.

yossarian
    Free Member

Apologies for incoherent ramblings last night, lots of coffee this morning.

You have nothing to apologise for, it was coherent incoherence 🙂 Crack on and have a good day with your kids. Healing vibes to your wife and supporting vibes to you.

bullheart
    Free Member

Morning fella,

Just a quick message to say good luck for the football!

Remember – game head on…

BH

singlespeedstu

Sorry to hear this Tom.

Hope she makes a full recovery and if you need anything just give us a shout.

Wookster

All the best mate.

Gooner
    Free Member

although i don’t know you my thoughts are with you and your family and i hope mrs sc-xc makes a full and speedy recovery

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘So. My wife has just had a stroke.’ is closed to new replies.