Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • so my dads dying
  • anagallis_arvensis

His brain tumour is incurable. Bollocks. Worried about my mum but havent the first **** clue what to do…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

divenwob
    Free Member

Speak to her,she may have a better grip on this than you think.Tough time,look after yourself.

brooess
    Free Member

My parents are in great condition for mid and late 70’s but sooner or later I guess I’m going to have this to deal with… I also saw them go through the same with their own parents, so you have my sympathy…

I would assume a chat with a local hospice, MacMillan or your GP will provide you with some support and ideas?

danti

Sorry to hear that, just try and be there and strong for them when you can mate.

scotroutes

My sympathies.

As above, comfort and support your mum but remember to look after yourself too (she’ll need you). Don’t be surprised if waves of emotion hit you – and don’t fight them. Take some time out for yourself when you can (and maybe plan for some more “after”).

piemonster

I’ve no idea what to say.

🙁

But what the others have said seems right. Be strong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You know what to do, AA. Do all that you can to support him, your mother and, of course, yourself. Tough times lie ahead, but I hope you can stay strong.

Good luck, old chap.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No idea what to say a_a, as I don’t know how you get on with your folks, other than I’m also sorry to hear that news. Can’t be nice hearing that.

jamj1974

Just be there. That’s all you can do. Talk if they want to – don’t if they don’t. Say what you need to say if they are able to hear that.

So hard. Been there and I wish no one else had to be.

Thinking of you.

Jay

fisha
    Free Member

Just being there helps.

I’ve generally found the open talking about the subject is better than bottling up thoughts, as long as you are sensitive about it.

Hard times and not easy.

johndoh
    Free Member

Enjoy the time left you have together, deal with what comes later when you need to.

My dad would have been 75 tomorrow 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bugger, sorry to hear that fella 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Thanks. Tough thing is my mum was a MacMillan nurse for 20 years, she worked in a hospice before that. I think she’s knows too much really. He’s my step dad as my father died of lung cancer when I was 2 so he’s the only dad I’ve known. My mum has had a tough time of it.

bearnecessities

Pants. Sorry fella.

Only exp is my Dad, although he didn’t lose his wife/my Mum in quite same way, all I can suggest is to be there, but not be in their face.

We’re all different though and need different types of support, but sure you’ll figure it out.

Enjoy the times left is my blitheringly obvious advice.

Of course trust you’ll continue to post here for the ear of well-meaning idiots 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Talk to your mum, be there for her, let her lean on you, lean on her at the moments that she is strong and you are not.

MacMillan can be *very* helpful – they are excellent at sorting out a lot of practical things at a time where your focus needs to be on your mum and dad.

EDIT:
    Sorry, took so long to write my post that you posted about your mum being a MacMillan nurse in the meantime. I don’t know what to say, except that I am in awe of people like her – they are truely amazing.

Stay strong.

tinybits
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that chap. It’s going to be a shit time ahead, but try to make the most of the time you’ve got.
    Sounds like your mum already knows this, but having just gone through it all, I was confused / angry at the changes the cancer caused. Remember if it gets tough or if there personality changes, it’s not him, it’s the disease talking.
    Stay strong, and live life, not plan for the end.

waihiboy
    Free Member

sorry to hear that…

my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in the may and left us in the november aged 72 . (2007)

all i can suggest is ‘try’ and talk, mum just closed down totally, still hasnt opened up all these years later, my brother just ingnored it and to be fair dad just put up with it, oldskool style as they do , too much pride.

the MacMillan nurses we had were amazing, real angels, i can remember it all as if it was yesterday. they really helped me out as i still havent dealt with it to be honest.

everyone deals with it in a different way, im a realist and most of the family thought i was an uncaring w*nker because i have a very dark sense of humour. again everyone is different i couldnt just sit there and be morbid,its amazing the things you remember.

anyway im going off on one!

best of luck! 🙂

waihiboy
    Free Member

me again… there was a passage in the chris evans autobiography where his dad had cancer and was in the house the last few weeks.

it went something like “i dealt with it early on, the man upstairs wasnt my dad anymore, he’d left weeks ago to a much better place”

always remembered that.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Crap news, my pop turns 83 tomorrow but he’s not really there any more, dementia. Bits of him are like my dad, bits are just some bloke wondering what we’re all on about. I visit but it’s not like visiting my dad any more. 🙁

As he said when he was diagnosed a few years ago, at least he won’t remember.

Sympathies mate, it’s hard watching them slip away.

Hope you did him proud. Be there for your mum. Remember happier times.

project
    Free Member

His brain tumour is incurable. Bollocks. Worried about my mum but havent the first **** clue what to do…

talk to him,and your mum,ask them about funeral arrangements, etc, ask about a will ask them both what the dr said,but most importantly treat him as a person who is alive, not somebody who is suffering from an in operable tumour, and talk and also listen to them both

sharkbait
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that AA 🙁

As has been said before, make the most of the time you have left – I lost my dad in a flash six years ago and I still wish I’d had some time with him.
    Talk to your mum and make sure everything is straight. Again, at least she is not going to lose her partner in a heatbeat so hopefully you can all come to terms with it.
    My mum died suddenly last December and ……..
    We lose our parents at some point and it sucks whichever way it happens.

mogrim

Good luck, not a nice place to be – my sympathies 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Awful thing to have to deal with, so grateful we have a full set of parents but all late 70s so may be sooner than we would like.

Lots of talk about the emotional side up there, but at some point you need to begin to have conversations about practical stuff as well – his wishes for any funeral, making sure financial stuff is in order, power of attorney, wills, things like computer passwords to access stuff.

Sorry to be dull, but I’ve seen what a nightmare it is when someone goes and nothing is organised, in place or even discussed, and probate is a bitch to deal with at the end.

ninfan
    Free Member

Lost my dad a bit over a year ago

like you I worried about mum, but she’s coped really well, and I hesitate to say it but his passing proved to be a huge weight off her mind, and that was very liberating and good for her.

scaredypants

best wishes to you and your mum a_a – and of course your dad

I don’t know what I’m going to do either, but it’s coming soon enough

I guess you could relive some good memories with them, and maybe make a few great last ones

don’t dwell on the shit parts

Kuco

Sorry to hear 🙁

As others have said make the most of the time you have left.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that a_a 🙁

Not sure at all what i’d be saying if I was in your shoes.

Does your Dad share your passion for rugby? Maybe catching some matches with him might be a nice thing to do?

All the best.

brian2
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this, I really am. Keep a shoulder and an arm for your mum whenever she needs it; but remember to tell your Dad you love him. It was the last proper conversation I had with mine and I can recall that time at will and with clarity. The reaction on the silly old buggers face has stayed with me; and helps me remember him.

iolo
    Free Member

All I can say is try and spend as much time as you can with him.
    Talk about the good old days you spent together.
    Take him to places that hold a lot of meaning to you both.
    Basically try and enjoy every last second.
    I’m so sorry.

aa
    Free Member

My thoughts are with you and your mum. It’s gonna be hard, no denying that, bit you WILL find strength to get through it.

Try and remember the positive times you shared and make the best of the time you have left.

ourmaninthenorth

Bad news AA. Really sorry to hear that.

EDIT: ignore the other stuff I wrote. Hope you get as much good time together as a family that you can.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA – really sorry to hear this. Sympathies went though this last year albeit not a tumour, CFH covered most of what I want to say, but don’t let the doctors push you around, Question things, get advice ( especially on practicalities, we were too slow) ensure you and your mum have good support, Try to talk about the practicalities too and don’t save the eulogy until his gone. Tell him now.

But after the shock etc, think also about letting go the best way for all of you. Let him know that your mum will be ok, that you will be ok, that you love each other etc. We are not good at letting loved ones die in piece because the western world is about keeping folk alive. But in the end, we all pass away and we can make that process peaceful if we chose to do so. Pls feel free to ignore all of this, it’s well meant, but we deal with things differently.

Good luck, it’s tough and crap. But stick close to those around you and don’t ignore yourself. That’s too easy.
    I miss my old man every day….

racefaceec90

am really sorry to hear that.

i wish your father my best wishes.

Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

AA, first things first please accept my best wishes and I totally understand how you feel at this point in time. My Dad was diagnosed with a very rare Cancer just over 5 years ago and was given months to live. He had a “one off” operation at Basingstoke hospital and was the oldest surviving patient at 70 years old (the operation was 9 hours, 50/50 if he would make it) He passed away on the 4th of September last year.

Then March of this year just as my Mum was getting her life on track she was also diagnosed with terminal bladder cancer and given a year. She has gone down hill very quickly since and is currently in a hospice.

Like others have said, enjoy what time you have left, laugh, talk about things including their upbringing, work, mates & general life. Talk about the future with your Mum & let her know you will be there for her.

Use friends, family and support services for your Mum,Dad & yourself.

Use the void to set yourself a cycling target and give something back, I have raised nearly £5K this doing charity bike rides.

Sorry its a bit of a waffle but I’m on nights and my head is all over the place with the events mentioned above and a lack of sleep.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear that AA. Make the most of your time while you can.

jamj1974

Just wanted to echo something someone else just posted.

[i]Don’t let the medical team push you around![/u][/i]

The team looking after my dad unilaterally decided to withdraw treatment and institute the Liverpool Care Pathway. This would have meant withdrawing support for my dad’s breathing and increasing pain relief to speed his death. I challenged this and I am so glad I did – one of the best things I have ever done. My dad lived for another week and during that week we had the opportunity to say goodbye and had some wonderful conversations. He then slipped away when he was ready – not when the medical team decided they wanted him to…

BoardinBob

My wife lost her mum to a brain tumour last year after a 4 year battle so I’ve seen and felt the impact this has on a family. I hope you’re OK and my emails in my profile if you ever have any questions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough times AA, I hope you can support him and enjoy the time that remains together. Don’t leave anything positive unsaid. Look after you mum through this too and don’t totally forget yourself. Its a sign of strength that you can share this with us. Best wishes for your whole family.

stealthcat

My mother died of bowel cancer 18 months ago – she had been diagnosed just over 2 years before that. Looking back, there were signs that something was wrong before the diagnosis as her character had changed noticeably to a rather nastier person; where she had sniped at my dad in fun, she started to mean it much more.

During the last 2 years, I think the most important things I did were talk to her and say all the things I needed to say, and take over the caring for a few days at a time so that my dad could have a break. It meant my dad could relax but know that someone he trusted was with her.

When my brother and I went down to see them at Christmas the year before last, we had a backup plan that Jon and I would stay with my mother, and my dad would go to my brother’s for a few days over Christmas so he had a break and could play with his grandson. We took one look at my dad when we got there, and packed him off straight away – he was worn out. My mother was also much better behaved with me than she was with him, and I think the break was good for both of them – she made the effort to come downstairs on Christmas Day, and was generally less awkward about what she wanted to eat, who she wanted to see and so on.

Right at the end, the district nurse and Marie Curie nurses were a godsend…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘so my dads dying’ is closed to new replies.