Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • So my dad passed away in hospital last night
  • arrpee
    Free Member

Love and strength to you and your family.

I also second Richmtb’s sentiments above.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m truly sorry for your loss Northwind.

georgesdad

Condolences to you and your family, especially at this time of year. Mint sauce says it all. He’ll be there in the woods, watching you ride.

jamj1974

So sorry to hear that. You must be devastated. Take care.

stumpy01

NW – It probably doesn’t mean much from an internet random, but i just wanted to offer my condolences. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I hope you have people close to you over the coming days, weeks and months who can offer a listening ear and a strong shoulder?

Best Wishes.

mehr
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I found out over the weekend that my Dad has terminal liver cancer (1 yr at best) and am struggling to process it all, as I haven’t spoken to him for 3 years.

Obviously I’m going to see him but it keeps going over how much of a waste the whole time was

irc

My condolences for everyone who has lost or are losing there parents. If you are lucky your parents just seem to go on forever. My dad was brilliant. He passed at 90 after a long active live and good health until his last year. There was an article in UK climbing about him the year he died. I worked with a guy once who mentioned in passing how he hadn’t spoken to his dad in years. It hadn’t occurred to me that not everyone has great parents.
    https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/john_cullen_creagh_dhu_climber-9547

andybrad

Very sorry to hear this. My deepest sympathies:(

Northwind

Thanks a lot folks, I usually like to respond to individuals but I can’t do that just now… But I printed these all out and went through them with my mum, who’s feeling really isolated right now, and she was really touched. Not just by well wishes but also by the “been there done that’s”. It really means a lot.

You’re not bad, singletrackworld.

MrOvershoot

Well done Northwind that’s just the thing to do for your mum your a great son 🙂

Obviously your father was someone you both loved and you have risen to the challenge of being the man to look after your family.

scc999

So sorry for your loss NW – deepest condolences to you and your family.

I’m sure you don’t need reminding, but please take time to look after yourself as well as others.

Thinking of you.

Si

Moe

Condolences to you and your family, I lost my mother on Thursday night, she had dementia and contracted a chest infection, she passed peacefully with my sister and brother with her. It’s a strange feeling being on the other side of something I’ve witnessed often. I feel comforted that she didn’t have to suffer the confusion of the dementia for too long, she had got to the point where she had no memory whasotever.

parkesie
    Free Member

Condolences to you and your family Northwind. I can’t even put into words how hard it was for us last Christmas when my dad passes suddenly. But I can say that the good memories and family bring you through it.
    That mint sauce comic strip brought a few tears to my eyes today thank you for sharing it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Your mum can also watch me fall off my bike if she likes.

chestrockwell

Sorry to hear mate and my sympathy to you and yours. Lost my Dad too early so can appreciate how you feel.

nach
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss, Northwind 🙁

myopic
    Free Member

I feel for you, Northwind 🙁

andykirk
    Free Member

To echo the title of this thread, my own dad passed away in hospital last night after a fall and a series of chest infections. Isn’t it odd one comes to a bike forum for solace.

By FAR the hardest thing for me is knowing that I can’t nip over to see him or speak to him ever again. And there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. We spent a lot of time together during his life but I’d give anything for just another few minutes with him.

One of my friends who lost their mum previously told me they still sometimes call their mum on the phone, i.e they just make the shape of a phone with their right hand, raise it their ear and have a chat. I have tried it, and my dad is there listening. It helps me, and I hope maybe it helps someone else reading this.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Northwind and Andyk.  Feel for you both. My dad passed away 4 years ago now and I i still think “oh i should call my dad, haven’t spoken to him in a while”. Then you remember.  Still, he was great, I was lucky to have had him.

All the best to you both, and to others in a similar position.

lovewookie

It’s hard, losing your dad.
    Mine was always in the background, offering gentle humour to counterbalance my mums fixed ways. He died suddenly in 1998, he had not long turned 60, I was 24 and living at home, but focussing mostly on my own direction.
    I’d been back from Uni a couple of years, working a poorly paid job, and thinking about how to progress career wise, so not really thinking about life at home being anything other than temporary.
    I remember coming back from a weekend away at my girlfriends, to a house full of relatives and then being told by my mum that m dad was dead.
    I guess at the time I’d not really considered who my dad was. As I was getting older I got a glimpse of the man, what he’d done though his life and who he’d met, but not got the chance to know him as a person. Just the odd conversation, but I could tell that there would have been many more, as he got to know me, as a man, and i’d get to know him.

It’s only now, well into my 40’s, with a wife and family that I look back and miss him more than I did when I was younger. All of the memories that could have been, he’d have loved his granddaughter, and would have made any excuse to visit us in Scotland for conversation and whiskey, and would have dragged my mum about with him in their retirement.

Not sure what the poin of this story is, I guess it’s reflection on the value of stopping once in a while to appreciate those who are around you, like trees in the breeze.

racefaceec90

my condolences to you and everyone who knew your dad, may he rest in peace.

Northwind

Sorry for your loss Andykirk, and glad you’ve found a way you can connect.

bob_summers

Lost my old fella on NYE. 75 years young. Luckily we were over visiting for xmas and I was holding his hand as he went.
    Dispelled a couple of myths, for me at least – no-one dies of prostate cancer, and cancer doesnˋt spread very fast in the elderly. I was shocked how quickly he went downhill from one day to the next.
    Still very much processing it. I feel I did most of my grieving while he was ill, tbh Iˋm angry about it more than anything. Donˋt know when it will really hit.

Condolences to all.

jimmy

Sorry, this is NW’s thread. But this is not far off my experience having lost my dad to cancer 3 months after my daughter (and only kid) was born. He was a great grandad to my sister’s kids, I’m sad he couldn’t be for mine.

It’s only now, well into my 40’s, with a wife and family that I look back and miss him more than I did when I was younger. All of the memories that could have been, he’d have loved his granddaughter, and would have made any excuse to visit us in Scotland for conversation and whiskey, and would have dragged my mum about with him in their retirement.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss Andy and Northwind.  My Father is looking increasing frail and am dreading the day he goes, it’s not helped that he lives 300 miles away so I only see him a few times a year.

Futureboy77

@jimmy (and apologies NW). My dad died quite soon after my first was born and he had an amazing very short bond with her. My second was born a year later and I felt awful that one got the bond that the other didn’t. Now…after time, my youngest is so alike my dad in attitude and looks it’s uncanny. Your dad is still with you and your kid. Just in a different way 👍 Those pesky genes live on.

takisawa2

Sorry for your loss old chap.

My Dad passed away last August.
    We are currently just finishing doing up his house. I think I’m dreading it being finished & sold as it’s the last tie to him.
    But we’ve finally agreed on having his ashes scattered beneath a tree tree that’s dedicated to him in the local cemetery. He was long since divorced from my mum, who is buried in the same cemetery. Mum passed away 2 weeks after Dad. Last year was a tough one.
    Take things a step at a time.

jamj1974

Andykirk. So sorry for your loss – although I am very glad you can find some comfort as you say below.

One of my friends who lost their mum previously told me they still sometimes call their mum on the phone, i.e they just make the shape of a phone with their right hand, raise it their ear and have a chat. I have tried it, and my dad is there listening. It helps me, and I hope maybe it helps someone else reading this.

My dad died almost eight years ago at 63. It was a long illness – but a fairly sudden decline.  I find as time goes on, as I get older – I understand him more and that is a bonus. Sometimes, I think you can get closer to the person they were in this way.

I hope that all of you, who have experienced a profound loss – get some comfort in your own way.

Take care,

Jay

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘So my dad passed away in hospital last night’ is closed to new replies.