Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 566 total)
  • So my bro got caught speeding
  • tails
    Free Member

I think the problem is if you do **** up and hit the barriers scattering your motor and possibly your torso across the lanes of the motorway., the next driver 2 miles behind you has to stop and sort it out.

km79
    Free Member

He then said ” I really hope you don’t normally drive at that speed” to which i quite truthfully answered “no, of course not officer”. It was completely truthfull, because just prior to that i’d been doing an indicated 175………

😆 Reminds me of the time I got pulled over doing just over 90mph. The cop asked me if I knew what speed I was doing. “Oh, probably closer to 80 than 70” says I. “Try 90” he snapped back to which I replied “Well it’s still closer to 80 than 70”. He was not amused.

njee20
    Free Member

Motorway speed limits are pretty arbitrary, and the basis for their being set is long lost.

If they increased the limit to 80 would you still be outraged at the reckless endangerment bikebuoy, or is it just ‘because it’s the rules’?

How do you feel driving in Germany? Even at 60 it must be hard not to crash with all that hand wringing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimjam
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member

Respect your opinions chaps, but if it’s an empty road, what’s the problem? No one to hurt but yourself.

‘If a tree falls in the woods’ etc…
    Posted 20 minutes ago # Report-Post

funkmasterp – Member

The problem is that not everyone can follow the empty road logic. There are a lot of seriously daft people out there. Simple blanket rules help keep things simple. Want to go fast go to the track
    Posted 16 minutes ago # Report-Post

tails – Member

I think the problem is if you do **** up and hit the barriers scattering your motor and possibly your torso across the lanes of the motorway., the next driver 2 miles behind you has to stop and sort it out.

+1 for – How do they cope in Germany?

rene59
    Free Member

thegeneralist – Member

What a **** up legal system we have…

Judge: You’re accused of breaking the speed limit on a motorway and endangering life. Do you have anything to say?
    Accused: Yes I drive do it shit loads throughout the year and this speed is not habitual as you can see from my relatively clean endorsement history.
    Judge: Ah ok, then we’ll not give you a big sentence then as it wasn’t really that serious given you were deemed to be driving safely. Drive slower this time on your way back home.
    Accused: Ok will do, cheers.

eh.. FTFY

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How do you feel driving in Germany? Even at 60 it must be hard not to crash with all that hand wringing.

Hope he never goes to the Isle of Man either.

Everybody speeds. Until recently I was doing a motorway commute by motorbike. I was in no rush and I’d stick to 70 (+/- 2mph) day after day after day. Prior to that I’d done a lot of car mileage at work and used to set the cruise as 65, so I know where he’s coming from. But he breaks speed limits. Everyone does. I really honestly don’t believe ANYONE who says they NEVER EVER break a speed limit. Mostly it’s fine and it’s live and let live IMO. I’d rather someone go a bit quick now and again and pay attention than some of the stupidly and inattention you see every day. 70mph is too low anyway. Most of Europe is higher than that as are some US states these days. Given my choice I’d set it at 90, maybe 100, and crucify anyone that went more than 5-10mph over it. Long bans no matter what they sobbed about.
    We’ve not got long left like this anyway. Our kids will see self driving cars that don’t need to speed to get places faster than we do now because nobody will own a car, we’ll just call one up on an app when we need one, so the roads will be a lot quieter.
    Anyway. Back to Earth. Dinner time soon…. 🙂

maxtorque

The speed limits were set when we drove these:

They set the Mway speed limit to pretty much within 10mph of the maximum speed of that typical family car.

If we did the same today the speed limit on the Mway would be 120mph.

Now, i’m not suggesting that 120mph is a sensible speed at which to set the limit, but i am showing just how arbitrary the number about which the “arbiters of the national limit” get soo frothy about……

(Take a train under, or a boat over just 20 miles of channel, and you can do 85 legally (in the dry) for example)

The only difference between 100mph and 99mm is that one has 3 figures and the other just two. And you can drive dangerously at 20mph and safely at 200mph.

Context, is everything……..

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    footflaps

And you can drive dangerously at 20mph and safely at 200mph.

Context, is everything……..

+1

Cougar

Reminds me of the time I got pulled over doing just over 90mph. The cop asked me if I knew what speed I was doing. “Oh, probably closer to 80 than 70” says I. “Try 90” he snapped back to which I replied “Well it’s still closer to 80 than 70”. He was not amused.

That’s hilarious (-:

I really honestly don’t believe ANYONE who says they NEVER EVER break a speed limit.

Oh, I do. I encounter TCR jam cars on a regular basis. Dribbling along at 50mph in the middle lane of the motorway, or driving around town and dabbing the brakes every time they approach 20mph.

They’re a minority though, in terms of speed abusers I see far more monospeeders who think 40mph is the correct speed to be driving at irrespective of whether the posted limit is 30 or 70. They’re great fun to be behind on motorway slip roads.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Incidentally, the UK motorway speed limit was set as a temporary measure by somebody who couldn’t even drive.

Oh, and what you’d do in Germany is this:

Drive as fast as you like without being an utter cock.
    If you’re an utter cock you’ll get pulled over.
    If it’s raining don’t be even a slight cock.
    If you’re in an accident and you’re doing over 100mph then you will be assumed to be at fault.
    If you’re in an accident at over 100mph then ‘fault’ won’t matter anyway.
    Move the **** over when you’ve finished overtaking.
    Your car tops out at 155mph? How cute, move over.

I drive a diesel van and know my place.

Cougar

They set the Mway speed limit to pretty much within 10mph of the maximum speed of that typical family car.

And it was nothing to do with road safety, it was because Jaguar were using the M6 as a test track.

ourmaninthenorth

you can drive dangerously at 20mph

As I indicated via the time honored “shaking the beans” symbol yesterday when walking down a singletrack lane (public footpath, private road) as he charged towards me and my scared 7 yo daughter in his SUV.

He didn’t take to kindly to my gesticulating, just as I dodn;t take too kindly to his dangerous behaviour.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Respect your opinions chaps, but if it’s an empty road, what’s the problem? No one to hurt but yourself.

‘If a tree falls in the woods’ etc…
    Except at that speed your rate of approach to any other previously unseen road user is rapid. Plus it’s speeding at over twice the limit which makes you a bellend. There are no excuses for speeding.

Cougar

Oh, and what you’d do in Germany is this:

Out of interest, how do autobahn accident statistics stack up to ours, anyone know? Our motorways are statistically the safest roads we have. And yes, I know there’s more to accidents than speed alone; road design, driver training and ability etc. Just curious.

(Yeah, I could Google it, but it’s easier to ask on STW and let someone else share their knowledge or do the legwork…)

giantalkali
    Free Member

No idea of stats, but my German info is legit, I’ve seen a pushy cock in a Porsche bullying cars out of his way, only to be pulled over about 5 miles ahead. The police are very strict and there is even a campaign to reduce what we might call roadhogs, boy racers or Jeremy Clarkson. There’s large hoardings by the motorways showing a family in a car being harassed by said cock. I can’t remember the wording but it’s something like ‘Drängeln’ which is literally ‘jostle’.

jimjam
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

We’ve not got long left like this anyway. Our kids will see self driving cars that don’t need to speed to get places faster than we do now because nobody will own a car, we’ll just call one up on an app when we need one, so the roads will be a lot quieter.

I keep posting this so once more won’t hurt, but I think self driving cars will be tiered/taxed based on how fast you’re allowed to go. If the speed limits are based on human abilities why would you stop fully autonomous cars from doing 100+ on the motorway?

I think for a time at least prestige/performance models will allow you to zoom past the plebs in their inferior marques, if you pay.

tonyg2003

Really odd thread here I think. I don’t think that anyone could defend the OP’s brother who probably (with the way speedo’s under read) was probably showing +100mph in their car. No excuse.

Bikebouy – never do 33mph in a 30mph zone or 45 in a 40?

The M-way speed limits were introduced in the 60’s after AC cars were found to have been road testing their Le Mans Shelby Coupe on the M1 straight near Newport Pagnall. Someone getting that speed ow would make headlines so imagine the impact 50years ago.

jimjam
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member

The M-way speed limits were introduced in the 60’s after AC cars were found to have been road testing their Le Mans Shelby Coupe on the M1 straight near Newport Pagnall. Someone getting that speed ow would make headlines so imagine the impact 50years ago.

185mph at 4:15 am.

theotherjonv

No one to hurt but yourself.

and the firemen and paramedics that cut you out, and the road that has to be closed for hours for accident investigation and repair, and the copper that has to go to your house and tell your mum, and your mum herself, and…..

Cougar

probably showing +100mph in their car. No excuse.

Agreed.

Bikebouy – never do 33mph in a 30mph zone or 45 in a 40?

Unless I’m misremembering usernames I very much doubt it going off previous discussions here. Probably best not to push this line of enquiry TBH.

The M-way speed limits were introduced in the 60’s after AC cars were found to have been road testing their Le Mans Shelby Coupe on the M1

Hah, I got both the manufacturer and the road wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If the speed limits are based on human abilities why would you stop fully autonomous cars from doing 100+ on the motorway?

im sure…. the human element wont go away

for example … will the human check the tires and spot the damage that causes the blow out when the car hits 100 ?

things still fail and like it or not the faster your going when it fails the more severe the consequences

jimjam
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

If the speed limits are based on human abilities why would you stop fully autonomous cars from doing 100+ on the motorway?

im sure…. the human element wont go away

for example … will the human check the tires and spot the damage that causes the blow out when the car hits 100 ?

things still fail and like it or not the faster your going when it fails the more severe the consequences [/quote]

Tyre temperature and pressure sensors are already a thing – the car could decide whether the tyre pressure, weather and road conditions are safe to go ???mph. At the minute a human can ignore info from their tyre pressure sensors or fail to check them and drive 70+mph. If the car is in control you can’t do that.

Anyway the main reason I think this will be a thing is for taxation. If EVs are tax exempt for co2 reasons governments will have to reconsider their taxation models – performance, speed and going faster than others seems like a perfect reason.

6079smithw
    Free Member

so who got harmed? Any victims of these crimes who suffered harm or loss?

Cougar

jambourgie
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    No one to hurt but yourself.

and the firemen and paramedics that cut you out, and the road that has to be closed for hours for accident investigation and repair, and the copper that has to go to your house and tell your mum, and your mum herself, and…..

By the same logic, we should say it’s morally wrong to participate in anything that could result in a call-out for the emergency services. Cycling for example.

Gary_C

*Wonders if jambourgie will explain what the fast lane is*

*Wonders if bikebouy will explain what the slow lane is*

paulneenan76
    Free Member

A few years ago I attended a speed awareness course. Very insightful and gave me plenty of food for thought. I would say I drive progressively but hypeaware in any built-up areas. Dual carriageways/motorways etc and I will consistently speed but if I top 100 it’s seconds only, not worth the risk, too much traffic.

jamesoz

Some comedy gold. Fast lane, slow lane bollocks. Unfortunately there’s always been a speed limit on the Autobahn due to traffic when I’ve been on one.
    Those that advocate zero speeding tolerance on the motorway, how do you feel when you cross the channel to an 80mph limit. Is it somehow safe because the sign says so?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Had the parents over during the Christmas break and was informed that my brother was having to go to court as he got caught doing 120mph on the m6 toll road. He doesn’t need to drive for work as he works from home and has enough money to pay the taxi fares to the airports. If he doesn’t get banned then there is something very wrong with our legal system and I have everything crossed that he does get a ban.

For a little bit of context I was informed a good few years ago on a single lane bypass with my mum in the car he was doing 100mph and he frequently and actually always drives at those sorts of speeds with his wife and kids in the car….. utter pr!ck!!!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

@golfchick, he’s clearly a Selfish swine of the highest order.

On said course, was also told that traffic accidents with a fatality cost £1m a go on average. Seemed a touch exaggerated but I’m sure all the services attending, investigations, forensics etc., it soon mounts up.

theotherjonv

By the same logic, we should say it’s morally wrong to participate in anything that could result in a call-out for the emergency services. Cycling for example.

I don’t think the same sort of psychological trauma is likely to be involved in treating the average cycling wrist or collarbone as picking someone’s body parts out of a crushed car that’s hit a tree. And when my mum got the call to come and pick me up because i was in a wrist cast….. i think she was more annoyed at me messing up her timing of the sunday roast than devastated at the loss of her eldest child in an entirely avoidable ‘accident’.

But you carry on, it’s only yourself you’re harming.

aracer
    Free Member

refixed

aazlad
    Free Member

A sobering fact I was told at a speed awareness course on Saturday (caught doing 36 in a 30 which is embarrassing compared to some of the above)…

If two identical cars doing 70mph and 90mph slam on at the same point, at the point where the car doing 70mph stops (potentially avoiding collision), the car doing 90mph is still doing 70mph. Hitting a fixed object at 70mph is going to hurt.

Basically when braking hard a vehicle sheds a huge amount of its initial speed at the end of the braking phase. Speeding kills kids!

orangespyderman

Those that advocate zero speeding tolerance on the motorway, how do you feel when you cross the channel to an 80mph limit. Is it somehow safe because the sign says so?

Nah. Loads more people die every year in France on the roads than in the UK. The current proposal is to reduce the limit on main single carriage roads (not motorways) from 90km/h to 80km/h and that’s what the French are up in arms about this week (there may be other things that I’ve missed 😆 )

The fact is the French don’t really appreciate speed limits.

tpbiker
    Free Member

And 112mph, you deserve a 10yr ban. You should know better

Daft doing that speed, but a ten year ban. Get a grip. It’s far more dangerous driving at 30 past a school than it is 120 on a deserted 3 lane motorway (in a high performance car).

Context is everything…

giantalkali
    Free Member

If two identical cars doing 70mph and 90mph slam on at the same point, at the point where the car doing 70mph stops (potentially avoiding collision), the car doing 90mph is still doing 70mph.

That’s got to be wrong. So if it takes 5 seconds to stop from 70 then it’s gonna be 10 secs from 90? **** I’ll have to start braking before I even reach 120!

rene59
    Free Member

refixed

Innocent until proven guilty! 😀

tpbiker
    Free Member

If two identical cars doing 70mph and 90mph slam on at the same point, at the point where the car doing 70mph stops (potentially avoiding collision), the car doing 90mph is still doing 70mph. Hitting a fixed object at 70mph is going to hurt.

I’m interested what identical cars they base that on. A performance car brakes from 60-0 in about a third the distance of what it states in the highway code.

ransos
    Free Member

Where are all these deserted roads we keep hearing about?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 566 total)

The topic ‘So my bro got caught speeding’ is closed to new replies.