Viewing 6 posts - 561 through 566 (of 566 total)
  • So my bro got caught speeding
  • jonnyboi

I’ve never see anybody reply to themselves four times in a row

Big hitter, innit

Edukator
    Free Member

The car I learned to drive in had hand crank, no sychro on first and neglible anywhere else, amusing handling characteristics, windows that fell into the doors (I asked the driving tester if he wanted me to find somewhere safe to stop and put it back up, he declined), required hand signals when the indicators didn’t indicate, drainage holes in the floor which dealt nicely with the leaks, a key to open it but a srcew driver would do, a petrol cap, an ice scraper in the glove box – it was ace.

My latest car has a button to turn it on, a lever to choose direction, a pedal to make it go, and a pedal to charge the battery and slow it down, electric windows, a piece of plastic to open it but a computer and some software wil do, a plug socket, a pre-heat button – it’s ace.

How safe or dangerous they are to others is about the same and mostly dependent of a common component, the nut behind the steering wheel. However, the latest one does a better job of protecting the occupants from the stupidity of others.

Sandwich

Every single bike went down the road due to the system shutting power down when it decided the vehicle was exceeding the limit. Pretty much all in mid-corner.
    Stupid idea.

Well that implementation of it was. A more sophisticated, better engineered solution is required. One that can sense a bike going around a corner for example.

pondo

Be interested to read about that – which mag was it in?

Edukator
    Free Member

One that can sense a bike going around a corner for example.

Or one that gradually reduces power as the limit is reached, that’s what my car does when I set the limiter. If I engage the limiter when travelling faster than the programmed speed it freewheels but doesn’t apply any motor braking, it just flashes orange at me and sounds an audible warning.

airtragic
    Free Member

I’d suggest aviation is different though, because you don’t have to actively steer around physical objects all the time.

Valid point but remember aviation isn’t just pilots, also ATC (hurrah) and engineering. We’re talking about a property of the human animal here -propensity to get bored!

The road should demand ALL your attention – so the more you have to divert to operating the car, the less is available for driving, IMO.

If your attention is wandering whilst driving then surely having to do more stuff to operate the car is going to distract you all the more?

It doesn’t always take all your attention though, especially on the motorway; if you’re at capacity all the time you’d never nav, fiddle with the stereo, have a conversation…. You’re talking about the line between under and over -arousal, distraction… human performance sure is a complicated thing! Just to be clear, I agree driver aids are a good thing in general and the nugget behind the wheel is the weakest link in the system, just saying it’s not simple!

Viewing 6 posts - 561 through 566 (of 566 total)

The topic ‘So my bro got caught speeding’ is closed to new replies.