• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So, mushroom stalks….. Yay or nay?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m still undecided.
    I’ll usually break them off but are they that different to the rest of the mushroom?

thepurist

It’s pretty much all there is of some (eg king oyster).  Keep em on.

bob_summers

Yay, and don’t wash them

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yay. But I do give them a quick wipe because I don’t like eating soil.

tthew

I tend to break them off and eat them raw as I’m cooking. Mmm.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Straight in the bin, my wife accuses me of being ‘Fancy’ for doing this.

big_scot_nanny

It’s all ‘shroom, innit? Deffo yay!

swavis

Just wash the soil off and into the pan, yummy!

oldnpastit

Yes. Delicious.

drewd

Yay, they taste just like mushroom.

FB-ATB

Yes to the stalks and eating a few whilst cooking. Don’t wash them, just wipe the soil off- washing means they’ll absorb extra water.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes eat the stalks, just a waste otherwise!

colin9

I eat them raw every day.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yay. But I do give them a quick wipe because I don’t like eating soil.

It’s not soil. Shrooms are mostly grown on pasteurised chicken litter compost.

tjagain

Chuck the stalks in the bin, followed by the caps, then get something edible to eat.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just what are you undecided about ? What do you think they are made of ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just what are you undecided about ?

I’m happy to say that I swing both ways and have sometimes discarded them if they look manky but also eaten them…. like this morning. I was really wondering whether it’s the done thing or not.

What do you think they are made of ?

I dunno, are apple stalks the same as apple? Does everyone eat the whole of a head of broccoli including the stem thing?

hols2
    Free Member

Chuck the stalks in the bin, followed by the caps, then get something edible to eat.

FFS, what’s wrong with you? They just absorb the flavours of anything they’re cooked with, so you just fry them with some garlic and butter and they taste like fried garlic, then you spend the next few hours blasting out mushroom flavoured farts.

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t wash them, just wipe the soil off- washing means they’ll absorb extra water.

I’ve no idea why this myth persists: mushrooms are about 90% water to start with, and absorb a trivial amount when washed.

It’s not soil. Shrooms are mostly grown on pasteurised chicken litter compost.

This is true. And as I have no desire to eat chicken shit (pasteurised or otherwise), my mushrooms get a rinse.

CraigW
    Free Member

Chop the ends off the stalks, and wash the dirt off, eat the rest.

And I also eat broccoli stalks. Just slice it thinly, so it cooks.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Normally just cook the entire thing unmolested. Stems are part of the mushroom. Certain species may have a more ‘fibrous’ stem, then just slice that off and put it with other veg offcuts scraps for making stock.

Assuming you’re talking about cultivated button mushrooms (Agaricus Bisporus) then no need.

mariner
    Free Member

Depends what I am making and type of mushroom but normally yes.
    Soy butter mushrooms no unless using Cepes or Shiitake.

sirromj

True connoisseurs only eat the spore.

kayak23

It’s never occurred to me NOT to eat the stalk. What a waste. Same people that cut crusts off bread I imagine.

Lunatics.

Trimix
    Free Member

I knew someone who only ate the breast of a roast chicken, they binned the rest !

I was tempted to raid their bins on a Sunday.

tthew

I dunno, are apple stalks the same as apple? Does everyone eat the whole of a head of broccoli including the stem thing?

Not the apple stalk, but I do eat the core minus easily flicked out pips. Most of the Broccoli stem gets eaten, minus the gert big lump on the end.

Dickyboy

Most of the Broccoli stem gets eaten,

Raw broccoli stem sliced is lovely

hols2
    Free Member

Raw broccoli stem sliced is lovely

It’s even better if you fry it in butter with some garlic.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I knew someone who only ate the breast of a roast chicken, they binned the rest !

granny_ring

🙂

avdave2

I use a spiraliser with broccoli stems and chuck them in stir fry’s

jim25

Depends how hard I want to trip really

brendan2010
    Free Member

Eat the lot, quick wipe without water first

joshvegas
    Free Member

I came here to provide useful advice.

TJ beat me to it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yes and broccoli stalks too, I love the different texture.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Erm, eat them?
    If you want to make them look classy, slice them diagonally into thin rounds before cooking.

isoo
    Free Member

Yay, and to all concerned about rinsing and moisture, you can put the cut up shrooms on a dry frying pan on gentle heat and water will boil out. Also concentrates the taste, and is a good first step for making pie fillings etc. where sogginess is to be avoided.

mogrim

Inspired by this thread I had some for dinner: roughly chopped, fried in a bit of olive oil, a teaspoon or so of dried thyme and some salt. Chucked in a knob of butter at the end just because. Lovely. Stalks and all.

mattyfez

All of it. Chopped accordingly depending.

I might chop the very end off the root for cosmetic purposes if I’m serving the ambassador at one of my exclusive dinner parties.

CountZero

I’ll just slice the very end off the stalk, because it’s usually a bit dried up, then I’ll either pull the stalks off and cook them with the caps whole, or slice the whole thing vertically and fry, lots of butter, black pepper, and chilli flakes, then put onto nice thick lightly toasted slices of multigrain brown bread, or put into a three egg omelette with grated cheese.
    And now I’m feeling hungry 😋

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So, mushroom stalks….. Yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.