Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • So many car threads
  • paul4stones

So here’s another one!

I have an 09 Mazda 6 estate which has been great but has now done 173,000 miles and is starting to show signs of wear. Coupled with I now have two teenagers in the house who can drive but they can’t both have their own insurance (Marmalade style) on my wife’s corsa. My car is too old to get them insured on now apparently.

I’m not in a huge rush – student son won’t be back until summer so no need to have him insured at the moment – but that’s the first question. Should I hang on as long as possible until the Mazda dies or pre-empt any major problems and a panic buy? I’m trying to get an idea of what I should be looking for in advance.

We have a van so I probably don’t need a massive car but I do lob my bike in the back for a commute at least once a week so being able to do that is handy if possible.

I want petrol despite doing 18k a year. The modern ones seem much more economical (50+ mpg combined) and currently petrol is 10p/litre cheaper. Plus particulates, etc.

I’ve discounted Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and VAG on grounds of image, cost and likely difficulty with student insurance.

I don’t want to spend more than £10k. I reckon mine is worth £3-500 as a trade in.

So I’m thinking Skoda Octavia (of course, this is STW) or possibly Fabia estate; Ford Focus estate (fond memories of a Mark 1 2.0 estate); or something a bit more leftfield like a C’eed or suchlike.

Any thoughts and thanks for the wisdom.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My 240,000 miles Honda has been faultless. 1.6 petrol. Uses no oil between changes. So I’d say consider Honda, or other Japanese makes for reliability.

Did 500 miles in two days in a Cee’d hire car not long ago. Nice and comfy and plenty fast enough.

Try a quote for their insurance with you and the mrs as named drivers. That can bring it down a fair bit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I miss my 9 plate Mazda 6 estate, I swapped it for this piece of shit Kia estate nearly two years ago and when i did I gave up part of my driving soul that day. Great car!

paul4stones

Ha ha

I miss my 9 plate Mazda 6 estate, I swapped it for this piece of shit Kia estate nearly two years ago and when i did I gave up part of my driving soul that day. Great car!

You’re not helping!

redmex
    Free Member

A ten year old car with the miles on the clock canny be worth anymore than 1K with a years mot or am I out of touch buying cars?

paul4stones

What kind of Honda Mary? I’ve a friend on his second Accord estate and he likes them. You can’t drive through deep puddles quickly in them though…

paul4stones

redmex – I got mildly excited when I put the details into a part-ex estimate thing online and it came back with £2300. Then I realised I’d put the mileage down as 17300 not 173000!

slackalice
    Free Member

I got hold of a 58 plate Mazda 6 estate last spring, 2.5 petrol sport version with 117k, no rattles, squeaks, feels planted and taut and I’m really liking it. Not as plush as a previous e-class Merc but it handles and goes well enough. So how about one of the newer versions in saloon or hatch? The skyactive engines are proving efficient too.

HTH 😉

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Paul4stones – HR-V. The quirky 4wd with CVT auto.

Totally not plush or posh (I have another car thread about that!) but pretty much unstoppable. The 4wd is surprisingly good. Gets used as the bike car, tip car, building materials car, tow car, going out for a play in the snow car.

It’s 15 years old, had it from new. It really is a piece of me and I will be sad to see it go. When (if!) we finally buy a new car (see other thread) I aim to put a new MOT on it and give it away to someone who could really do with a car but can’t afford to buy one.

Merak

09 Mazda 173,000
    I reckon mine is worth £3-500 as a trade in.

Nah.

paul4stones

More? or less?

johndoh
    Free Member

More? or less?

A car of that age is basically worth exactly the % margin the dealership has in any particular sale (ie, they might give you £1k for it against a nearly new premium marque, but £200 against a 6 year old Fiesta).

paul4stones

So thanks for all the responses. I suppose the question I’d like answered is whether anyone has experience of a Skoda Fabia estate, particularly as far as chucking a bike in the back goes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘So many car threads’ is closed to new replies.