Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • So… Looks like im going to work in Western Australia – Perth or Broome?
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I lived in Perth for ~6 Months back in 2001 and spent 3 days in Broome. I’d live in Perth. Theres lots to do. It was a bit crap only having a bike living there, public transport was duff and the city was so spread out it took ages to get about by bike. Broome was pretty (and hot), but I never tried riding out there.

Subiaco in Perth was a lovely place to live, ok transport on the train, nice bars, easy to get to the beach. West Leaderville was also a cool place to live.

http://www.rtrfm.com.au/ is a local alternative radio station. Worth a listen for the music- I still do ten years on, but also it has whats on and you might get a bit of a feel of the more alternative areas of town.

Best of luck to you 🙂

bigjim

I love Perth, stayed in Subiaco for a short while but its not a cheap area. WA is fantastic and is ‘proper’ Australia, the east coast was an anticlimax coming from the west. I didn’t go to Broome but my Melbournian ex-gf moved there lured by cable beach and idyllic setting but left fairly soon after, quiet and too hot basically I think.

Can’t beat the sun setting over the indian ocean every night as you sit out drinking a cold beer in Cottesloe!

sweaman2
    Free Member

I would go for Perth; especially if Broome is as small as everyone is making sound (never went that far). In my experience if your doing FIFO then when you are “out” the last thing you want to be doing is bumping into the rest of your crew mates everynight anyway (at least in my opinion). The odd night out together is great but when it feels like the off time is still on that can become a problem.

unovolo
    Free Member

+1 for Perth
    Several nice suburbs already mentioned,Subiaco,Fremantle(freo),Leederville,& Nedlands/Peppermint Grove if your wadded.

Personally I found Perth(city centre) easy to get round on the bike,we used to live in Wembley which was about 10/mins bike ride.

There are some crazies(hoons) in cars on the roads though.
    Road cycling is a lot more popular there with a few of the Bike shops(The Bicycle Entreprenuer)doing group rides if your interested.

For Mtb head to the “Hills” literally around Kalamunda ,plenty of trails to ride and some great scenery.

And a plug for my old workplace

zokes
    Free Member

The wage is Au$80k plus 10k superannuation.

That’s a good wage here, but not amazing I guess. You certainly won’t feel like you would if you were on £50k in the UK. If you can find a small flat or a houseshare then you should be OK in a good suburb in Perth. As others have said, Subiaco or Freo would be some of the better ‘burbs to end up in if you choose Perth.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hi again one_happy_hippy. A couple of things to whet your apetite for all the great riding you’re gonna do when you get here…

Perth MTB Club website: http://www.perthmtb.asn.au/

Great new book covering everthing you ever wanted to know about MTB in WA, available online at: http://downhilldownunder.com/western-australian-mountain-bike-guide

And, a four day MTB event through the wineries, forests & beaches of the Margaret River region in October: http://capetocapemtb.com/

Enjoy! 😀

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Hey all!

Thanks for all the tips and hints and encouragement! I have today taken the plunge accepted the job and handed in my notice.

About 50/50 on the scared excited front currently!

PerthMTB – I’ll drop you a mail in the next couple of days when I have my feet back on the ground an vaguely know what’s happening!

Ta again all!

molgrips
    Free Member

Scared? Don’t be so silly.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Flying to a country which I have never even visited, on the other side of the world, where I know no-one, to go and work 14 12hr days straight and live in a tent a 1.5hr heli flight from civilisation.

EeeeeP!

😀

zokes
    Free Member

Well, about a year ago, we felt like that (with the exception of the 1.5h heli flight – Adelaide’s not that remote).

Some days you’ll hate it, hopefully most days you’ll love it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Flying to a country which I have never even visited, on the other side of the world, where I know no-one, to go and work 14 12hr days straight and live in a tent a 1.5hr heli flight from civilisation

What bad things could happen? You have a job, you’re getting money, your bills are paid, that’s all that matters. Everything else is an adventure.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So… Looks like im going to work in Western Australia – Perth or Broome?’ is closed to new replies.