Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • so learning to do jumps drop offs etc are flats better
  • firestarter
    Free Member

just trying to develop some skills to improve my riding i normally run spds would it be better for me to use flats . Cheers

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

yes

ddmonkey

Yep. Makes you jump properly and easier to bail if it goes wrong. Plus its just more fun for mucking about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mafiafish
    Free Member

Yep learn on flats to get technique down.

Eccles
    Free Member

Not if you intend to ride SPDs the rest of the time and can't ride flats for toffee.

If you CAN ride flats then yes, for the reasons stated above. If you can't then why bother, if you're just looking at typical traily type jumps? It just means that you'll have another load of buttclench fear moments when you get back into SPDs.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The big advantage of flats for most people is the gain in confidence when learning new stuff, around 50% of the people I train who arrive clipped in leave on flats. However, if you've always run clips and go to flats the feeling of not being quite as connected to the bike could have the opposite effect.

Good technique is good technique regardless of pedals but there is an argument that clips may allow you to be a little sloppy with certain aspects … so if you can master stuff on flats it will transfer over when you're clipped in but perhaps not always the other wat round.

BTW I run flats and consider clips to be the work of the devil so perhaps I'm a little biased 😉

Stuart

glenp
    Free Member

The technique is exactly the same, so I would go with what you intend to use.

I'd also encourage anyone to not do flats for the "easier to get a foot down" reason – commitment is very important and priming yourself to abruptly cease committing is a bad idea. Better to learn progressively by starting small and learning the components within the technique before you put it all together.

firestarter
    Free Member

not sure tbh i was thinking of leaving flats on my ht (tho ive not used them for years) i thought as im trying more tech riding it may be better to stick flats on and keep them on. Dunno tho 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

yes. and once they are on, lob your spds in the bin. or on your road bike.

tonto
    Free Member

I've used spuds for years but recently got a gnarly bike and am trying to develop my jumping/drops technique.
    When I first tried getting modest air with flats it felt all wrong and pretty scary. with persistance and repitition I am finding it a lot better and I feel that I am smoother with flats. Sill a long way to go though.
    One advantage of flats is that, if you see a jump/drop that you want to "session" it is easier to mount up and get up to speed. I found that when walking back up a section of trail with spuds I would regularly be approaching the jump not 100% sure I was clipped in properly due to clart in the clips.I

ddmonkey

glenp I find I am able to commit to corners and get the bike drifting much better riding flats, in the knowlege that it can easily be caught with a dab. SPD's would hold me back. Just what I'm use to though.

J0N
    Free Member

I ride mainly SPD's after many years on flats and while my technique for manuals (not that I could ever properly do them) and hops has suffered I can get back to a reasonable standard after a couple of rides. Flats will allow you to abandon the bike if all is going wrong and this may give you the confidence to try bigger obstacles.
    I wouldn't say they are better, but they could be safer.

glenp
    Free Member

ddmonkey Double edged benefit/drawback though – a lot of people carry the reassurance of being able to dab too far to the front of their mind and just end up dabbing instead of learning. Which is why I strongly prefer learning progressively and avoiding the temptation to dab.

Besides, dabbing in a corner is mostly harmless, whereas panic trying to put your foot down in a lot of other situations is basically having a crash. Stopping should be done positively and properly, not in a fluster of trying to get off before you've stopped!

thomthumb
    Free Member

being able to rode both will make you a better all round rider.

I rode flats for years – moved to spds – lost a lot of technique- tried flats was amazed how it'd all changed so quick – now ride both and definately better for it.

try flats for a couple of rides before you start jumping – otherwise it will be scary!

some of my mates don't seem to lose the skill quite so much as i did (probably less miles) move between the two fine with year+ breaks.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bloody hell glenp don't open up the can of worms that is stopping 😉 it'll just lead us onto proper braking technique then we'll be here all day.

Stuart

glenp
    Free Member

I'm so wary of the STW can of worms that I'm outa here already! My passing shot – its nearly always much easier to finish riding the section than to bin it.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

So true

glenp
    Free Member

Agreement breaks out! Don't worry, someone will come along and contradict very soon!

Oh yea – I said I was off. Here I go.

ddmonkey

I was working on the assumption that riding the bike rather than trying to walk with it between your legs was the favoured scenario! 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I dont know if flats wuld have helped MTB crash guy

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/top-5-cycling-videos-on-youtube-25042

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've spent a long time on spuds and straps, I can drop no problem on spuds and have no real qualms with crashing with them on, yet they really seriously hamper my jumping I think. Combined with my trials past I tend to either rely on the spuds to bring the bike with me (from past with SPDs), or rely on being able to bail out at the first thought that I might need to (from trials, 6ft drops to flat take a lot of building up to and practice, including lots of bailing as there's no "controlled stop" option).

I think my problem is trying to mix all of them in the wrong combinations. I think I'm going to venture back to flats for a while to try to nail jumping, once I've nailed the feel I'll be able to replicate it on spuds no problem, but until then I rely on the ability to huck up a foot or so by pulling the bike behind me (a combination of trials on flats and spuds), which I'm lead to believe is not helpful in jumps.

glenp
    Free Member

I know I said I'd leave it, but do just want to say that jumping (ie with a take-off ramp) does not involve pulling up in any way. Quite the opposite as far as feet are concerned. So the technique is quite literally identical.

The mental side of it might take you differently according to pedal type, although if you are progressive and systematic it shouldn't.

Hopping (not jumping, different) can get confused if you have spds, although personally I don't see why that is such a problem practically speaking.

tracknicko
    Free Member

need to pull your feet up for this kinda malarkey mind.

might be a bit more advanced.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I moved over to Flats from SPD's purley for confidence reasons, I found I was nervous when approach more steep technical terrain and was concentrating more on the [/i]what if I come off while clipped in aspect So when I switched to flats that element was removed and my cofidence has soared. I am attempting more small jumps & drop offs, however seriously thinking about attending a skills to get jumps & drops nailed also increase my flow & speed.

cookeaa

If you will normally be riding with SPDs then learn with SPDs, what’s the point of learning to get the wheels off the ground if once you’ve learned you put your normal pedals back on and come over all “show pony” again?

I ride both but found I had to re-learn getting airborne with clips a bit you might as well learn to ride properly with the kit you will actually use…

firestarter
    Free Member

i think my main problem at the min has been when practising tricky steep stuff its taken my two yards to clip in and sometimes your over the edge before you in. Not a problem in normal rides but when you doin little bits over and over its a pain:-) may try flats out of ease of use as ive a jump spot ten mins ride from the house and could just wear trainers rather than spd shoes when i want to go play . Cheers all

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My 2p worth as a not terribly good rider. I couldn't learn to bunny hop / jump properly until I tried to learn on flats – cos the spds meant that I could still lift the back of the bike with poor technique.

I would go to flats for learning purely to get the foot position / balance right then go back to spds for normal riding.

I just fail to understand the folk who say you cannot dab with spds – I have never had this as an issue. I can get my foot off the pedals as quickly as off a flat pedal

I would use shin pads tho if you are used to the security of spds – flats make a huge mess of your shins

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know I said I'd leave it, but do just want to say that jumping (ie with a take-off ramp) does not involve pulling up in any way. Quite the opposite as far as feet are concerned. So the technique is quite literally identical.

Yes, I am willing to accept that (as per the other thread) but for me being clipped in just makes me want to pull up, almost automatically. On flats I tend to keep clear of pulling up as it requires setting up like a bunnyhop, which takes more thought, and so I tend to float over jumps a bit easier. I'm ganna be changing back to flats for a few rides and see if I can improve my air by following your advice glen, I'll go back to spuds once I've got past the initial ingrained pull urge.

I just fail to understand the folk who say you cannot dab with spds – I have never had this as an issue. I can get my foot off the pedals as quickly as off a flat pedal

I like my spuds done up TIGHT, I've had too many false-releases in the alps and crashed off into bushes – I must have wayward legs or something. I can dab, but it takes conscious effort and time that it doesn;t with flats.

firestarter
    Free Member

my shins are cut to bits at the min from my crank bros mallets already lol i also have a nice triple ring set of scabs on the back of my right leg 🙁

cookeaa

That’ll be because Mallets are total gash

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

after 15 years of only riding spds (and a broken knee as a result of not clipping out in a crash in morzine 🙄 ) I am trying to learn flatties. I happily ride woodwork, drops and gaps with spds, but I am a total novice wuss on flats.

Whether flatty technique is "true", "better" or just "different" is a hoary argument, but confidence wise I am happier with spds. If much of your mind is taken up with "oh I might not clip out!" then you might be better off with flats.

My first day on flats, on the baby ladder drop at chicksands. If you look carefully you will see

1) the pedals "falling" away from my feet
    2) me mouthing "oh sh1t".

me dissing MC's photoskills on a swinley jump

Ed-O
    Free Member

Flats will make you relax your legs because if you don't you're screwed!

Give them a go Mick, but build your confidence in them by getting used to them gradually. There will be lots to re-learn.

I'll be asking people on the Flow and Black Magic courses to bring flats for part of the day.

firestarter
    Free Member

will do ed thanks for the warning too lol 🙂

Mugboo

The only place flats give me confidence is on woodwork.

If i'm dropping stuff i want to be securely attached!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘so learning to do jumps drop offs etc are flats better’ is closed to new replies.