Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • So labour 9 points ahead in the polls….
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ones who didnt go to a fee paying school,

who had never experienced being short of money,

ones who actually had a job that was seen as worthwhile to other people around them,

ones that had to use public transport, and understood what a bus was,

someone who had been made redundant from a job,

someone who had to claim benefits to keep the roof over his head and to buy food,

someone who had relatives in a care home and had been ripped off by uncaring private care home companies.

and someone who had experience of life from the working class side of the fence.

Looks like project is voting for me seeing as I meet all the criteria
    😀

convert

I’d love to have a minimum age limit for politicians – say 45 or 50. No one can hang around on their arses to that age so must go about making a living in some way. We would have a houses of parliament full of ex business people, military, scientists, engineers etc etc. People who have lived a life. And no full career politicians – what’s not to like?

project
    Free Member

Gwelio, you can afford to send your children to a fee apying school , because you obviously have a well paid job that allows you to earn quite good money.

What happens if you lose that job……….

Back to the general schooling most of us had for them i suppose.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’m hoping that the rush of kids into private education will allow the state schools to start doing a better job with more money per head for fewer students. Poor levels of state education is a funding problem, isn’t it?

Gweilo
    Free Member

project – Member

What happens if you lose that job……….

Back to the general schooling most of us had for them i suppose.

that is exactly the case and to use an old phrase “there but for the grace of god go i”

and for the record I’m from a working class background and grew up in a flat on a council estate in West London. No silver spoons and old money here. And bugger all money after the fees lol

Gweilo
    Free Member

[/quote]Poor levels of state education is a funding problem, isn’t it?

Some of its funding, some of its assorted forms of selection be that 11+ or by parents playing the system and thereby taking resources away form schools they would otherwise have got. And the worst of it is political interference and meaningless league tables.

Yes I know I’m guilty of playing the system, but wouldn’t you?

druidh
    Free Member

Is it Labours turn already?

You do know that the Labour and Tory parties are simply operating a good cop/bad cop scam on you, don’t you? The Tories are obviously the “baddies” in this instance. They implement all the nasty policies while the Labour party stand on the sidelines whinging. After a while, they “pop out for a coffee” and in come Labour, talking all friendly and pally but not actually undoing anything the Tories did. They are both complicit in this – it’s to give the electorate the impression that they actually have a say in how the country is run via the ballot box and both parties need each other to survive.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You do know that the Labour and Tory parties are simply operating a good cop/bad cop scam on you, don’t you? The Tories are obviously the “baddies” in this instance. They implement all the nasty policies while the Labour party stand on the sidelines whinging. After a while, they “pop out for a coffee” and in come Labour, talking all friendly and pally but not actually undoing anything the Tories did. They are both complicit in this – it’s to give the electorate the impression that they actually have a say in how the country is run via the ballot box and both parties need each other to survive.

Cannot agree more

Garry_Lager

Some of its funding, some of its assorted forms of selection be that 11+ or by parents playing the system and thereby taking resources away form schools they would otherwise have got. And the worst of it is political interference and meaningless league tables.

Yes I know I’m guilty of playing the system, but wouldn’t you? How are you playing the system by sending your kids to private school? It’s not like you’ve gone for a tactical baptism, you’re just making a simple choice to pay for their education. That’s the opposite of playing the system – you’re shelling out fees out the bazoo for results you’ll have to convince yourself are worth it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s so much I’ll never forgive the last Labour government for, not least the nasty habit they had of blatantly attempting to mislead the public on several occasions, most notably about WMD in Iraq. I voted for them once and will never, ever do so again.

That said, I’ve never voted Tory…it would feel completely wrong somehow, like selling your own grandmother. I don’t trust them and really don’t want them in power at all.

What we really need is something new, a party that isn’t so mired in it’s own dogma that it cannot even begin to make sensible policy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes I know I’m guilty of playing the system, but wouldn’t you?

NO
    What Druidh said

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Can you really envisage any other system than the one we have now, if we did find a political party that could bring in economical stability and create the fair and equal society we all want, would we then end up with a one party state?

We all know what happens to them !

PJM1974
    Free Member

Our system is deeply flawed though. We’re onto the second generation of career politicians with no real world experience, Westminster life cocoons them from it. Both parties are victims of their own dogma to the point that they’ll foist a counter intuitive policy on the public rather than just doing the sensible thing in the first place.

Moreover, to win an election, you only have to appear to be slightly less rubbish than the incumbents. The public readily accept that pre-election pledges will be reneged on, there’s no binding way of forcing parties to stick to their promises.

Competition in politics is good, but there isn’t enough of it. We’ve allowed two parties to dominate and in doing so they’ve both stagnated beyond usefulness.

nick1962
    Free Member

“Capitalism is a system in which the central institutions of society are, in principle, under autocratic control. Thus, a corporation or an industry is, if we were to think of it in political terms, fascist, that is, it has tight control at the top and strict obedience has to be established at every level… Just as I’m opposed to political fascism, I am opposed to economic fascism. I think that until the major institutions of society are under the popular control of participants and communities, it’s pointless to talk about democracy”.
    Noam Chomsky

El-bent
    Free Member

And you’re right its not a fair fight but what in the real world is?

I believe that education should be a level playing field, then we will see who’s best. But no one wants a fair fight, least of all those who can pay for it. I mean, how else are going you get someone with a history degree running the treasury?

Can you really envisage any other system than the one we have now, if we did find a political party that could bring in economical stability and create the fair and equal society we all want, would we then end up with a one party state?

Or the possibility that other parties would have to clean up their act to compete. At the moment we have political parties who no doubt take the view that the public knows their all lying toe rags. They don’t have to live up to much then.

Or you could get the other parties doing the complete opposite. Bit like the GOP and the democrats in the US. They seem to be trying to garner votes for completely different people. Two nations in one state.

loum
    Free Member

druidh – Member

+1
    The illusion should have been blown by the formation of “the coalition”, between a party to to the right of Labour and a party to the left of Labour. Anything to maintain the charade.
    The natural allies in a coalition should surely have been Labour in the middle and one of these other two next to them , not the parties furthest apart politically from their manifestos. And due to their results it had to be the Conservatives.
    So, a Labour-Conservative coalition?
    But even the sheep would have noticed, so we end up with this. An even more contrived charade.

It’s pantomime politics, at best.

brooess
    Free Member

Can’t believe it’s only 9 points.
    Pretty poor show given the situation!

1-shed
    Free Member

My fear is Boris, god forbid the evil this man could bring.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The system is flawed in many ways.

However as Labour’s only policy to date seems to be “We wouldn’t have done/cut/changed that” then it will probably get a lot closer nearer the time.

It was well forecast that whoever won the last election would loose the following one as the amount of cuts etc was inevitable. Perhaps from a Labour perspective a good one to loose – like the good cop bad cop routine above.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I like the way everyone seems to blame politicians for the politicians we have and never the electorate who actually chooses them.

Opinion polls repeatedly suggest that the Tories would do considerably better in an election if David Cameron was replaced by Boris Johnson. This isn’t because Boris Johnson has “better policies” than David Cameron, in fact I doubt very much whether many people can differentiate between the policies of the two.

It is quite simply because Boris Johnson is seen by many as a bumbling clown with unkempt hair who amuses them in a way that David Cameron doesn’t. Nothing else.

If the Tories replace David Cameron with Boris Johnson and win the next general election I will blame the electorate for the fact that Britain is governed by a clown, not the Tory Party.

Competition in politics is good, but there isn’t enough of it.

On the contrary, competition is bad in politics – that’s why all three main parties sing from the same hymn sheet. To depart from it and offer a radical alternative would spell political suicide – the electorate simply would not stand for it.

All three parties carefully study what the electorate want and offer them precisely that. What they are in effect doing is marketing a product, one which is carefully honed to ensure the maximum return/votes.

1-shed
    Free Member

Forget policies they don’t matter too most people, if Boris said I’ll be PM I think he would get in?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

There’s many a slip twixt cup and lip…

I expect that as the coalition unravels the Tories will shift still further to the right with a very nasty, vindictive, but populist manifesto. It worked for Hitler… And as the election looms Miliband will have to come out with some policies.Then watch the fun start…

loum
    Free Member

I like the way everyone seems to blame politicians for the politicians we have and never the electorate who actually chooses them.

Glad you like it. You may have had a point last term.
    But for those that voted LD as the only significant option to the left of New Labour, there’s a right to feel cheated when finding them “in bed with the enemy”.
    And for those who voted Labour hoping that they would stay in power, there’s also a right to feel cheated by them not working hard enough to make a coalition government with their natural bedfellows, the Conservatives. It’s almost as if they wanted to form the opposition more, to maintain the charade.

Markie
    Free Member

How are you playing the system by sending your kids to private school? It’s not like you’ve gone for a tactical baptism, you’re just making a simple choice to pay for their education. That’s the opposite of playing the system – you’re shelling out fees out the bazoo for results you’ll have to convince yourself are worth it.

You’re also helping support the system. You pay private school fees, but also your general taxation, a portion of which goes to support state schools. By going private you are increasing the amount of money available per head for state school pupils.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It can be argued that by supporting private schools that you are helping to perpetuate the elitist system by not compelling the elite to educate their children within the state system and so have an interest in making the state system as good as it can be rather than opting out of it.

Markie
    Free Member

It can be argued that by supporting private schools that you are helping to perpetuate the elitist system by not compelling the elite to educate their children within the state system and so have an interest in making the state system as good as it can be rather than opting out of it.

That too. I’m sure there’s a balance to be found somewhere…

loum
    Free Member

EL
    Intended to edit the post above but timed out.
    You do have point, but IMO, less so than in a usual government term. Nobody actually voted for this Condem coalition, and for many it’s not what they would have expected from the candidates they voted for with their manifestos before the election.

loum
    Free Member

Forget policies they don’t matter too most people, if Boris said I’ll be PM I think he would get in?

This Boris below. People have short memories of how vicious and nasty this “buffoon” can be.
    It’s been posted on another thread, but it’s worth showing again to remember the sort of person that was still working to maintain the deceit 15 years after the tragedy.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

He said much the same about Portsmouth once. I think he knows better than to visit.

Remember that no matter how nice they appear sometimes, they are still nasty b’stards.

druidh
    Free Member

loum – why don’t you also re-publish the apology that Boris Johnson made after this? Just to keep the record straight, obviously.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Sorry. The most over-used and rarely meant word.

kimbers

its ok borris said ‘sorry’ for his vitriolic and nasty rant against those frightful northerners

his statement was based on lies, that were known to be lies even then. As a journalist and a politician youd think he might have actually looked at the facts before writing something so offensive

ohnohesback
    Free Member

He’s a politician. They don’t let little things like facts get in the way of a good bashing of the working or formerly working classes…

mefty
    Free Member

his statement was based on lies, that were known to be lies even then. As a journalist and a politician youd think he might have actually looked at the facts before writing something so offensive

He didn’t write it – although he did sign it off and therefore took responsibility for it.

kelvin

Agree with druidh. Sadly.

Labour have already said that they won’t reverse any of the spending cuts, despite being “against them”.

loum
    Free Member

druidh
    It didn’t alter the fact that Borris had written this vicious attack, using “facts” he knew to be untrue. He blamed “drunken fans” when he knew this was wrong. It was 15 years after the tragedy, yet he was still abusing his position of power as a top media editor in attempting to peddle lies, despite the results of the investigations. He was rightfully caught, and pulled up on this and forced to apologise. But he did nothing to atone for it. If he had any sincerity, he would not have needed to be told to apologise, he would have done it off his own back. In fact he would not have been writing those lies to start with. It’s right not to forget what he said: he may have apologised but that doesn’t mean his attack should be forgotten.

“First of all, on what the mayor of London or others have said, I think this report is important because, as I have said, people right across the country, whether they are in positions of power and influence or not, this now is the proper explanation of what happened and people who thought it was something else need to come to their senses and realise this is what happened.”

David Cameron

El-bent
    Free Member

I don’t think he will. London Mayor, yes, that’s because Londoners don’t view this job as important, so they can have a “clown” as mayor, Leader of the country is something else.

Labour have already said that they won’t reverse any of the spending cuts, despite being “against them”.

Cuts are inevitable, Labour have said they would slow them down. With the latest employment figures out, And with Wales and Scotland showing rises in unemployment, I wonder how many of them were part of the 39,000 or so public sector jobs lost in the last three months?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

“we can run capitalism better than them”– interchangeable party slogan for the politrickcians

binners

Boris for PM? 😯

You are aware that this would involve people outside the south east actually voting for him? Can you seriously see this happening? To the rest of the country he’s just the jester at the court of Dave

kimbers

he also only just scraped in as mayor (by 3.5%) against a deeply unpopular ken and he had all the free london papers and tabloids behind him

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘So labour 9 points ahead in the polls….’ is closed to new replies.