• This topic has 281 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 282 total)
  • So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anybody want to buy one of my kidneys?
    Thats one fantastic bike. Seriously seriously nice. And I want one.

I’m very short. VERY short in the wheelbase. It steers quickly and feels pretty squirty up the hill outside the shop here. (I just built our demo bike up)
    The very highest compliment I can give it is that it doesn’t feel like a 29er, let alone 29+….. It feels closer to a 26 to my mind.
    Did I say I want one?

z1ppy

aint it s 27+?

[EDIT] … my mistake I’d thought it was, especially with all this years 27+ love.. I’m actually shocked, that the stache is 29+, had thought that petered out

sharkattack

One of these big ugly things?

wwaswas

I’m very short. VERY short in the wheelbase.

It’s what you do with it that counts Peter. Probably.

bonesetter
    Free Member

When are your Stache 5’s coming in??

fd3chris
    Free Member

I saw a 7 in the local trek store and it looked lovely in purple. Almost a bargain at £1800………

daver27
    Free Member

looks like a clowns bike in that pic.

Del

they do both 27+ and 29+ don’t they?
    quite intrigued myself. but it’s a trek. 🙁
    any 27+ in the country?

rOcKeTdOg

aint it s 27+?

It’s 29″ 29+ & 27.5+ no wonder the haterz on here are grinding their teeth.they are also way lighter than they look

boxelder

How many 29ers have you ridden Peter? I’ve been riding various for years, and the Stache felt too 29+ for me. I’ve gone 650B+.
    It did ‘ride light’ though and the forks seemed lovely.

nach
    Free Member

If you’re more into the winch and contouring trails than you are the plummet, I think it’s a great bike. Harsh ride if you’re trying to descend fast on it though.

(I’ve ridden one three times)

DrP

How many 29ers have you ridden Peter?

That’s like asking the Amish how many iPads they’ve used… 😉

DrP

Del

harsh compared to?
    genuinely interested – i ride a chameleon.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Damn you PeterPoddy! You are supposed to tell us what a waste of money they are!! I’m looking at these as a possible replacement for my 29+ fronted Karate Monkey. You haven’t by chance ridden a Jones+ too have you? Failing that are there any 6ftish Jones+ or Stache riders that don’t mind me having a go on their bikes in return for cake/beer….

nach
    Free Member

Harsher than the steel hardtail I usually ride. I expected the tyres to make it feel similar in that respect, but even with them soft it shakes me around quite a bit, and felt quite sluggish changing lines at speed or getting up onto little wall rides. I’m not a particularly rad or capable rider, but it felt like I was asking the bike to do stuff it wasn’t really designed for, i.e. it’s a decent bike but not suited to my riding. In terms of grip, probably doesn’t help that it has California-spec tyres 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

I’m struck by the resemblance with this …. 😉

Denis99
    Free Member

I have had one for about 4 months now.

Can’t agree about it harsh on the descents. I also have a Trek FUEL 9.8 650b full suspension bike.
    The Fuel does feel more comfortable, but on all the local Afan descents , the Stache 9 is my fastest bike consistently (I’m no hero by the way).

But it is quicker downhill for me.

Climbing is in the more touring mode of sitting back and enjoying the climb, and occasionally it can be a little awkward.

Nevertheless, I like it a lot. Forks are ace.

10psi front, 12 psi rear , comfy enough .

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How many 29ers have you ridden Peter?

Lots. Probably more than everyone on this thread put together and doubled. Generally I don’t like them. But never say never. 🙂

It’s 29″ 29+ & 27.5+ no wonder the haterz on here are grinding their teeth.they are also way

Yup.
    Adjustable back end fits anything really.
    They all come 29×3.0 though.
    Yes it is light and it rides lighter.

Bonesetter – 15.5in and 17.5in are in stock with Trek now. Other sizes first half of November.

bikeneil
    Free Member

bably more than everyone on this thread put together and doubled. Generally I don’t like them. But never say never.

What is it that you don’t like about them?

timbur
    Free Member

Trusty-get hold of Biff. He has two Jones+ for demos. One’s gone away for a few days demo but it’ll be back soon. The more normal one should be available which is good for 6’2/3″.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What is it that you don’t like about them?

Lots of things, depending on the bike. Treks generally don’t fit me. Too short for the stand over, for instance. But generally they just feel a bit sluggish. The bars are generally too low for me too. Not always but mostly.
    Now, remember, I’ve been riding a looooong time, on and off, and to this day I’ve never found a bike I like more than a 91-95 steel Kona. I love the quick handling and the immediacy of them. Think about a corner and you’re round it. Fast verging on twitchy. That’s how I like it. A longer slacker bike is great downhill (like my Pitch) and bigger wheels might well be ‘faster’…. But I’m no racer. I don’t really care about what’s better, just what I find fun. It took me a long while (10 rides +) to ‘get’ my fat bike and I still find it quite hard work, but it raises a smile and cost me buttons so that’s fine.
    I’ll never ditch 26in totally but that Stache is quite some bike.
    4 of us have ridden it today. 3 of us want one. It is that good.

helpful1
    Free Member

Other than the (relatively new at the time) sloping TT. Steel Konas from 81-95 were fairly unremarkable bikes in almost every way. (yes. I have owned and ridden quite a few)

As far as I can work out Plus tyres seem to be for riders who never get dynamic on their bikes. You know, folk who just sit there pedalling away and control direction with their arms instead of using their entire body.

Glad 3 of you managed to find each other though. That must’ve been emotional.

singletrackmind

As far as I can work out Plus tyres seem to be for riders who never get dynamic on their bikes. You know, folk who just sit there pedalling away and control direction with their arms instead of using their entire body.

I can verify that PeterP is not one of those. He knows his onions and what he likes and what he doesnt like.

helpful1
    Free Member

Complete stranger rides ugly new bicycle up a hill outside his work.
    posts on the internet that it’s amazeballs.
    His mate verifies stranger knows about onions.
    Well I for one am sold.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I rode one up a hill, it was slowish. They must be rubbish. The person that had hired it was glad to be on my bike instead.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Looks effing ace to me 😀

[/quote]As far as I can work out Plus tyres seem to be for riders who never get dynamic on their bikes. You know, folk who just sit there pedalling away and control direction with their arms instead of using their entire body.

No

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Well I for one am sold.

While another complete stranger, who hasn’t even ridden said bike, deduces it must be rubbish because he’s decided he doesn’t like the tyre size.

helpful1
    Free Member

followed up shortly by another stranger to make even more unfounded assumptions.

the plot thickens.

Quite a dull read but it’s still early days yet.

maxray
    Free Member

Helpful1 defying his username 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Quite the opposite in my experience, particularly if you’re on a fully rigid 29+.

zippykona

I like it. Til recently we were falling into the sports motorcycle trap where all the bikes looked and performed the same.
    At least we are getting some variety now. Different is good.

Denis99
    Free Member

Well I have owned and ridden mine for the last 4 months, so I suppose I must have a good idea.

The forks are ace.
    XT brakes – spot on
    Sram 1 x 11 – works very well.
    Frame design is good, Trek just didn’t throw a pair of 29+ wheels and tyres on an existing bike, they redesigned it.
    Bottom bracket wasn’t great – now replaced with a Chris King.

Climbing, probably won’t get you KOM on Strava although I’m sure some riders will go much faster than me uphill, but I’m not a racer.
    Very comfortable for a hardtail, just need to go tubeless to allow the very low pressures from the wide rims and big tyres.
    Trail and downhill , very good, confident, loads of front end grip.

Its a good if not very good trail bike.

I like it alot, there are loads of good bikes out there, but this one suits me down to the ground.

Ultimately a number of factors influence your opinions on any bike.
    What you want from a bike.
    How you ride.
    Where you ride etc.

Regards

Denis

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

helpful1 – Member
    Well I for one am sold.

POSTED 4 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST
    stevenmenmuir – Member
    I rode one up a hill, it was slowish. They must be rubbish. The person that had hired it was glad to be on my bike instead.

Someone who shall remain nameless but, err, manufactures and designs bike parts at the very least came in and looked at said Satche
    He picked it to bits on sight. It was all wrong apparently.
    So we got him to ride it and he was amazed too, so he wants one. You gotta ride it. It’s not what you expect.

Not me riding but this is the actual bike I PDId and rode, the day after I posted this thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/EastStCycles/photos/pcb.906281742773871/906181322783913/?type=3&theater

I can verify that PeterP is not one of those. He knows his onions and what he likes and what he doesnt like.

Thanks for the compliment 🙂
    I’m not one that pores over geometry sheets and dismisses or raves about a bike based on the head angle. Tbh I couldn’t tell you what most of the numbers are on any of my bikes. I just ride ’em. If I like them I buy one. Too many people put too much thought into bikes IMO, forming opinions based on brand a couple of numbers or what rear mech is dangling off it.

helpful1
    Free Member

a tweaked turnbar? 😯

UR BIK MUS B AWESUM.

ajantom

Hmmm, stereotype much?

yunki
    Free Member

Heh… 🙂

Who is helpful1 and have they ever been humiliated by a trek, a 29er or PP??

I’m gonna put teh kettle on, I’ve got some double choc chip chick pea and quinoa cookies in the kitchen that have almost cooled down enough to eat

jamj1974

steel Konas from 81-95 were fairly unremarkable bikes in almost every way. (yes. I have owned and ridden quite a few)

Heresy! Honest question though. If you were not convinced, why own more than one…?

takisawa2

29+(F ) / b+ (R) here.
    It’s a right laugh.

helpful1
    Free Member

1. it was ’81-95.
    2. I’ve owned over 150 bikes since then and ridden thousands. lots were unremarkable.

sorry if this upsets you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So. Anyway. I’ve bought a Stache 9. I’ll ride the long off-road route to work in the morning I think!
    I’ve never had a Trek mountain bike before. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 282 total)

The topic ‘So. I've just ridden a Trek Stache….’ is closed to new replies.