Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So I’ve got this iPad and I have questions
  • Premier Icon midlifecrashes

1. There’s a big bar across the bottom of the screen, it often strikes through a line of text, or video captions, or just gets in the way of a pic I have full screen. How do I get rid? I can see the bar is a handy reminder to swipe up in place of a home button, but I’ve had it a few days and don’t need a reminder now.

2. How do I get Firefox to not record history, and to clear cookies etc on quitting. I found the settings on Android, but can’t find them on this.

Premier Icon Kelliesheros
    Free Member

1. I assume u have an iPad without a home button. I don’t think you can remove it. At least I can’t find a way on my phone. Edit: google remove Home bar. Apparently you can do it via accessibility functions but it is per app process and seems more faff than u need.

2. Go into settings and look for Firefox. Although I don’t think that is likely. You may need to download Firefox focus which is a privacy based version which does what you want by default.

Premier Icon pictonroad

Can I join in the ipad questions?

I’ve finally taken the plunge on an ipad air, would love an apple pencil but they’re very expensive. Has anyone tried the alternatives manufacturer’s versions? Is the proper one worth saving up for?

Premier Icon rossburton

Re (2), if you mean Safari, then you can just switch to Private mode and leave it in private mode.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Is the proper one worth saving up for?

I haven’t tried a cheapo one but the Apple ones work very well. If I lost mine I’d go right out and buy another (having checked behind the sofa etc.)

Premier Icon Cougar

How do I get Firefox to not record history, and to clear cookies etc on quitting.

Re (2), if you mean Safari, then you can just switch to Private mode and leave it in private mode.

3. STW keeps logging me out, why hasn’t this been fixed yet?

Premier Icon simon_g

Logitech Crayon is meant to be good – designed for schools but good for writing and basic drawing. Lacks some of the pressure sensitivity of the Apple one though, won’t charge on the side and no cases are designed for it either.

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

for pencils, I found putting a matt screen protector on creates a bit of friction, and a more paper-like writing experience than sliding around on shiny glass does

Premier Icon stevious

for pencils, I found putting a matt screen protector on creates a bit of friction, and a more paper-like writing experience than sliding around on shiny glass does

Same.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

yeah but… I paid big money for a beautiful screen so I’m not gonna cover it with plastic. However I have been using little rubber tips for the pencil to give a better feel.

Premier Icon Sandwich

STM Dux plus will hold a Logitech Crayon by design.

Premier Icon slowol
    Free Member

As far as I can fathom the logging you out thing is an apple ‘feature’. Windows and Android don’t do it, iPad does. You pay the extra money to help you remember your passwords by using them more regularly, like every time you change browser tab.

For the OP, on Firefox on my very old iPad mini there is a symbol in the top left corner that looks like an eye mask. When I touch this it switches to private browsing mode which deletes all history etc. when you close the app totally (ie kill it rather than just swap to something else for a while). No idea whether this will work with a shiny new one without a home button.

Premier Icon pictonroad

Cheers for the advice. Found a refurbished logitech crayon for £37 on Amazon. Much more palatable than £110 for the apple.

Premier Icon Sandwich

You could also use Brave which makes some websites interesting due to privacy issues.

Premier Icon chrismac

Re the pencil

i tried a couple including the Logitech and didn’t get on with them so bought the apple version which works very well. I would second the comments about a Matt slightly textured screen protector to improve the handwriting feel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.