Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • So I’ve got this Brooks and I have questions…
  • abingham

It’s the just one question actually.

I recently bought a Brooks Swift for my fixed gear/gravel/mudguard-ed/winter wonder bike. I’ve had a Brooks before but never cared enough about it to be concerned about treating it right, but this one is a good deal nicer and I’d like it to last.

So, while I don’t have Proofhide in the garage, I do have a tin of Barbour Thornproof Wax coating for my jacket. Will this do basically the same thing as Proofhide for my Brooks or do I need the proper stuff to keep it going well for years to come?

tofu21

When I unwillingly ended up with a Brooks when I got my Brompton, I got some of the proper Proofhide stuff.

My thinking that it’s an expensive, temperamental saddle so it was worth splashing the cash.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Proofide is inexpensive, lasts ages, and I wouldn’t worry for the first 6 months or so unless it is excessively dry underneath then feed it some. It’s easy to obsess over leather saddles but needn’t be that way. I have a Team Pro Special these last three years and have done nothing so far except for use a raincover when it’s raining/left out. It looks like new. I might actually give it a little feed this weekend now you’ve reminded me 😎

Olly
    Free Member

send it back and get a Brooks Cambium?

My B17 was getting trashed on my tourer, as it was getting wet and muddy. C17 is more comfortable i reckon, looks smart and i dont worry about it.

tall_martin

I used some face cream/ wax my wife had been given. She wasn’t keen on a waxy face cream, unsurprisingly!

It was fine.

I think I’ve gone through 5 tins of proof hide. I’m up to 3 brooks saddles now and have had one for 30 years, the second for 12 and the third is a year old.

abingham

Good to know @tall_martin, I’ve already tried the Barbour wax on an inconspicuous spot with no negative effects so I can’t imagine it doing any harm anyway. Both the Barbour wax and Proofide seem to have the same objectives (i.e. protect and waterproof), what could possibly go wrong!

Maybe I’ll do my coats with Proofide next, just to stick it to the man and all that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘So I’ve got this Brooks and I have questions…’ is closed to new replies.