• This topic has 32 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by akira.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So I’ve entered an enduro…
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

…and I’ve realised I have actually go no idea what kit I will need. I have a rough idea that you need standard “stay alive” basics but anything over and above that is a mystery. Also, what the hell is gravel bike when it’s at home? Is it basically a cyclocross bike with bigger tyre clearances?

I’m so screwed.

Garry_Lager

Are you doing one of those timed-stage gravel races – what event is it?

Been a while since I did a (DH) enduro but the transition cut-offs were just nominal – you could have wheeled your bike between stages, don’t know if this has changed much. In an XC event maybe they’ll want you to get more of a wiggle on.

andybrad

is it enduro or endurance?

w00dster

Are you racing enduro on a gravel bike?!!! Think there may be some confusion in what you’ve entered, what race is it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a few times gravel enduros about w00dster,  no confusion, the confusion is why anyone would want to do it 😉🤣

Grinduro Squirrelking?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nah, Naughty Northumbrian, I mistakenly thought the Naughty Frontier sportive was included. As it’s not then I don’t have to worry about the gravel aspect (unless I really feel masochistic when it opens).

I know bugger all about racing outside of DH but thought the transitions were a nominal pedal section, if I can push that’s probably for the best as I’m entered for hardtail.

benpinnick

Naughty Northumbrian is cool. Not too gnar but decent singletrack and wild riding.

HT will be fine, all you need is what you;d normally carry to get yourself out of trouble on a big ride + maybe a change of tyres. It can be proper grim up here when it wants to be and if it is then the faily fresh style tracks NN uses can get chewed up pretty quick.

Should be great though, I need to get my entry in I guess….

Kahurangi

Lots of folks when racing an enduro will carry nothing but a gel and their goggles. When they get a puncture, f*ck them, they chose to go fast and light, keep begging matey!

the NN organisers will send you a minimum kit list closer to the time, with crazy essentials like waterproof, spare tube and water.

Basically you’ll want to to take everything you would for an ordinary 40 km loop away from the car, remove a few non-essentials, then add plus some cash for the pizza guys in the middle of the forest!

If someone is honestly stuck I’d obviously help them out. But far too often I’ll see people riding a race loop without the bare essentials…. gotta say, that’s the choice you made, don’t expect everyone else to be carrying your spares for you!

moonsaballoon

As above just what you feel you need to carry on any normal day out . For me water is the deciding factor between bum bag and pack . Some races have plenty of food stops others have none so I make sure I know I’m going to have enough water to get me round . Spares wise I carry enough to fix a chain , tyre plugs and boots and 2 tubes ( 1 strapped to the frame because it’s enduro:) ) 1 pair of break pads a multi tool , gear cable and a mini pump .

I tend to carry a bit more as I would hate not to finish a race because of a daft mechanical .

A spare pair of gloves is worth taking as well if it’s wet , doesn’t take up much room and feels great to put them on at the top of the last stage .

kayla1
    Free Member

the NN organisers will send you a minimum kit list closer to the time, with crazy essentials like waterproof, spare tube and water.

This, but **** the amount of water off (something stupid like seventeen gallons and THEY WILL BE CHECKING written on the bumf) and just take what’s comfy to carry + whatever spares you’ll need.

w00dster

Is Grinduro classed as an Enduro race, I guess in terms of using the stage format its the same, but I just see Enduro as meaning something else (in terms of gnarr and equipment required)

Simplisticly I thought we had in order of Gnarrr….

Gravel Sportive/Race (Grinduro, Dirty Reiver etc etc)

XC Racing (no drop bars allowed)

Enduro (Full on Gnarr, multiple stages over a couple of days, mainly downhill but with lots of uphill pedalling in between, timed stages predominantly downhill being the race, big bouncy full sus)

DH.

joefm

Water, tube, multi tool, co2/pump, energy bar/gel, phone.  Don’t really need a bag for most races.  Just some pockets and some Velcro.

Only time I’ve used a bag is if the loop is huge and has no feed station.

Dress for the conditions/forecast at the outset.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well, less than 3 weeks to go and my preparation so far has been to order a new seal kit for my forks and give it dirty looks every time I realise it’s not fitted itself. Have a set of Trailblades in the post as a second (stupid) option.

This is going to be interesting.

joemmo
    Free Member

just do the forks the night before – what could go wrong?

I’m also entered in this, have done some prep which I’ll call it ‘training’ but will be relying on carbohydrate and determination to be not-last to get me round. Looking forward to it – sort of

akira

Joemmo don’t steal my thunder by being unprepared and slow. Just got email saying no water or showers in the campsite, hmmmm interesting.

joemmo
    Free Member

Slow I can do, I would say that I am only moderately prepared rather than totally unprepared.
    I wasn’t expecting showers but I thought there might be a tap to refill a water container for brews and a flannel wash.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m confused is it Enduro or Grinduro?

First you need to be in your 40’s (mid life crisis), wear a POC helmet and brightly coloured kit, and definitely no Lycra + be able to handle a beer or two.

Grinduro have a beard

joemmo
    Free Member

Naughty Northumbrian has an enduro and gravel ‘sportive’ but I thought the OP was doing the former.

First you need to be in your 40’s (mid life crisis), wear a POC helmet and brightly coloured kit, and definitely no Lycra + be able to handle a beer or two.

I score 1/5. Not sure what that means for chances of success. Also I don’t have a van nor even a german car.

Phil_H

no water or showers in the campsite, hmmmm interesting.

Dirtworker shower again then😁

akira

Ah the wonder of a bearded man showering you with a dirtworker in a car park….

funkrodent

I’m entered in this barrel of laughs too (enduro option). I’ve done (been done by) the Ard Rock a couple of times, is this comparable in terms of difficulty/intensity? Sunday race stage after 24 hours without a shower should be fun. Chafing. Extra bum butter and baby wipes on order..

tdog
    Free Member

A kilt (seeing as your that kinda way, be rude not to haha)
    and a pressure washer – what’s the worst that can happen?

Phil_H

A kilt (seeing as your that kinda way, be rude not to haha)
    and a pressure washer – what’s the worst that can happen?

In a word MIDGES

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck Squirrelking, not seen you on here for ages.

tdog
    Free Member

Or Midgets!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah I was on a “holiday” along with a few others 😉 are you still going?

Aye it’s the enduro I’m entered into, 10l of water recommended though I may get the bloke with the pressure washer to give me a going over. I have a French MPV which probably doesn’t bode well…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, never booked in, spent all my money on ultras and half marathons with Mrs Nobeer!

Best of luck mate.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You sound too fit and dedicated to take part anyway 😛

Cheers though, I think I’m gonna need it!

akira

Haven’t really trained that much but bought a new helmet and goggles, presumably that should work in lieu of actual riding.

joemmo
    Free Member

@akira make sure you strap all kinds of random shit to your bike as well, it doesn’t matter if it gets dirty or falls off, it just looks totally the thing

akira

I’m already planning what vague technical issue will cause my poor result, think I might go for brake fade as that’s vague enough but can be intermittent so hard to prove I’m fibbing. 😀

Phil_H

“Chain fell off” was the one you used last time😀
    “I fell off” was mine🤣

akira

My chain did fall off and you went down like a sack of potatoes and didn’t move, my time on that section was rubbish 😜

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So I’ve entered an enduro…’ is closed to new replies.