Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • So I've discovered I have an atypical Type A personality…
  • Kryton57

…which perhaps won’t be a surprise to those that know me (Teasel to the forum please).

But I didn’t like what I read, and its actually hit me quite hard. So the $m question: Is it possible to change it?

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t change personality, but you can change your behaviour.
    I’ve been subject to some Disc testing recently. Interesting.

Kryton57

If you read up on the above, one leads to another?

flange
    Free Member

Have you been reading too much Heat magazine?

Stop being so sensitive?

wrecker
    Free Member

If you read up on the above, one leads to another?

But you have a choice on how you behave regardless of your inner workings or so I am informed.

Kryton57

Sure, but that choice is driven by your mentality.

For example, its easy to tell yourself not to be so wound up, but if your a Type A you are easily wound up and I’d expect the self discipline not to react would be harder to achieve than say, a Type B.

flange
    Free Member

Having just had to read on Wiki about what you’re on about

A = Douche
    B = Not a Douche

Stop being a douche?

bearnecessities

..but that would leave an A hole.

Kryton57

You’re interpretation is your own Flange. I think the point is that your personality type is a part of you, perhaps abit like your sense of humour might be.

Its not easy to change.

flange
    Free Member

Ahh but then you could run with the phrase ‘Be more B’ which is something a phone company might use.

The theory describes “Type A” individuals as ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, impatient, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, anxious, proactive, and concerned with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving “workaholics” who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.[4]

That there sounds like someone who is a right pain in the arse.

flange
    Free Member

You’re interpretation is your own Flange. I think the point is that your personality type is a part of you, perhaps abit like your sense of humour might be.

Its not easy to change

Given the above quote (off of Wiki so you know its legit) I’m disappointed in your response and was hoping for something a lot more volatile. You’re A- at best, possibly a B+ (BANG. ON. TREND)

Kryton57

That there sounds like someone who is a right pain in the arse.

If you read on / other articles, they go on to say not all of those properties are displayed all of the time, and many not overtly depending on the individual.

At points in my life and certainly the most recent 10 years I will have displayed all of those. And as I said, I don’t like it. But is doesn’t mean I’d act like like each of those during a pint with you down t’pub (Although I might be thinking, hurry up and finish that waffling FFS!)

Kryton57

Given the above quote (off of Wiki so you know its legit) I’m disappointed in your response and was hoping for something a lot more volatile. You’re A- at best, possibly a B+ (BANG. ON. TREND)

Meh. **** off. I’m bored with this thread already anyway.

Better? 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

For example, its easy to tell yourself not to be so wound up, but if your a Type A you are easily wound up and I’d expect the self discipline not to react would be harder

Isn’t it how you react though? You have a choice of behaviours. Maybe you are currently choosing an undesirable one as you’ve not thought about alternatives. You just need to work out what a desirable behaviour would previously have been and have that choice available to you next time. It’s not really that hard to change the way to react to a situation.

… but then that’s easy for me to say as I’m most definitely not Type A 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Appreciated.

Edukator
    Free Member

You post on a time-wasting Internet discussion forum with a bunch of lazy time-killing Bs. No true A would do that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

For example, its easy to tell yourself not to be so wound up, but if your a Type A you are easily wound up

I’m pretty much type C, but if there’s one thing that at work that makes me snap, it’s a wound up type A 🙂

wwaswas

No true A would do that.

he’s an ‘atypical A’.

Maybe that’s just a type B with pretensions of not giving a shit?

flange
    Free Member

All joking aside I think there’s an inclination in this day and age for people to be far too introspective, questioning who they are, what they are and what they’ve achieved. In an age where every thought and movement can be monitored, reported on and assigned a condition, its not surprising that you feel you can be classed under a ‘Type A’ as oppose to ‘Type B’ – the fact you’re looking at web pages so that you can categorise yourself is an indication of this.

I prefer to live my life like a trolley from Morrisons, with a badly sticking wheel and the possibility that at any moment I may swerve to the left and take out a display of Dog food or sanitary towels. If I was going to assign myself a label I’d go with idiot. Then I have nothing to worry about.

Don’t think too much. No one is scoring you. Think about almost anyone you know and they would probably lump themselves into category A. It’s human nature to do so.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Typical Sagittarius.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try NLP, bit early 2000’s pop physiology but good tools if you can be bothered to apply them.

I shall stand back and wait to be flamed for bringing NLP to the forum.. 😆

Nobby

I’m not sure I can be bothered to respond OP. But, if I do, it’ll be when I feel like it. Or possibly not.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I recommend an enema.

MSP

What flange said, plus it is all a load of shit, people answer questions according to a self fantasy about who they think they are rather than who they really are.

After all, that description of a type A doesn’t seem to include being unable to make a decision without asking on a forum about the most mundane of life’s activities.

flange
    Free Member

that description of a type A doesn’t seem to include being unable to make a decision without asking on a forum about the most mundane of life’s activities.

Paging Renton…

Kryton57

After all, that description of a type A doesn’t seem to include being unable to make a decision without asking on a forum about the most mundane of life’s activities.

Well, I am in a roundabout way asking about which personality I should be 😀

Edukator – Troll
    You post on a time-wasting Internet discussion forum with a bunch of lazy time-killing Bs. No true A would do that.

Unless I’m typing manically whilst also working/watching TV/Reading a book / all of the above.

footflaps

Don’t think too much. No one is scoring you

You sure, I for one am. That post gets 3/10.

bedmaker

What sunglasses for type A? 8)

nickc

I thought all these Pop psychology personality type tests had been shown to be all a bit pants?

How did you find out that you’re Type A? (whatever that means)

wrecker
    Free Member

For example, its easy to tell yourself not to be so wound up, but if your a Type A you are easily wound up and I’d expect the self discipline not to react would be harder to achieve than say, a Type B.

That’s why you do these tests, so you know what your natural response is like and “aim off”. Acting out of type is hard for everyone.

Cougar

All joking aside I think there’s an inclination in this day and age for people to be far too introspective,

All joking aside I think there’s an inclination in this day and age for people to oversimplify everything based on what they read on the Internet.

Unless you’ve got some sort of neurologically atypical condition (eg, Autism) then all personality characteristics don’t generally fit into neat little black-or-white boxes despite what profiling companies might charge you large amounts of money to tell you.

Wasn’t the whole Type A thing born from a study to try and disassociate smoking and heart disease anyway? So it’s of questionable merit to start with. But even if we accept that there’s some value in it and that “Type A” people do tend to be more stressed than “type B” or whatever, it’s still a sliding scale; someone might be a lot Type A and someone else might only be a little Type A, yet someone else might exhibit different traits from both Types.

I’ve done the Myers Briggs test and, uh, another one? through work a number of years ago, and they basically go “are you a hard worker? Wow, then you must work hard. Do you like maths? Then you’re probably analytical.” The whole thing is akin to the Facebook “which Game of Thrones character are you?” quizzes that do the rounds with tedious regularity, and probably have about as much practical merit because you’re trying to classify something which is inordinately complex and subtle. But at least you come away with a pretty little graph, which is a bit more meaningful than “congratulations, your coin came up heads, you’re an aggressive stresshead and will be dead by 40 so you might as well buy some fags.”

Trimix
    Free Member

Stick to reading your horoscope, its probably as accurate.

fasthaggis

Typical Sagittarius.

Correct

More importantly ..How long for an atypical type A to be a credible Cat 4 or are they just a crap Type B

😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Dear Mr Kryton.

Occasionally, you come across as being quite a vulnerable person, but not realising it. I have every sympathy for you in this and wish you well.

You also seem to indulge in these me-me-me-me threads, which do get quite tedious.

To your better health. 🙂

Kryton57

You also seem to indulge in these me-me-me-me threads, which do get quite tedious

Of whom else’s personality should I have a concern and therefore ask questions about? Vunerable to what?

Lets check the rest of what people are asking this afternoon:

My Octavia Aircon
    My Neighbours
    My Holiday
    My Martial Arts
    My potential new diesel car
    My first day back at work

Not just me asking questions for myself, is it.

Honestly, with the amount of slagging that goes on here its becoming much harder to post a semi humerous/interesting thread.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We keenly await your first attempt.

mefty
    Free Member

We keenly await your first attempt.

He succeeded now -that’s quite funny

MrNice
    Free Member

go on then, I’ll take it (sort of) seriously. I know what type A personality is but what’s an atypical type A?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Lets check the rest of what people are asking this afternoon:

My Octavia Aircon
    My Neighbours
    My Holiday
    My Martial Arts
    My potential new diesel car
    My first day back at work

Not just me asking questions for myself, is it.

Honestly, with the amount of slagging that goes on here its becoming much harder to post a semi humerous/interesting thread.

How’s the whole not getting wound up thing going? 😀

footflaps

I’ll take it (sort of) seriously

This being a method which divides all of humanity into one of two basic personality types!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘So I've discovered I have an atypical Type A personality…’ is closed to new replies.