Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • So it's OK to promote you r business on here now
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Have had a couple of threads disappear due ‘possible’ business promotion (whether intentional or not) it’s nice to see that the rules are now seemingly being relaxed.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Or maybe they’ve not been reported…

wwaswas

have you reported any posts/threads you feel are violating the forum rules?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkbait
    Free Member

Not my place… if someone gets away with it then good for them. I didn’t for the most tenuous and unintentional link.
    This is a serious Q though… have the rules been relaxed as I’ve seen a few examples this year.

wwaswas

the rules are the same.

if people choose not to report stuff it may not be seen by the mods.

it bothered you enough to post this thread but it’s not your place’ to report. seems odd.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Mine wasn’t really intended as a promotion of our business more of a sharing of the joy of what we have achieved as a small business in a huge and hugely competitive industry, I wasn’t sure how it would be received and actually stated that if it was improper of offended then it could and should be removed, but that said it appears to of been taken with the humour and celebration of the actual event…

(Plus we have now added a discount code for STW users)

nickjb
    Free Member

What are the rules? I’d always assumed you couldn’t post up a thread saying ‘look at my company’, but if someone asks for recommendations for a builder or whatever in a particular area then it’s OK to respond with your details. Don’t think I’d go as far as reporting a regular member but I would for a new poster/spammer

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not bothered, just checking. I’m all for a bit of promotion, can’t see what’s wrong with it – unless it’s promoting another bike mag 😆
    Just a thought though – are we not all promoting ST mag by posting on here?

Edit: I’d forgotten about yours RJ (nice job by the way)

DezB
    Free Member

By the way, can anyone recommend me an online outdoor clothing store?

Cougar

Business promoting is allowed in certain cases; see the rules. I don’t believe this is ‘new,’ it’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

As others have said you can use the ‘report post’ button on anything you’re not sure about and it’ll receive mod attention quicker than waiting for someone to trip over it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

online outdoor clothing store?

🙄

Cougar

What are the rules? I’d always assumed you couldn’t post up a thread saying ‘look at my company’, but if someone asks for recommendations for a builder or whatever in a particular area then it’s OK to respond with your details.

That’s about the size of it, yes.

Site Terms & Conditions

It’s not always exactly black and white, so we’ll sometimes have to make a judgement call (and probably then spent the next week being accused of being inconsistent hypocrites with a hidden agenda, or something).

molgrips
    Free Member

I got away with it by pretending it was a thread about product photos.

Actually, it really was a thread about product photos, but there were links involved.. and people did ask.. 🙂

wwaswas

I suspect Daniel Groves might welcome his thread disappearing off the front page in the near future.

grum
    Free Member

Dressing it up as a ‘critique my website’ post is another popular option. 🙂

Cougar

I’m all for a bit of promotion, can’t see what’s wrong with it

There’s two reasons, AIUI.

1) the bulk of it is spam, as demonstrated by the number of discount kitchen furniture threads we have to mop up every morning, and

2) otherwise genuine posts which are unsolicited would be free advertising on a busy site which sells advertising space, space which in turn funds the site. Allowing this would likely close the forum eventually.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member

Edit: I’d forgotten about yours RJ (nice job by the way)

Thanks mate, it’s just nice to get recognised by our peers and just wanted to share the joy, it’s not all fun and games no matter what it looks like in the photos……

Oh and I didn’t put any links to the company in it, it was just a photo of the article so as to not generate any spam

sharkbait
    Free Member

the bulk of it is spam, as demonstrated by the number of discount kitchen furniture threads we have to mop up every morning,

Ahhh, see thanks to your good work we don’t have to put up with that crab.

it’s not all fun and games no matter what it looks like in the photos…… cough

ftfy

Mark

If you START a thread that promotes your business then expect it to be looked at very cynically by us.
    If you respond to a genuine post by a genuine user who is asking for information on products or services that your business my be able to provide then we have no problem with you helping out that user by posting information about what you offer.

The principal of the rule is that it is always in the favour of the genuine user and not the business. We allow a business to respond to a user’s post because in so doing that will potentially help out the user. It’s not about allowing the business to promote themselves.

Stretching the rule by suggesting to us that by allowing your business to promote itself on here will ‘help our users’ is very common and we ignore it. It has to be user instigated – that’s why a business can’t START a thread promoting themselves.

But as always, if you see something seemingly get ignored by the mods it’s extremely likely it’s because it hasn’t been reported. If you don’t think it’s your place to report it then we can’t help you.

footflaps

Was wondering where Daniel Groves thread had gone to….

wwaswas

I thought it had died of shame.

Karinofnine

Yes, so many spelling mistakes in such a short text. Not very good.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Actually this place could be the perfect testing ground for new websites – you’d certainly make sure they were up to snuff before posting a link, as Mr Groves has just found out. Bit miffed if it’s gone because I spent ages trying to write a nice response.

vinnyeh

To be fair, I can’t see how it was promoting a business.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Damn, I was just replying to the Daniel Groves thread agreeing with weeksy that it really wasn’t very good. He is obviously a capable programmer, but needed some help with artistic ideas, spelling and grammar. Especially as the website was an example of the very thing he was trying to sell.

footflaps

Especially as the website was an example of the very thing he was trying to sell

Which is why I don’t get all the OTT negative comments. If it really is a bad website, he’ll get no business which is the ultimate form of feedback. I just don’t see why people feel the need to lambaste the guy; it doesn’t really serve any genuine purpose.

wilko1999
    Free Member

My reply was actually worded in a very positive manner, I just didn’t get chance to send it. Why not criticise? If I can help a young ambitious developer succeed before he fails then I’m all for it. I know that if I employed him in my development team based on his CV, and he produced that website, I would be saying ‘back to the drawing board’ and giving him a chance to improve

Okay, weeksy may have been a bit ‘bull in a china shop’ but the sentiment is the same

Cougar

I don’t know as he was ‘lambasted’, on the whole anyway. Most people were constructive I thought.

Sure, there was an element of cockery from certain quarters, but that’s what happens when you give gibbons Internet access.

footflaps

OK, what I really meant was I don’t get why weeksy felt the need to lambaste the guy (other than I’m sure it made him feel good).

In all credit to DG, he took it well and responded very calmly!

yunki
    Free Member

I just don’t see why people feel the need to lambaste the guy; it doesn’t really serve any genuine purpose.

wha..!?

Either we are all sycophantic and pat him on his head and tell him what a clever doggie he is, leaving him, as you say, to get naff all business without ever really knowing the reason.. perhaps he gets jaded with the whole industry, thinks he’s wasted his life, and in a drunken moment he tries his first cigarette at a web designer and developer’s student dinner party, where his surly and listless demeanour is already getting noticed among his peers..

This leads him to feel his life is cheap, prompting him to have a puff on a joint to help ease the teenaged angst when he’s next staggering down to Devonport at closing time to visit his ‘girlfriend’.. The shame of his weak sexual technique melts away and suddenly he sees himself as a bit of a rebel, starts fooling around a bit and singing karaoke in the SU bar instead of studying.. maybe he gets behind on his dissertation..
    Maybe next time he’s fumbling for the cash to pay his ‘girlfriend’ for the half an hour’s fun that she’s just given him, she offers him a joint that’s been pepped up with a bit of smack, and now that he’s a rock n roll hooligan he just knows that it’s a step in the right direction..
    Soon he’s off the uni cycling team.. sold his bikes on the STW classifieds and is living in a Devonport bedsit too, scratching his skin til it bleeds while he shivers wrapped in a filthy duvet, wishing that the landlord would fix the broken window where flakes of snow waft in on the arctic winds to settle on the filth and broken dreams, amongst the detritus of his shattered addict lifestyle, another hollow cheeked, dead eyed statistic..

or..

he gets told that he needs to buck his ideas up a bit as his work is looking a bit shabby.. he takes it on board and gets an acceptable degree

Cougar

There is a third option, of course, which is to provide constructive criticism whilst still treating the recipient like a fellow human being. Wheaton’s Law or, I suppose more appropriately from recent threads, Molgrips’ Law.

And, I suppose, a fourth option, which is to STFU and find something else to do.

yunki
    Free Member

Damn.. I never remember that there can be more than two options.. 😳

perthmtb
    Free Member

😯 Moderation with attitude. Me likey 😀

Cougar

Sorry, I’ve not had enough coffee this morning and my tolerance for people fitting the Urban Dictionary description is running quite low.

(-:

BigJohn

So if I try to be constructive about somebody’s website the thread gets pulled.

What would happen if I mentioned that I make really high quality and bespoke bedrooms and home offices in the Stafford area at half the price of the national firms?

wilko1999
    Free Member

No, it was pulled because he was plugging his own business. I think ❓

perthmtb
    Free Member

Sorry, I’ve not had enough coffee this morning and my tolerance for people fitting the Urban Dictionary description is running quite low.

No, you carry on – about time some of these kiddies got a taste of their own 😀

wwaswas

What would happen if I mentioned that I make really high quality and bespoke bedrooms and home offices in the Stafford area at half the price of the national firms?

start a thread about it and it’ll get pulled, respond to someone asking ‘where can I get eally high quality and bespoke bedrooms and home offices in the Stafford area at half the price of the national firms?’ and you’re fine.

BigJohn

Are you asking?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

That sounds fascinating, would you like help promoting, I just happen to run a pr and social media agency that does just that? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘So it's OK to promote you r business on here now’ is closed to new replies.