Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • So is a vote for the Greens a wasted vote?
  • ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Hey Chubby (should that simply be Fat or lard?)

Hilarious. I can see why you identify so closely with the UK Idiot Party

epicsteve
    Free Member

As a matter of fact if they did i’d probably be happy to stay within the UK.

Well, good luck wherever you’re moving to.

miketually
    Free Member

As others have said, the worst case is that you give a push to the other candidates in your ward so that they might act differently once ejected. That’s not a wasted vote. Please, contact the people who are asking for your vote and ask them about issues which you feel are important. You may discover someone you can vote for.

I really hope that this in an election where people vote for someone, rather than against someone.

The Greens are not going to win loads of seats this time around, much as I’d like them to, but Caroline Lucas has shown what one person with principles can achieve so even just a few more could make a huge difference.

Like Rachel, I should probably mention that I’m standing for the Green Party, in the Haughton and Springfield ward in Darlington. (Should this technically have an imprint telling you the contact details of my agent?)

scotroutes

Or a list of all the other candidates? 😆

sweepy
    Free Member

Well, good luck wherever you’re moving to.

I don’t think i’ll need to.

chewkw
    Free Member

ChubbyBlokeInLycra – Member

Hilarious. I can see why you identify so closely with the UK Idiot Party [/quote]

:mrgreen: Slight hijack to address Chubby here …

Tell you a real story that happened many years ago when I was in Leeds.

You see when I was in Leeds sharing a house with a French, Finnish couples and a hippie single parent landlord with a son, the neighbour’s son usually come to play with the landlord son. We, the foreigners, thought this little boy is a bit fat or plump but we decided that he would not like us calling him fat or plump boy so instead all of us decided to call him Chubby … guess what … we thought we were being polite until my landlord and son explained that the boy did not wish to be address as Chubby (we all laughed including the landlord and son) We could not comprehend the reason because he was indeed fat, plump or in a better phrase Chubby. We then stopped calling him Chubby and instead, my other flatmates, started calling him fatboy (as in the Harley bike) but guess what … he got upset too. In the end, we simply thought he was no fun so started calling him his name but that was no longer endearing … he became boring after that.

The moral of story is that it brings back good memory of the word Chubby … very funny too. 😀

GrahamS

chewkw, having just read a transcript of a radio interview with the local UKIP candidate in Newcastle, Daniel Thompson, I know where I won’t be wasting my vote.

Here are some highlights, it reads like a Daily Mail comments section:

“There are an awful lot of cycle routes in the North East, and having one on John Dobson Street, crack bang in the city centre, stopping people having access there, and the one running up and down Gosforth High Street’s not a very good idea because there’s alternative cycle routes either side.”

“The reason the cycle funding has come to the North East is, first of all Newcastle City Council has given out cycling figures that are a bit misleading and they’re not sure themselves how many cyclists actually use the area, but…part of the Liberal Democrat deal with the coalition was that David Cameron gives them £115 million to put into cycle funds and that’s the reason Nick Clegg is sat there as deputy prime minister because he got this massively good deal for the cyclists. Subsequently there’s been money allocated to different cities, Newcastle has been allocated 10.5 million, and it’s just a shame that the wasn’t money allocated to maybe disabled people, getting more people onto motorised wheelchairs if they need them.”

“Cycling’s great, but there’s an over-facilitation for cycling in the North East of England. Disabled people have worked hard all their lives, but you see the cyclist lobby, the cyclist is using the road, he’s not paying any insurance, he’s not paying…he’s not got a registration number, and they’re getting a massive amount of money of central government.”

“I think we have to try to encourage the cyclists not to use the pavements because I don’t think you can have one rule where they’re using the roadspace and another rule where they’re using the pavements…we’ve got enough people on the pavements without the cyclists using it, but obviously in the view of Newcastle City Council the cyclist can go anywhere he wants; on the pavement, in the middle of the road, along the side of the road, across the town moor.”

“You used to have to have a bell on your cycle, a lot of these people don’t even have bells on their cycle any more. Now a lot of them have cameras on their hats…talk about paranoia…in case you hit them. Put it this way, I’ve never hit one. I think a lot of the accidents are basically because of the cyclists, maybe because they’ve got their earphones in, or even on their mobile phones. I’ve seen cyclists actually texting.The police won’t do it because it’s not a target. The motorist is a target, but the cyclists: they’ve got no control over it.”

“[Why have they got a ban on mobility scooters on the Metro?] Probably because they’ve got a ban on cyclists and they probably think it’ll be favouritising [sic] disabled people against the cyclists.”

crankboy
    Free Member

Vote green if you take the cynical view that your vote can archive nothing then you have registered your disapproval at the two choices one outcome politics of the majority parties, if you take the optimistic view then your vote will go some way to making the country better.

padkinson
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    ChubbyBlokeInLycra – Member

Hilarious. I can see why you identify so closely with the UK Idiot Party
    Slight hijack to address Chubby here …

Tell you a real story that happened many years ago when I was in Leeds.

You see when I was in Leeds sharing a house with a French, Finnish couples and a hippie single parent landlord with a son, the neighbour’s son usually come to play with the landlord son. We, the foreigners, thought this little boy is a bit fat or plump but we decided that he would not like us calling him fat or plump boy so instead all of us decided to call him Chubby … guess what … we thought we were being polite until my landlord and son explained that the boy did not wish to be address as Chubby (we all laughed including the landlord and son) We could not comprehend the reason because he was indeed fat, plump or in a better phrase Chubby. We then stopped calling him Chubby and instead, my other flatmates, started calling him fatboy (as in the Harley bike) but guess what … he got upset too. In the end, we simply thought he was no fun so started calling him his name but that was no longer endearing … he became boring after that.

The moral of story is that it brings back good memory of the word Chubby … very funny too.

And what exactly is wrong with calling him his name rather than just an insult?

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

chewk, having just read a transcript of a radio interview with the local UKIP candidate in Newcastle, Daniel Thompson, I know where I won’t be wasting my vote.

Here are some highlights, it reads like a Daily Mail comments section:

You might think the bloke is irrational but you will very surprised that some of my friends with PhDs, rationale, know how to argue academic type hate cyclists so much I thought they have anger related issues when they see a cyclist whilst driving … honest!

Cycle lane or not I am used to driving in the far east with scooters all over the place where as a driver I had to look out for them. I am chilled but these so called civilised friends of mine just went ape shite I kid you not.

To be honest some of the UKIP candidates do talk shite but then all politicians tend to do that except some are better rehearsed by their PR machine.

I personally will not ride on the street unless there are special lanes like those in Scandinavian countries.

padkinson – Member

And what exactly is wrong with calling him his name rather than just an insult?

It was not an insult when we called the boy chubby because it was an endearing term we showed. Sometimes we just don’t call people by their names and we like to give them nicknames.

In other part of the world if you are fat you know you are fat and sometime people just state the obvious as an endearing term. They would call you fat boy or fat girl in front of everyone. They do and the person being called fat does not even bat an eye about that. No insult was intended and everyone knows that. The obvious is just obvious. Oh ya if you intend to address your elders by name you get a good smacking for being disrespectful. 😀

GrahamS

To be honest some of the UKIP candidates do talk s

But the spirit of what he says was also in the UKIP official manifesto (back when they had one) so the “lone nutter” defence doesn’t wash.

I personally will not ride on the street unless there are special lanes like those in Scandinavian countries.

That guy runs STURR, “Stop The Unneccesary Red Route” which is a campaign specifically against installing a special traffic-free cycle lane. Oh and they claim to be pro-cycling!

cookeaa

I am considering a Green vote as I am probably a bit more left leaning and I just don’t believe any of the major party’s more centre-right, popularist speil or policies reflect what I want for the UK.

I’m not so naive as to believe the support is there for the Greens to sweep to victory, but I could see a small Green contingent perhaps forming part of a new coalition, and possibly helping to sway a Labour or even Conservative led coalition a bit away from the nastier excesses of the Right, fundamentally the opposite of what the Kippers are hoping for….

Who Knows? stranger things have happened.

People perhaps forget perhaps that voting in an election isn’t about backing the winner, it’s about registering your support for the candidate / party which most closely matches your views and aspirations for the country. The only “wasted” vote would be one where you don’t vote for what you believe in IMO.

cookeaa

It was not an insult when we called the boy chubby because it was an endearing term we showed. Sometimes we just don’t call people by their names and we like to give them nicknames.

Can we start calling you “Enoch” just as a term of endearment

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    But the spirit of what he says was also in the UKIP official manifesto (back when they had one) so the “lone nutter” defence doesn’t wash.

Not defending him at all. For me personally having cycle lane or not is a non-issue in the grant scheme of things.

That guy runs STURR, “Stop The Unneccesary Red Route” which is a campaign specifically against installing a special traffic-free cycle lane. Oh and they claim to be pro-cycling!

I don’t know who they are but I know it’s scary to ride on the road …

cookeaa – Member

Can we start calling you “Enoch” just as a term of endearment… [/quote]

If you feel like it then go ahead if that is an endearment towards another person.

Bear in mind we had no ill feeling or hate towards the boy nor were we picking on him.

😮

padkinson
    Free Member

Can we start calling you “Enoch” just as a term of endearment…

I’d prefer to call him something more along the lines of c**t

cookeaa
    chewkw
    Free Member

padkinson – Member
    I’d prefer to call him something more along the lines of c**t

cookeaa – Member

It’s not far off

😆 We used to address or to greet all our friends as c**t in their face every time we meet. (also all the known swear words we could master … I kid you not. We have terms that are so vulgar even we laughed when we used them.)

Put it this way we used to address all our friends with all known rude words in the world in the context of endearment.

However, you used it in the context of “conflict”, “challenge” or retaliation … that’s the different. Yours is not of endearment.

I think there is a culture clash here … 😆

Anyway, back to OP on voting Green or not.

duntstick
    Free Member

Tch…..

cookeaa

No it is honestly and totally endearing in intent.. Really.

Just like calling a fat lad “chubby” when he doesn’t like it.

Nice story otherwise, can’t see the relevance to the topic, but it’s another little anecdote that adds a bit more depth to your STW, virtual personal… Guess you had to be there.

cookeaa

And yes back to topic.

Decided yet OP?

chewkw
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

No it is honestly and totally endearing in intent.. Really.

Just like calling a fat lad “chubby” when he doesn’t like it.

Nice story otherwise, can’t see the relevance to the topic, but it’s another little anecdote that adds a bit more depth to your STW, virtual personal… Guess you had to be there.

Oh c’mon! C’mon! You lot are getting too serious chill man, chill …

The moral of the story is a small thing like being called names is not the end of the world. I am not trying to pretend who I am not coz that’s simply hard work.

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

The moral of the story is actually don’t tell people what they should and shouldn’t like.

cookeaa

Just keeping it really? All power to you then brother…

Back on topic, if you think the roads are too dangerous to cycle on,
    Why not vote green? rather than support the ”anti-cycling party”..

Marin
    Free Member

Hnn. All the media I heard yesterday were saying minor parties could have a big influence in lokely event its a close call. Greens for me. Don’t like all their policies but at least they believe in something other than the latest opinion poll.

wilburt
    Free Member

I think the outcome of this election will be a Labour/SNP deal to form the Government.

Locally it’ll be Conservative all round with a hint of UKIP getting the thick **** vote.

I’m in it for the long term and will be voting Green.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ll find plenty on here who think cyclists get in their way and shouldn’t be on the roads.

Am I the only one to think that UKIP is the perfect party for chewkw to vote for having read his little anecdote?

aracer
    Free Member

On the contrary, if I thought that was likely there’s no way I’d consider voting for them 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

is a vote for the Greens a wasted vote?

of course not.

i’ll be voting green because i want to show that there are voters (hopefully millions of us) who will vote for social and environmental policies.

if enough of us turn out in my constituency, then maybe we can help the Green Candidate retain their deposit.

i reckon those reasons are as good as any others.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if I thought that was likely there’s no way I’d consider voting for them

😆 well played

I would vote for them if the vote counted

Unfortunately it may let a tory in here as its one less for labour

In FPTP do the least harm rather than vote how you wish 😥

Its a poor system IMHO

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 ahwiles

A vote for what/who you believe in within the current system is not a wasted vote. I’ll be voting Green. I’d really like to see what a Green/SNP/Plaid Cymru coalition could do.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you want a Tory government vote for anyone but Labour. If you don’t want a Tory government then vote Labour.

On a side note I haven’t been impressed by Caroline Lucas at all. She isn’t even a vegetarian so much for being green.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you want a Tory government vote for anyone but Labour. If you don’t want a Tory government then vote Labour.

Unfortunately a lot of people share this attitude and that is what maintains the status quo. If you want green policies vote green. It’ll take a while but we will get change

ransos
    Free Member

No. Vote for the party that most closely aligns with your beliefs and values. I’m voting Green, but if the SNP ever form an English branch, I could be tempted.

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting – so if you live in Solihull you’d suggest voting Labour in order to prevent a Tory government? 😯

I have to admit I do find that seat (and other similar ones) interesting in the context of Lib Dem supporters being disaffected with their party because they got into bed with the Tories and choosing to vote Labour instead. Unintended consequences…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Vote for the party that most closely aligns with your beliefs and values

what if your belief and value is anyone but the Tories?

Its naive to not vote tactically under our current system

mrwhyte
    Free Member

What do people think about changing the current voting system then to a form of PR? I was gutted when changing to PR was quashed last time round.
    Parties such as the Greens would do far better and you would have far less ‘wasted’ votes.

aracer
    Free Member

Turkeys tend to avoid voting for Xmas

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Obviously not aimed at the politicians who may frequent the forum 😀

But would more people on here vote for who they truly believe in if the current FPTP was reformed?

kayla1
    Free Member

That’s one of the Greens’ policies, isn’t it? Reform of the current voting system and Parliament.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Yep, greens in favour of PR and reform of HoLs from what I can remember.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘So is a vote for the Greens a wasted vote?’ is closed to new replies.