Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • So, internal cable routing…
  • D0NK

possibly not the best idea?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nAqtuX]ouch[/url] by D0NK, on Flickr
    (Not mine, friend of a friend)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Thought everyone knew, plastic sleeve over the steerer tube was the thing to do with Commencal’s that have the cable going in the HT, even I managed to work that out when I built my Mrs’s bike up.

Clearly not…

wwaswas

that looks like it had a plastic sleeve over it but it’s worn through?

Northwind

Nothing in the world more abrasive than standard cable outer. Except Sidi Vertebra motorbike boots.

euans2
    Free Member

Catapult cord over the outers = problem solved

D0NK

Pretty sure this was a bought bike not home build so manufacturer/bike shop error.

Not very old bike either, owner said to be “disappointed”

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That looks like a knackered sleeve

D0NK

Lookslike knackered sleeve and worn steerer to me but that pic is all I’ve seen and it’s not fantastic quality.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yup

maxtorque

My crappy french snapierre has a nifty little carbon brackety thing that lives in the steerer tube and keeps the cables off the fork. It’s a massive PITA to fit, with pointlessly small SCH screws holding it in place, but i guess it actually does do something afterall!

imnotverygood

Out of interest. Wots the thingy in the background that looks a bit like a cows skull?

breadcrumb

^ LOL

It’s a fender bender!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m almost as bothered about fiddly internal routing as I am by creaky unreliable press fit bottom brackets – though at least the latter have some functional benefit!

imnotverygood

It’s a fender bender!

So,it is!!! Good spot 😆

cookeaa

Can’t help thinking internal routing on MTBs is all wrong, more faff and fiddle to install and really only to keep aesthetes happy, sawing through your steerer would hardly seem to be a bonus, its just a bit of tartyness inherited from road bikes IMO…

Now all the posher bikes are composite, why not just mould in recesses on the exterior of frames to neatly keep cables and lines flush?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Shiny bit looks like helicopter tape was put there for that reason (compare it to the more matte looking upper part of the steerer). Why would you fit heli tape under the plastic sleeve? 😕

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘So, internal cable routing…’ is closed to new replies.