Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So, I'm trying to persuade the boyfriend he needs a new bike…
  • timidwheeler

He hired a 29 inch Stumpjumper (L) on holiday and seemed to really like it. I’m not sure which model, but it was a 130mm full sus and about €2600. He is about 6 foot 4 and I want him to have he wants something trail/ all mountain oriented.
    Any suggestions? Any one know of any good deals?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea but you are a keeper 😀

discoduck
    Free Member

:mrgreen: 🙄 What he said up there !

Vortexracing

no idea but you are a keeper

2nd 3rd that 😀

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Forget him, marry me!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like he deserves you. 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

He doesn’t know he needs a new bike?? What kind of a man is he? You can do better than him!

Right then, where on the web can you find a bunch of strapping young(ish) men with a healthy interest in bicycles??

Any ideas folks?

scaredypants

shush lads – he’s holding out for something better 😉

trailmoggy
    Free Member

This has got to be a wind up

ampthill

Right then, where on the web can you find a bunch of strapping young(ish) men with a healthy interest in bicycles??

That’s another forum. This is the no Avatar forum, you noticed that. So whilst everyone likes to give to impression of being a trail buck. The IT orientated slightly balding slightly bulging weekend warrior might be nearer the truth

In an answer to the OPs question

Take him to a trail centre on a busy bank holiday weekend. He’ll feel like a cheap skate even on his new bike

Trekster

Photos 😉

bearnecessities

slightly bulging weekend warrior

*Snigger*

samuri
    Free Member

couple of things then.
    The Stumpjumper is a hardtail, not full suss. Did it have rear suspension?
    130mm sounds a bit long for a stumpjumper. Sure it was a Stumpjumper?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Meta SLs will be on offer from crc soon, as with AMs (which are awesome!).

bearnecessities

Samuri, warrayaonnabout?!

EDIT: Oh, I see…you pendant you. 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

samuri – Member

couple of things then.
    The Stumpjumper is a hardtail, not full suss. Did it have rear suspension?
    130mm sounds a bit long for a stumpjumper. Sure it was a Stumpjumper?

http://www.specialized.co.uk/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr

Looks like full sus to me..

marko75
    Free Member

Timid – cant believe that we didnt meet before I got married….. can you PLEASE talk to my wife!

I was in <cough> Evans <cough> yesterday looking at balance bikes but there were some fantastic deals on demo bikes mtb bikes – maybe worth a shot?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

ha ha ha this thread has made me laugh – it is so hard to find someone with the same love of bikes in real life, good luck timid in getting him hooked 😉

dibboid
    Free Member

Is there another forum on here. .. I see bike, chat, for sale and wanted. .. Looking for the ” permanent wife swapping” one with no takesy backsy’s :mrgreen:

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Am I the only one seeing this? Timidwheeler just buy whatever it is you want then tell your bf to buy his bike if he wants. No guilt on uou for treating yourself then. 🙂

timidwheeler

Erm.. Cheers for the offers 😆
    Yes, I think it was the fsr version. Does it come in non-carbon? Anything similar round the £2000-£2500 mark?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah FSRs come in aluminium, the Evo is base model. I’d look at Meta SLs though, some bargainous prices on CRC last time I looked as everyones getting AM/SXs.

timidwheeler

Sicklilpuppy, I already have a bike I am very happy with. My problem is my boyfriend keeps wasting all our money on rubbish, like mortgage overpayments, instead of investing it in something useful.
    The meta SLs look very good. I think he would suit a 29er though.

mudshark
    Free Member

What does he ride now?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I think he would suit a 29er though.

Ah, bit like that is he? beardy, sandles? 😉

But seriously, wait a few months for the new on-one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m guessing more interesting in the latest new thing, passing fads and shiney stuff – sure he’s a keeper 😛

timidwheeler

No beard and I binned his sandals years ago. I thought he would suit a 29er as:
    1 He is very tall and skinny so he doesn’t look like a clown on one.
    2 While he enjoys (trying to) jump and drop he is never going to be getting massive air.
    3 Most of our riding is on rooty Chiltern hills.
    4 On holiday he hired one, and really liked it.

He currently has a Giant Talon which I don’t think is good enough for him. He rides alot and needs something more capable.

timidwheeler

Sorry, I should add that the Talon has been fine for bimbling round the Chilterns. But we gave already been to the Alps this year where it was useless and we are off to North Wales in a few weeks. He needs a bike that is good enough to do blue/green alpine downhills but will be comfortable peddling for 8 hours along a towpath. We don’t have much space so if he gets a new bike it will be his only bike.

jodafett

so if he gets a new bike it will be his only bike.

Well thats gone and changed a few opinions of you 😉

khani
    Free Member

Stumpjumper FSR 29er frame = £800 at bikescene.
    Rev 130 forks = £300 from crc
    SLX groupset inc, brakes = £300 from Merlin
    Hope pro2 evo on flows £300ish almost anywhere
    Tyres of your choice = £50-80
    Bars stem seatpost saddle of your choice within reason = £100-150
    Grips =£15
    Cables = £10-20
    Other bits I’ve no doubt forgot = £30
    Total £2000 ish and beer for a handy mate to help build it,.. Fill your boots.. 😀

adjustablewench
    Free Member

jodafett – Member
    so if he gets a new bike it will be his only bike.
    Well thats gone and changed a few opinions of you

Do you think timid has a wardrobe approach to garage space allocation? – ‘I need most as i have most clothes bikes – you can have that tiny bit of space over there for yours’

It’s great being a girl 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Take him to a trail centre car park on a busy bank holiday weekend. He’ll feel like a cheap skate even on his new bike

FTFY

timidwheeler

Ok to clarify further.
    I have to have three bikes as they are all for different things. He only needs one. It’s different for men. I let him have a cycle to work (and leave it all day at the train station) bike as well, I ought to add.
    Besides my bikes live in the kitchen where there is plenty of room. He is short of space in the shed/lean-to where his live.
    Perfectly reasonable.

timidwheeler

Khani, that is not a bad plan. I am reasonably confident I could build it myself and I won the Tuesday treats draw this week so have a set of wheels coming my way. He has a set of XT brakes and a reverb already from upgrading his Talon. I will have to check the reverb diameter. Got lots of spare finishing kit about.
    Cheers, that could be a winner.

khani
    Free Member

I forgot the headset and direct mount front mech apart from that you’re welcome.. 😀 I think the groupsets come with a normal front mech..

loughor
    Free Member

Mudshark
    You cheeky devil 😀

singletrackmind

I let him have a cycle to work (and leave it all day at the train station) bike as well, I ought to add.

Wow , thats so very generous of you . You LET him have 2 bikes , your love knows no bounds , being all thoughtfull and caring .

IanMunro
    Free Member
    singletrackmind

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So, I'm trying to persuade the boyfriend he needs a new bike…’ is closed to new replies.