Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • So I'm sat on the sofa and my mrs says to me
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

next week is when the speeding tickets change

so I look up thinking wtf is she on about

anyone have a clue, I hear here mumbling something about half a months wage or something along those lines if you get caught speeding

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’ve moved to a means based system – if you speed a bit it’s 50% of your weekly wage, if you speed a bit more it’s 100% and speed like a **** and it’s -150%

Not sure it’s that much of a deterrent, it’s the points most people worry about and whilst even the 50% is £134 for a full time worker on National Basic Wage (current fixed fine is £100) the courts give you a long time to pay it if you ask – a year I think.

You’d need to google for the subtleties, it’s slightly complex.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ve done this in Finland for years; boss of Nokia during the good years got caught and had to pay the world record biggest ever speeding fine.

butcher

Seems a fair way of doing it really. £100 or whatever it used to be might hurt someone earning minimum wage and struggling to put food on the table, but not a banker on 200k a year. And the points system seems a bit pointless when no one seems to get banned if they suggest they need their car for work, as most people do.

What they really need though is for traffic laws to be enforced. I keep seeing people tailgating police cars and I wonder in what world people think it is OK to do that! It just shows that either people think they’re not doing anything wrong, or they know it yet think they can get away with it anyway.

garage-dweller

So do these new fines only apply if it goes to court and the fixed penalty remains as is?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Looks like the fines are only for the band C so the driving a lot over the limit. I guess for these you have to go to court so that’s how they would get your salary details

njee20
    Free Member

It’s capped at £2500, or an effective £50k salary, even if you’re driving like a total ****. I also knew nothing of this until another forum mentioned it yesterday.

jimdubleyou

It’s capped at £2500, or an effective £50k

Want to show your working on that? I make it somewhere over £85k.

njee20
    Free Member

No, I read it elsewhere and didn’t give it too much thought.

Spending 30 seconds on google It’s actually up to 150% of weekly salary capped at £1000 on normal roads and £2500 on motorways. So it’s less than £50k effectively on everything except motorways, where its £86,667. Apologies for repeating something from a stupid person.

It also seems to be “up to” which is also the current guidelines, and the current maximums, so one imagines some scale or ‘discretion’ (however arbitrary and opaque the logic) and possibly not the huge changes some seem to anticipate.

oldnpastit

The 30mph band C fine looks like it might be quite popular. If you don’t notice a 30mph speed limit coming into somewhere not especially built-up, you’ll easily be doing over 51mph.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you’re? an idiot ^

Del

The 30mph band C fine looks like it might be quite popular. If you don’t notice a 30mph speed limit coming into somewhere not especially built-up, you’ll easily be doing over 51mph.

which would be an indicated ~ 56/57mph on many vehicles.
    if you’re doing that and don’t notice the change in restriction i think it’s fair to say you’re either willfully ignoring it or not paying sufficient attention.

njee20
    Free Member

Wiggles +1

Are they the same people they don’t notice cyclists bouncing off their windscreen ?

convert

I can see this causing some good Daily Mail headlines – some nefarious dodgy no gooder in a massive german tank with a rumoured fortune stashed away in an offshore bank but with little provable income being given a fine much smaller than a retired little englander who was only speeding because their wife’s care home told him to get there before it was too late.

oldnpastit

if you’re doing that and don’t notice the change in restriction i think it’s fair to say you’re either willfully ignoring it or not paying sufficient attention.

I think we’re going to see a few threads on STW along the lines of “got a £1000 fine for doing 52 in a 30mph, what should I do” ?

wiggles
    Free Member

Before anyone asks no i have never got done for speeding, my trick is when you see a sign with a number on then make sure you are going >/= that

timba
    Free Member

> ?
    Shouldn’t be long then, get saving 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

So how does it affect such things as the speed awareness courses then? Will they no longer be offered as a fixed fee with no points?

sbob
    Free Member

wiggles – Member

If you’re? an idiot

wiggles – Member

no i have never got done
    😛

when you see a sign with a number on then make sure you are going >/= that

🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

And the points system seems a bit pointless when no one seems to get banned if they suggest they need their car for work, as most people do.

Less than 1 in 4 “exceptional hardship” pleas are successful.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you’re? an idiot

Or drive a stretch of rural 50 road on a semi regular basis so you’re watching the road, looking out for cyclists and horses not signs, and then discover they’ve pushed the 30 limit out by a few hundred metres.

(Not happened to me but know of a few such stretches around here and heard of a few people being caught).

allthegear
    Free Member

If they can’t spot a bright sign, a foot diameter, then they shouldn’t be driving

convert

To be fair there does seems to be a bit of inconsistency about what constitutes a 30 zone nationally. In Pembrokshire last week I was amazed at communities I could apparently drive through at 50/60 where 30 would definitely be the case at home. No excuse for missing the sign though….or slowing down to be on the safe side if unsure if you might have.

This is a 30

this is a 60

Before anyone asks no i have never got done for speeding, my trick is when you see a sign with a number on then make sure you are going >/= that

When making a smug comment it always pays to make it accurate 🙂

oldnpastit

I think Wiggles is referring to the idea that if you go _fast_ enough, the camera won’t actually be able to register your speed. But I think you need to be doing about 120mph for that to work.

But if he’s got the cojones to go at that speed through a 30mph zone, then fair play I say. Irresponsible, but brave.

CountZero

But I think you need to be doing about 120mph for that to work.

Top Gear tried it years ago with a top-end TVR, I think they got up to 170+ before they managed to pass the hash marks before the camera triggered.

slowoldman

looking out for cyclists and horses not signs

You should be looking out for cyclists and horses AND signs.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘So I'm sat on the sofa and my mrs says to me’ is closed to new replies.