Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • so im in hospital & in quite a bit of pain
  • PrinceJohn

After falling off my road bike on Monday night & breaking my femur near the top, please amuse me. No videos tho as I won’t be able to view then on my measley 3g connection speed.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds painful. How did you do that? Perhaps you can amuse us, and therefore you’ll be amused by proxy.

Surely you can view videos on 3G?

kayak23

Hope that helps. get well soon. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

you have my sympathy – I got a femoral neck fracture which was pinned with 3 10cm long screws.

My advice would be;

get moving as quickly as you can

get as much physio as you can

do a lot of stretching once the physio tells you how

get any metalwork removed after a year or two if at all possible.

PrinceJohn

Riding it round an uphill left corner, slowly & both wheels washed out instantly, I head no chance apart from hitting the ground. Hard. Knew it was broken immediately due to the floaty bone motion in my leg. The shouting & swearing at the top of my voice also gave away my pain level to passers by.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Broke mine twice m8 but I cycle and MTB even more now. It will mean you lose a bit of balance but long term I have no pain. Let it heal then get training.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Which hospital?

portlyone

Northwind

Join our exclusive hip-breaky crew. Neck or shaft?

I will not lie, breaking your femur sucks balls. But they tend to heal well, I’m more active and healthy now than I was before I burst mine. Good luck!

wwaswas

my metalwork;

used to hurt like buggery if I knocked my thigh on a table edge – the bolt heads stuck out quite a long way from the bone and ‘dug in’ a bit.

Northwind

Oh- sorry to derail but wwaswas, what was the reasoning for getting yours out? Just because of the protrduing heads? I get a bit of inflamation/discomfort around the heads of mine but otherwise seem fine (6 years, maybe 7 years old?) and nobody seems to want to remove them.

Not even titanium 🙁 My leg’s got more steel bolts in in than my bike.

wwaswas

tbh, it just seemed to be the way the consultant did things.

I did do some reading and found that there did seem to be more risk of future problems with the joint (arthritis etc) when the metalwork was left in.

I think given the poor blood supply to the femoral head and neck that the fact I kept bruising my thigh muscles on the bolt heads made it better too.

Results for me were;

No more ‘stiff leg’ after long drives

fear of bashing my thigh gone.

was less worried about falling off bike.

On balance I think having them out was the best choice for me. Was one night in hospital and a bit of discomfort for a few days. They cut all the old scar tissue out so I’ve only got one ‘set’. Ironically, the cut was longer than the original as he had to open it up a bit further ‘cos the head of a bolt rounded off so he need to get access for a set of Mole grips (really) on the bolt.

Might be worth talking to your gp, although after the length of time it’s been in the bone may have grown over the metal anyway so removal may be more problematic.

here’s what came out (no not the 5p!);

OP – sorry for the hijack!

Steelsreal

Knew it was broken immediately due to the floaty bone motion in my leg. The shouting & swearing at the top of my voice also gave away my pain level to passers by

odd really as when broke my back it was the winding that did me, not really the pain?? Got up and snowboarded to the bottom of the piste where i couldn’t move. Was only later that the pain struck, adrenaline i suppose.

JUst out of interest, why remove the metal work? Mine has been in my back for a year and looks like its staying…just wondered if i should be campainging with my surgeon to take it out??

Pigface
    Free Member

I mashed mine when I was 17 and spent 4 months in traction, another 8 months learning to walk properly again. Good news it is as good as new, its not straight but works just great 😀

bluemonday22
    Free Member

Well PrinceJohn,I did exactly the same to my left leg cycling home from work in 2008.How I remember lying in the road with cars driving round me!!Pins were removed a year later,they do make themselves felt otherwise.Be reassured,it all mends and you WILL get fully recovered.Best wishes mate.

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

‘cos the head of a bolt rounded off so he need to get access for a set of Mole grips (really) on the bolt.

You’re really selling it to me… “Ah, Plusgas hasn’t worked, fetch the gas axe” “Nah, you just need a bigger hammer!”

(My last memory before i went under with the general was when they were setting up the tools and I spotted their torque wrench. Draper! FFS. Let me off this bed! I have a Halfords Pro you can borrow!)

wwaswas

I think he posted on here at the time and was advised to cut the head off with a dremel and then hammer it through 😉

The scar’s quite neat 🙂

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I had eye surgery after an impact and the next day my eye started to swell up and they had to draw fluid off by sticking a needle in my eye .Trippy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Taking the metalwork =out is very much a marginal call from what I know – if its not causing problems its best to leave it, if it does cause issues take it out

Personally I would want the metal out if possible

althepal

I’ve still got metalwork in both ankles/tub/fibs- must be going on for, oh, about 12 years now. Quite a bit in the right, not quite as much in my left..
    I’ve played amateur football for years, out on the bike loads, and used to do a fair bit of running and hillwalking too..
    Only time it’s been a major hassle is when the metal detector is turned up at the airport!

tomaso
    Free Member

jedi

when i broke my tibia in 06 i had the metal work taken out in 08 as it was uncomfortabl to kneel etc… i told the gp i could feel it move 😀
    they toook it out 🙂 feels way better now and the massive lump on the side of my knee isnt as massive anymore

hopster
    Free Member

Broke my hip in 2010. Still got the 4 pins and plate in. Doesn’t cause any problems but I’ve had really bad knee problems since I broke it. Physiotherapy has fixed it and I’ve got a little frustrated with it all. Never had any knee pain till I broke it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘so im in hospital & in quite a bit of pain’ is closed to new replies.