Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • So, if you accept that 26 Is Dead… Who won at 26 inch wheels?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

DME Trailstar. Classic frame! I kinda wish I never sold mine, such a versatile bike and effortless to dirt jump on.

kiwijohn

Yeti SB66c.

somafunk

So 26″ is dead is it?…..suckerz……. 😉

matther01
    Free Member

^^^ not dead per se…just waiting for the resurrection (probably around Easter next year 😉 )

freehighlander
    Free Member

26 Dead????????? anything else is just Marketing hype BUY into it if you believe the comics. Don’t buy in just ride what you like.

So many classic designs Giant NRS any of the Orange single Pivots.

Long live 26″

br
    Free Member

On-One’s Lynskey-fabricated 456Ti.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ibis.
    Consistently producing some of the most desirable bikes in steel, titanium, aluminium and plastic over the last 30 years.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Yeti ASR 5C – still one of the best bikes I have ever ridden.

honourablegeorge

In best tradition of recommending your own bike, I’m going to vote for the Ion 16. Just sneaked in before 650, and it’s bloody ace.

Crag
    Free Member

Cannondale CAAD5 hardtail frames are pretty special imo.
    And in terms of full sus, Spesh Enduro has evolved since the dawn of time and always been pretty close to the mark.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Supermarket BSO’s 26″ and proud, Still going strong.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Best 26″er?

Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Or

Klein Attitude

eddie11
    Free Member

Pace RC200, in red. thread closed 🙂

devs
    Free Member

One bike to cover it all from DH to ultra mincecore XC? Nomad.

teamslug
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Superlight of yesteryear and now Ibis Mojo

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

None of my 26″ers are dead
    and I’d like to nominate each and every one of them in the best 26″er category:

456 EVO Ti
    Liteville 301 Mk11 (although admittedly it does have a 27.5″ front wheel and fork)
    Orange Patriot (2012 model)

Lester
    Free Member

another one here for the ibis mojo 🙂
    first the mojo classic then the sl/slr then the HD and now the HDR

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

My old cove Stiffee was my best ever 26″ bike, I don’t think I’ve ever regretted selling a bike except it

soobalias
    Free Member

who won at 26″ wheels?

mavic 819 on hope proII.

Northwind

Is there a prize for heavy, narrow, noisy, and poorly sealed then? 😀

bigrich

26″ is dead. 26″ remains dead. Gullible fools who believe what they are told have killed it. And yet it’s shadow looms.

Northwind

I feel better about having just spunked a grand on 26 inch parts, Zumbi just let me know they’ve no plans to stop making 26 inch F11s. If I needed a new frame, that was already my first 26 inch choice. Futureproofed.

(though, tbh it’ll be hard to resist a carbon remedy 29)

lowey

Turner 5 Spot Horst link.

Cant believe no one has mentioned 90’s era’s Orange P7. De rigueur xc race bike. Superb frame.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

IF then

(i) according to STW, Inbred

(ii) according to my wishlist Ibis Mojo

(iii) according to aesthetics, Cotic Soul

(iv) according to a sensible pro / con list, Santa Cruz Chameleon

A special mention to recent Gary Fisher who, besides Brant (IMO), seemed to influence bike design for the better. Slack geom for longer forks whilst keeping a reasonable ‘stretch’ with top tube length.

*edit – having seen zoo’s post below, a Zaskar is a bike I’d by tomorrow, if I had the cash. I haven’t ridden one, but it was my poster-bike growing up… does it come with Hans Rey and a Mint Sauce comic strip?

zoo200
    Free Member

GT Zaskar
    Klein Attitude
    Cotic Soul
    Stanton Slackline
    Carrera Fury – genuinely one of the best bikes I’ve owned and i have a lot of Exotica

DezB
    Free Member

In best tradition of recommending your own bike..

Yeti 575.

Is there a winner yet?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Again, with the tradition of recommending what you own, I’m going to say the Specialized Pitch.

Virtually unchanged for four model years, it retailed for less than it should have given its capabilities. Build it light as a long-travel trail bike or stick Lyriks on it as a mini-DH tool. Size it small as a slopestyle bike if you like.

Standard shock mounting, standard headset, standard 73mm BB, ISCG tabs and dropper post cable clips (on the last version). Only thing it needs is a tapered head tube.

I love mine..

ahwiles
    Free Member

what he ^ said.

a quiver-killer, for a grand, old now but by no means out-dated.

Specialized Pitch – they had to stop making it as it made their other bikes look like poor value for money.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Forgot to add: standard(ish) 30.9mm seatpost, forward facing seat clamp, full-length outers, standard QR rear dropouts…

Plus Spesh were running the long, low and slack geo a couple of years before most others. How many good-handling bikes have just copied Specialized’s geometry?

cookeaa

This thread topic does drift close being a wheel size discussion

Don’t force me now…

I did like my Trailstar(s) but I’ll always have a soft spot for a 90s steel Kona, so Explosif FTW?

ChrisL

makecoldplayhistory – Member

IF then

(i) according to STW, Inbred

(ii) according to my wishlist Ibis Mojo

(iii) according to aesthetics, Cotic Soul

(iv) according to a sensible pro / con list, Santa Cruz Chameleon

I like your thinking, if only because I own (ii) and (iv) and have owned a (iii). 🙂

Northwind

Everyone who’s suggested a bike they wouldn’t still buy today, at modern price equivalents- GTFO.

Pitch is a good un but does it beat the stumpy evo and late enduro? Not sure. Value is a bit unfair as Specialized were all over the place, it was heavily discounted at some points as it didn’t sell at full price.

ryan91
    Free Member

I will second the cannondale prophet, a bike which saved the company and was so far ahead of its time, if you compare it’s geometry to a similar bike now it was already there in 2004 ! It went practically unchanged aside for tough versions, and in it’s final incarnation gate crashed WMTB’s bike of the year with a killer value build (still a USA built frame set) . A 27.4 mm seatpost limits dropper choice, 1.5″ head tube doesn’t.
    I just bought one to build up, just wished I’d have plumped for one instead of a blingy scott nitrous in 2005

ChrisL

Are mbr still maintaining that the 2005ish Spesh Enduro is the best bike of all time?

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m hoping the answer is a blur 4X as I’ve just bought a frame to build up…. 😀
    So yeah, 26 is alive and well!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

ChrisL

It was a spectacular bike, well ahead of its time though. My only ever full sus.

pictonroad

In the spirit of money where your mouth is, these are the bikes I voted for and the bikes I own.

Still love them but I accept their time is over, will be mine til they’re dead.

julians
    Free Member

Are mbr still maintaining that the 2005ish Spesh Enduro is the best bike of all time?

the 2005 enduro IS the best bike of all time.

I’d vote for that or the Ibis Mojo HD.

Purely co-incidentally I own both.

If I had to choose one, its got to be the 2005 enduro ,and its succesors, except for 2007-2009 models, they were gash. This bike set the template for all other ‘enduro’ bikes that followed.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I thought everyone owned an Orange 5 yet nobody is willing to nominate it. Mondeo class maybe?

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve only really known* the bikes i’ve owned, of which there were five. All winners in my eyes but if i had to pick one ultimate winner, it’ll have to be the Stumpy Evo. It does all the things a great all-rounder should but it’s not perfect (is any bike?). It’s a bitch to manual long distances but on the flip side, the way it lets you pump and slide through corners is something that i’ve never experience before on any bike and has me laughing like a loon. Such a well balanced bicycle.

* I have ridden others but not for as long or as eagerly as my own.

p.s. When was 26″ pronounced dead? I don’t think i got that memo.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘So, if you accept that 26 Is Dead… Who won at 26 inch wheels?’ is closed to new replies.