Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • So i won an ipad yesterday.
  • andybrad

And i don’t know what to do with it. Should i…

Sell it on eBay?
    See if i can swap it for a nexus 7 at comet (its from comet)
    Use it?

or any other advice? I don’t own any other apple products.

Mackem

Sell it, buy a Nexus 7. Pocket the change.

stumpy01

Mackem – Member
    Sell it, buy a Nexus 7. Pocket the change.

Have a look at the LG G Pad 8.3 too…

hora
    Free Member

Keep it- whats wrong with it?!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@andy – what are the specs I might care (although to be honest I’m waiting for the new Air2 in October) ? If you keep the box you can use it for a few months, see if you like it and then sell it, you’ll get the same money now or then. You can run icloud.com on your pc and still sync everything with the iPad. When I got an iPad it changed the way I use computer, just so easy to browse web, email, social network, watch movies etc when travelling etc (possible with other tablets of course). Give it a try.

willard

I would argue that it’s not a bad thing to keep. Apple tends to release software updates more often than the Android makers do, so issues like Heartbleed and the new stuff won’t affect you [for long]. Apps tend to “just work” and the sandboxing makes it a sensible choice for online banking if you don’t jailbreak it.

Yes there are limitations (lack of uSD card, etc), but it’s not a bad system to use for everyday web browsing, books, photos, etc and the use of iCloud does make it a bit better than before.

Just go with the flow.

hora
    Free Member

I’d never buy a apple product but I dont see a problem at all with an ipad. I’d use one.

andybrad

Just not sure what i would use it for and its a couple hundred quid i could spend on beer / put towards a new fridge.

willard

Well, it’s useful for watching films on in bed, or checking STW on the bog. You can use it to video call people on Skype or FaceTime. It’s easy to fit in a van or a tent to watch stuff on if you go out and can act as a satnav if you have the 3G version.

But, as you say, it’s free money. If you want to sell it, do it whilst the box is sealed.

revs1972
    Free Member

Comet you say ?
    Are they back trading then ?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you’re the kind of person who will sit and watch films/surf the web on a laptop while watching tv or in bed, then tablets in general are much better suited for that sort of thing.

If you’re not then flog it, you’ll get a good price if it’s new and spend it on shiny bike bits.

peteimpreza

Comet? I dont’t think so………….

stumpy01

willard – Member
    Well, it’s useful for watching films on in bed, or checking STW on the bog. You can use it to video call people on Skype or FaceTime. It’s easy to fit in a van or a tent to watch stuff on if you go out and can act as a satnav if you have the 3G version.

But, as you say, it’s free money. If you want to sell it, do it whilst the box is sealed.

Thing is….the OP could do all that (apart from face time) with a tablet that costs a lot less.
    I’d be getting it up for sale and getting a cheaper alternative. You’ll be quids in AND have a tablet.

grum
    Free Member

Thing is….the OP could do all that (apart from face time) with a tablet that costs a lot less.

And you could ride all the same stuff on a bike that costs a lot less. 😉

stumpy01

grum, cost is no measure of performance…..

😉

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

But then cost isn’t really an issue here is it – seeing as he won it? 🙂

Ultimately it’s up to you. If you want some easy cash to spend on something else then do so. If you like the idea of a tablet then why bother going through the hassle of selling it to then buy something else to so the same job that the iPad was going to do?

Personally, I’m not the biggest Apple fan but I would be tempted to keep it for a bit and try it out to see how I got on with it. If I didn’t like it then sell it in 6 months time and you will still get some cash back for free.

willard

I know there are cheaper alternatives out there (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.3 being a fine example), but very few of them do the whole package as well as Apple. Like I said, there are downsides to the iPad, but the things it does, it does very well and it’s one of the few platforms I would use for internet banking.

GrahamS

Personally I’d keep it.

The only major downsides to Apple gear is the cost and you got this for free.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I have one through work, and while I wasn’t that fussed when I inherited it I use it a lot now for Lovefilm, general browsing, the odd game, downloading movies if going away etc. I’d definitely get another tablet if I had to give this one back tomorrow.

I don’t have anything else Apple and it’s not really an issue TBH, although I would buy Android if I was getting my own.

Anyhoo, unless you really need the cash I’d say keep it and use it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just not sure what i would use it for and its a couple hundred quid i could spend on beer / put towards a new fridge.

Use the internet connection on your phone and post to STW via the iPad. All your email, web browsing, midweek mini movies etc.

What’s the spec and depending on that it’s used value is 3 or 4 hundred not 2

molgrips
    Free Member

Apple tends to release software updates more often than the Android makers do, so issues like Heartbleed and the new stuff won’t affect you

Er….?

Anyway it sounds like the OP prefers Android to Apple.

andybrad

Sorry its from currys. My bad.

No idea on spec. It just says Ipad on the box 16 gb and wifi. Has a receipt with it for 319 quid so figured ebay would be more like 250.

andytherocketeer

I’d flog it.
    Or keep it sealed.
    Out of principle.
    (Speaking as a former mac user)

mark_b
    Free Member

Anyway it sounds like the OP prefers Android to Apple.

I’ve managed to set my work iPad up with all the Google products i need quite successfully.

prawny

Can’t stream videos to your tv of an ipad without major faff like you can with android gear. (Speaking as someone with and ipad and ipad mini)If I was buying again now I’d go for an android tablet, but when I bought my ipads, the android options were pap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@prawny – Apple TV, Chromecast ?

@andy – I’d be tempted sell it, you’ve won the lowest spec iPad 16gb non-air.

grum
    Free Member

Prawny, um…. I do this all the time with Apple TV and it’s a doddle. Are you going to explain how you do it with Android without any extra kit?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Use it, it doesn’t matter if you don’t own any other Apple stuff, they work great standalone. :p

dan1980
    Free Member

If the TV supports DLNA or Mirecast, you can stream from an android device straight to the TV without any additional kit.

I think (Not 100% sure) that for a fruit based device, you need to use AppleTV. Happy to be corrected though…

JulianA
    Free Member

No faff here streaming from an iPad to TV – although I do have an HDMI-out adapter.

Watching films is no problem either – just convert anything you want to watch to an MP4. Software to do this is free…

prawny

Sorry faff is probably the wrong word. With an android device you can stream to a wifi tv with just a free app.

Apple tv’s are about 80 quid minimum and a cable means you can’t use the iPad at the same time.

The app you need is called bubbleUPnP and is awesome.

GrahamS

Sorry faff is probably the wrong word. With an android device you can stream to a wifi tv with just a free app.

I don’t have a wifi’d DLNA telly to try them but a quick search of the Apple App Store suggests there are similar free apps available for iPad/Phone.

e.g. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/arkmc-lite-dlna-upnp-media/id640095560?mt=8

GrahamS

Watching films is no problem either – just convert anything you want to watch to an MP4. Software to do this is free…

No need to do that. Loads of video player apps that play all the usual formats and can stream from NAS etc

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you can’t afford to go out and buy a new fridge then sell the ipad, the storing of perishable food to eat is more important than surfing the web on a handheld device.

GrahamS

Wash your mouth out sir! 😀

grum
    Free Member

You still need a wifi TV then.

My friend uses Miracast with an LG Android smart phone and an LG Smart TV. It’s shite – keeps freezing all the time. Will tell em to check out that bubble upnp. Would it work to stream from the Cartoon HD app?

prawny

It does, well it it did. Cartoon hd was shut down on Wednesday.

It’s all about showbox now.

I don’t have a wifi’d DLNA telly to try them but a quick search of the Apple App Store suggests there are similar free apps available for iPad/Phone.

e.g. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/arkmc-lite-dlna-upnp-media/id640095560?mt=8

There are, but the videos have to be in your camera roll, which is a faff (comparatively)

GrahamS

Ah so the droid one is more of a “mirror what’s on my screen to the TV” type thing?
    Yeah I think you need either Apple TV or a cable to do that from iOS.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chromecast streams from the net but you initiate and control.it from your tablet, so you can continue to do other stuff.

Wonder how long it’ll be before tellies incorporate chromecast…

dan1980
    Free Member

It’ll depend on how good your wifi is, and what is is you’re trying to stream, as to whether stuff freezes or not.

If you’re trying to watch a 720p movie, a 802.11g wifi network will be OK, provided you’ve got a good signal strength. If you’re trying to watch 1080p content, you need a good 802.11n connection. It’s worth noting that some “Wireless N” routes don’t work so well when there’s a mixture of g and n devices connected at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘So i won an ipad yesterday.’ is closed to new replies.