So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this

Home Forum Bike Forum So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • crosshair

Get MrBlobby to play and you two can TTT away to victory 😉

nathb

Not booked in for this weekends Hillingdon TiRed??

TiRed

Not yet. Hillingdon is convenient, but vets races aside, it’s not a circuit I score points on! Not enough technical corners to break up the bunch racing. And I’m rubbish in the inevitable sprint. Cyclopark is much more fun.

crosshair

Cat 3 only race though this week 😉 If it’s similar faces from the WThames races, you should get away from that lot 🙂

nathb

I’m not even half tempted;
    A) I’ve got it in my head that racing season is over
    B) The missus has me looking at flooring options 😆

TiRed

Hmm tempting, but I fancy Cyclopark Saturday and possibly Winchester Sunday. Of course, when I win the last vets race of the season tomorrow night, it won’t matter!

crosshair

Nath- I’m still sticking to my theory that the more races I do, the better ‘per race’ value my bike becomes 😆
    It’s down to about £42 a race already 😀

I’m 10 days in to trying to salvage my FTP for the race on Saturday and ultimately Big Events in October. ‘Just racing’ for a few weeks cost me around 6% although my top end improved.
    I have sadly pulled a muscle in my lower back whilst chainsawing today so am about to brave the Turbo and see if training is even viable until it’s better. If I want to race Saturday, I may have to write the rest of the week off 🙁

Good luck TiRed! Fingers crossed!

nathb

Haha I work it out cost per mile…

Current mileage is 4,145 so around 36p at the moment 😆

My current training plan, now I don’t have targets is:
    Mon – rest & if possible Z1/2 commute
    Tues – 1 hour & if possible Z1/2 commute
    Wed – rest & if possible Z1/2 commute
    Thur- 1 hour & if possible Z1/2 commute
    Fri – rest & if possible Z1/2 commute
    Sat – 1.5 hours
    Sun – 2-4 hours

Also work is paying for a gym membership so I might do some strength stuff…core & legs.. but I much prefer Zwift 😆

I think that will keep me at a sufficient base ready for next years training plan – once I’ve found some specific races to target.

TiRed

Last Masters race of the season last night. Started fast from the usual suspects. I tried to attack and break it up a few times, but was chased down by the bunch (again). Attacked a lap after the Prime too, hoping that the sprint (which I did not contest) would catch people in a lull. No good.

A VC Meuden rider goes up the road and we know he’s strong. I tried to bridge, but just didn’t have the legs after my efforts. Then two of his team mates broke away, and another group of three. I sat on the front of the main bunch (who I think were expecting me to tow them) letting the attackers out to about 50 metres, and a friend goes off to try and bridge. A lap later I do attack on my own and bridge to my friend, but the five up the road are dangling ahead of us and pulling away – 5 vs. 2 is never going to be a fair contest. Still the two of us are pulling away from the main bunch and my fellow rider only needs two points for his 2nd cat.

Cruise in for a seventh place and three or four more points (depending on the points grading) to go with the extra Brucie Bonus point from Saturday, where I discovered I was seventh not eight. So possibly only six to go! Cyclopark beckons, followed by the Winchester Park and Ride on Sunday, that looks an interesting course. Back racing with the youngster too 😕

Other races I’ve lined up are Portsmouth closed track and useful to visit Son1, Abingdon, Hillingdon (of course) and Redbridge. Might have to apply some selection criteria (ideally no 3/4 races). Not to mention our TCC Surrey League Ottershaw road race series in October and November. I won’t be getting any points in those (E123) 😆 , but I like to show the jersey. So hopefully I might achieve a result or two before then.

crosshair

Great stuff! Sounds like a fun race and well done on the points.

It’s funny how life is all about momentum. After just a couple of weeks of not racing, it suddenly seems an extravagant use of my time with other more pressing things competing.
    Nothing a good dose of endorphins on Saturday won’t sort out 😀

I keep hovering over the BC page for Abingdon. My hunch is I won’t have the legs to mix it at the front in a 3/4 and I’m sick of sitting in a bunch for this year. On reflection, the races that leave me buzzing are the ones where I mark the front 10 all race and get in a few moves. So I’m going to see what happens on Saturday first. More point may change my mind 😉

Leigh2612

Do it crosshair!! I keep eyeing BC site but unsure due to my CX debut the Thursday before and velo Birmingham the day after…

crosshair

I’m torn. A 3/4 is just too hard for my fitness in the surges but in the bunch too easy for much training value.
    I should decide tomorrow night 🙂

crosshair

One of my biggest problems is thinking too much- that much should be painfully obvious by now! Even mid race, I find myself acutely aware of things that others wouldn’t even notice so my mental game needs to be top notch to have any chance of putting in a good showing.

Trying to work out what work I had to get done this morning to leave my mind clear for the race, I stood waiting for my toast to pop and suddenly wondered where I had parked the buggy last night (Polaris Ranger D1000 if you’re wondering) as it wasn’t on the front lawn.

I tried to remember why I had left it down the farm and then slowly realised it was long gone! Probably in the bowels of a grain lorry heading to Ireland as we speak.

So, the morning was spent literally shaking with anger, panic, stress and worry about the resultant mess! The police were as helpful as they could be and came and took a detailed statement etc.
    But by 10:30, the dust was settling and the nausea subsiding enough to suddenly remember the race.

Game plan then. As mentioned, I love the thrill of getting off the front so that was as far as my aspirations took me. Get in a break. Callum was due to be there and sure enough, he was and I helped him fettle his gears. This kid is strong! He finished just out of the points in a 70mile 3/4 road race the other day and eats 90mile 22mph club rides for breakfast looking at his Strava. He’s also faster than me up Streatley Hill lol

Anyway, as we chatted, I said “I’ll be honest mate, my goal today is to mark you. You can win this thing and I’d love to try and come with you. I won’t hold you back though- if I can’t hang I will drop back and block for you.” Which he seemed both happy and flattered by- he clearly doesn’t know his own strength!

As we warmed up, I developed my own gear problem and nipped back to the car to screw the life out of my inline adjuster. I didn’t risk the Allen key in case I frayed the cable. It was ok but just rubbed enough in certain gears to drive me potty!

My back has been getting better each day but I hadn’t tested it on my race bike. Despite the painkillers, it was a dull ache all race but I can’t say it held me back, just kept me on my toes.

There weren’t many friendly faces there beyond Callum. Fighty McFight face was there and as sketchy as ever although stayed upright today at least. There were a few familiar people from the recent West Thames races but nobody I knew as such and one guy I recognised from Thruxton.

A quick note on my fitness in case it’s interesting to anyone, from a peak mid-season of 318w FTP and 85kg, I’m now 89kg and my FTP is down to 300w. I’m a few days into a salvage operation for that and aim to try and get some back by the Big Events race in October.

Off we went and the Comm said 45mins + 5 laps. The first lap was steady but a couple of Rapha Cycling Club guys and a few other strong folk looked to be chomping at the bit. The first few laps were brutal. I think everyone thought the same as me, that they were strong enough now to just rock up and ride away to points. (Ok, I didn’t really think that but I knew I had a good chance)

Attacks started on the next lap and were pretty serious efforts. I just jumped from wheel to wheel and covered the lot. Callum was always there mixing it, usually in the front 3-5 wheels. It was nice as we naturally gave each other more room in the corners and could rely on each other not to shut the door as the bunch meandered around in the headwind sections. As usual, the forecast 7mph was more like double figures!

As the laps ticked by, Callum was more frequently the guy making the moves rather than following them and I still kept trying. We rarely got a significant gap though and we would generally get countered and have to go again. Fun perhaps but it was starting to take it’s toll.

In my hyper-aware state, I was able to notice that my NP was 320 so far- over my pb FTP let alone my current one. And it felt like it too. So when Callum launched after the Apex of Brians (anti-clockwise today) I decided I was holding him back.
    Of course, the rest of the players had clocked me covering every move and no doubt expected me to do the same again. I shifted to the drops, did my best impression of a fast rider but didn’t churn out any more power. By the time we had rounded the Bus-stops, he had a great gap and people were starting to twig. I kept up the façade a little longer and then just sat up and coasted around the last corner. Callum was way down the straight and happened to look back. He realised he was well clear and pressed on.

Talk about poking the hornets nest!! Riders streamed past, one or two in full on sprints. Several shouted muffled comments but one guy said “If you’re not going to race, then get out of the f***ing way!!”
    “I AM racing!” retorts I wishing I had had some wise crack ready.

I upped the pace to get a tow and watched as Fighty McFight face (I think he’s called Adam) nearly wiped out the guy who had been shouting at me and they angrily shouted at each other whilst one guy reached Callum and the others started a hard chase.
    I was so pleased my tactics had worked and felt it went a little way to repay the good Karma Jesper had given me.

Sadly though, a few laps later, it was back together again. I was recovering nicely, my mind was wondering how I was going to do my work without a buggy tomorrow morning and time was ticking on.

Freshly caught, it was time for Callum to chill, drink and recover right? Uh no, he was soon off again and got a gap not long after. One guy was with him and another bridged.
    With the finale approaching, I chugged back my drink and waited for the five to go sign.
    Next lap, 3 to go appears! I know it’s minor but it annoys me when they say +5 and then don’t show you 5 to go. Anyway, too late now, time to get up the front.
    I moved up where ever I could gain an advantage and was soon hovering in the front bunch. Last lap and I felt I was in as good a spot as any.
    A bit of apathy had set in though and getting in the car safely overtook sprinting to victory (well, 3rd lol) as a priority. I made up a few more spots and started looking for a gap as we approached the final bend. I was fresh and had no reason not to expect good legs.

Deciding to go right, I positioned myself nicely and got ready. With that, two simultaneous near misses occurred, one to my left and one to my right ending with a scrape and a guy on the grass but everyone staying upright.
    I pushed on again just in case but the good spot was gone and I got 12th or 13th I reckon.

Callum ended up dropping the other two and finished alone for his victory! What a ride by him.

Anyway, home in one piece, enjoyed blocking for Callum and now back to reality to sort this mess out!

nathb

Well done CH, to race after such a crap morning and get within a whisker of a point is bloody good going in my books!!

I’ve got a little experiment ahead: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lchfketosis-diet-anyone-tried-it

TiRed

Probably should have raced Hillingdon myself. 25 keen third cats at Cyclopark, a windy day ready to break the pack, but only about five wanted to do anything (except sprint at the end). I attacked on the first bend on the first lap to string it out. Got 10 seconds with another couple of riders, but aside from one young man (who was great all race), the others looked too scared to try. Anyway lots of attacks from a few riders, three away and reeled in, ten shed off the back, and the inevitable sprint. I’m last in that sprint. Maybe I should have sat in too! I could have held that pace all afternoon. But you have to do something in the race.

Anyway, my young clubmate who sprints well got his fifth place and second cat. So some good news. Sadly my efforts to shred the pack saw his supporting dad off the back.

More races to come but a 7am TT this morning just showed that I worked very hard yesterday.

CH my usual retort for blocking is that “it’s a team sport”. Tactics in a 4th cat race, whatever next? I once led a clubmate out in a sprint for him to get his points, then peeled off and sat up. That didn’t go down well, but it’s a team sport. Get in a team and get stuck in!

crosshair

Lol! Yes, they were pretty peeved. I can definitely see the attraction of a well drilled team. Being able to feel useful on an off day or to help each other achieve goals adds another layer of interest and intrinsic motivation.

Was it Johnny joining the attacks? Black guy in West Drayton kit?

crosshair

Trying to get away again with Callum

Blocking for him a couple of laps later

nathb

I see bent elbows!

Nice write up TiRed!!

crosshair

Barely! I had been working on it too but my pulled muscle made it agony. I don’t have the appetite for Abingdon 3/4 so I think Big Events will be my last race of this season.

Which means I’ll still be a 4th Cat next year!!

Any news on the replacement Winter Series???

Leigh2612

Crosshair..common sense prevailed for me, and I didn’t book Abingdon due to velo Birmingham Sunday.
    I didn’t make the Swindon cross Thursday either though due to people in hospital in Bec’s family…

TiRed

Winter Series will be run by Tony Gibb’s promotion company -details have not been announced yet, but he’s run the Full Gas series at the Velopark.

As for Abingdon tomorrow – For those that are about to die, I salute you! EIGHTY points-hungry 3/4 riders on a wide pan-flat course 😯 . No thanks, I’m going elsewhere! (probably a club ride and some fixed training).

nathb

80 at Abingdon is probably safer than 50 at Hillingdon.

A crash will still happen though 😆

crosshair

Callum got close but was squeezed out in the final corner for about 15th I think. His max speed was 36mph! Where the heck do you do that at Abingdon!!! Mega tailwind perhaps!!

Thinking of an afternoon/evening practice session at Hillingdon if anyone fancied it? It will be one of the first three weeks in October.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Only if it’s not wet 😉

nathb

I can only get there for 6:30-7, by which time it’ll be pitch black 😆

My cycling is a bit weird at the moment…. I’m commuting Mon-Fri still (when it’s not raining), but I have no real desire to take the racing bike off the turbo at the weekends. It’s weird – I’ve kind of lost my confidence to cycle at the weekends? But I’m fine commuting into central?!

(Not sure if I posted this earlier but a few weekends back someone used their car as a weapon against me – it’s probably this 😆 )

crosshair

Precious little snowflakes the pair of ya 😆

#HTFU

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I barely ride my MTB in the wet on full knobblies.

There’s no way i’m using the semi-slicks in the wet !

crosshair

It doesn’t make any difference. Just knock a few psi out and you’ll have more grip than we’ll need for the speed we’ll be going 😆

nathb

If I turned up at 6:30pm and made you go over 15mph I’d never hear the end of how you’d been there since 2pm 😆

Leigh2612

Oooh…I’m a maybe! Depends on time/ date

crosshair

Looks like the 11th October @ 13.30 or so Leigh.

Leigh2612

Daddy daycare day for me…hopefully next time!

crosshair

Ah that’s a shame mate. Like you say, another time 🙂

Well consistency pays off 😆 Managed to get 3rd place in the Thruxton Cat4 series.

That I did enough races to qualify without upgrading says more about my summer mind you 😀

crosshair

Looks like Joe can’t make that afternoon so could potentially move it around if anyone else wants to play.

TiRed and other knowledgeable Hillingdon folk- how do you pace a lap for TT (solo breakaway) purposes? The main reason for going is to see how many (if any) laps I can do at a pace quick enough to get me off the front but I’m curious about how to manage the ‘hill’ v the rest of the lap.
    Say you were doing a 25mph lap, how fast would you be going up the hill and how fast down the straight? (Assuming anti-clockwise but interested in both).

I’m hoping I can do two or three laps @26mph which would give me a confidence boost for trying a proper move but even if I don’t, it will at least help focus my tactics.

nathb

Just been looking at the new winter series (Cheers CH).

Looks good (PDF download): https://www.fullgascycling.co.uk/app/download/5812980255/2018+Winter+Series+Dates.pdf

Not sure I’ll be around for it (hopefully(will update in due course)).

CH, try your FTP out at first?

TiRed

No 3/4 race 😀 . Should be more of the same. Still need to go find 7 points though. One race was cancelled, and another at cyclopark this weekend for negative tactics.

I might be able to pop over to Hillingdon for the afternoon.

crosshair

Sadly Joe can’t make that afternoon now so I’ve taken up an offer to go elsewhere for the day.
    Can try and sort a time that works for more people if anyone else fancies it too? Suggest some dates and I’m flexible on time (got a good front light too 😉 ).

Nah, FTP won’t get me close- I’m thinking it’s going to be around 360 average with 380 up the hill and 340 until I spin out on the downs!

crosshair

In case anyone is squeamish, a warning that I will be trying out the new kit 😆

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Just been looking at the new winter series (Cheers CH).

Looks good (PDF download): https://www.fullgascycling.co.uk/app/download/5812980255/2018+Winter+Series+Dates.pdf

They’re all now on the British Cycling website. Here’s Round 1, entries open tomorrow:
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/166501/Lee-Valley-Winter-Circuit-Series–01

I did a Regional A road race on Sunday. Done very little all year (although more than recent years!). My seaosn started with a DNF at the Eddie Soens then a DNF the next day in a race at Pimbo (North West) which was one of the wettest coldest days I’ve ever had on a bike. 80 starters, fewer than 30 finishers in horrible weather. That was back in March.

A couple of crits at Tameside (average mid-pack finishes) in May.

And then I decided almost on a whim to do a Regional A over near Ormskirk. 60 entrants, only about 45 actually showed up due to the poor weather forecast. As it turned out it was dry but a horrible crosswind over the circuit which was never a tailwind! We had headwind, cross-head, cross and cross-tail!

Rather predictably, all the 2nd Cats promptly rode off the front after a flurry of attacks split the bunch in the crosswinds leaving all us 3rd & 4th Cats sitting there not really doing much. Solo attacks were pointless into the wind, very few people actually wanted to work so it came down to the break of 12 contesting most of the points and a half-hearted and mostly very mistimed sprint into the cross-headwind so it was fairly easy to sit in the pack and pick people off as they parked up after launching their sprint too early. I ended up 26th which wasn’t too bad given my near total lack of road racing this year!

nathb

Good effort though crazy legs!

You’re racing against one of my cat 2 friends up there, I remember him describing one of those races.

Annoyingly on paper we were both identical stats wise, bar his extra cm of height. But he takes wins regularly 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 2,851 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.