Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • So I put a plastic water bottle in the dishwasher and this happened to it:
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

It started life like this:

matt_outandabout

Did you mistake the oven for the dishwasher?

timmys

That was good planning to take a ‘before’ picture.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

That was good planning to take a ‘before’ picture

This^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The top one? Just before use?

rene59
    Free Member

Maybe it was a twin pack.

jonnyboi

Hope the wife didn’t turn around and get a nasty shock with you waving that at her

theotherjonv

bottom shelf near the heaters?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bottom shelf near the heaters

Euphemism?

Harry_the_Spider

There are thermoplastics and thermosetting plastics. Thermoplastics will deform at dishwasher temperatures. Thermosetting plastics won’t.

Most water bottles are thermosetting. That one isn’t/wasn’t.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

the first shot looks exactly like I imagine a 10x scale model of Jordan Petersen’s cock to be.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

did this experiment at uni. Bottles are often made from Thermoplastics which are first injection moulded into a sort of test tube shape, usually with the threaded end fully formed. The little plastic nipple in the centre of the bottom is where the plastic is injected into the mould and broken/cut off so forms the little nipple/tail. They are then warmed up and blown into a mould to make the final bottle shape. Thermoplastic plastics often have memories, so when you warm them up again they shrink back down to their original test tube shape, which is what this bottle seems to have been part way to doing. I did it with a plastic coke bottle in the oven and it reverted back to a perfect test tube shape with the fully formed thread at the end.

rmacattack
    Free Member

Hmm, look on the bright side. You have now got you or your missus a free aid.

Kryton57

Make sure you tell you wife your new shaped bottle won’t hide her while she’s looking for your sense of humour in that cupboard.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Kids have one each.

the first shot looks exactly like I imagine a 10x scale model of Jordan Petersen’s cock to be.

Funny that because it looks exactly like the life size one I imagine sticking out of your head.

mjrose
    Free Member

Click bait!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

man posts pic of sex toy shaped deformed water bottle and shocked at results

SHOCKER

You wouldn’t believe what happened next

geetee1972
    Free Member

You wouldn’t believe what happened next

You laughed?

hols2
    Free Member

Asking for a friend. What brand bottle and what dishwasher settings did you use?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Find something that will hold it up, put them both in the sink, fill with boiling water, post results.

Or,

Photograph it out of scale obscuring things for giggles.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…post results.

(Is this forum safe to return to yet?)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

every water bottle we’ve owned has been dishwasher safe and the hot setting on our dishwasher is only 75C.  Are you sure theres not something wrong with yours?

(and what make of waterbottle is it?)

DezB
    Free Member

A whole new meaning to “penis beaker”?

globalti
    Free Member

It has reverted almost to the shape of the pre-form, from which it was blow-moulded.

rickmeister

Is your wife small, or far away?

failedengineer

Wobbliscott is spot on.  It looks like PET (polyethylene terephalate) and it will indeed try to return to the shape of the preform, or first stage of the process. Someone earlier said that most bike bottle are thermosetting plastic – they aren’t, they are HDPE or PP, both thermoplastics.  They may soften and distort in a dishwasher, but they won’t do what the bottle in the photo has.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Floor tiles could do with a good tubbin’.

ossify

Aren’t you meant to not reuse PET, in case nasty stuff starts leaching out? Seems like an odd choice for a kid’s water bottle.

brakes
    Free Member

is it just coincidence that I am getting adverts for Dick Whittington?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Geetee, I was going to apologise in a Private Message but I was a **** in public so I may as well apologise there. I was being a dick and I can’t even blame alcohol.

ill try to use my brain before posting next time. No guarantees though.

trumpton
    Free Member

don’t worry even supermarkets will be selling them soon, so there’s no need for embarisment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Aren’t you meant to not reuse PET, in case nasty stuff starts leaching out? Seems like an odd choice for a kid’s water bottle.

I think you’re thinking of BPA which was a plasticiser you could add to PET so it would remain soft.

Thermoplastics (PE, PET, PP) tend to be foodsafe as they’re made in a refinery then shipped as pellets to be melted down and molded so the process is very controlled. As oppposed to thermosetting plastics which have traces of catalysts, solvents etc present even after curing , they can still be food safe but requires a bit more thought.

DezB
    Free Member

Just noticed – pic 1 is geetee’s photographic tribute to the cover of Death Grips “No Love Web Deep” album (NSFW, or the sensitive, in it’s uncensored form, obv)

onandon
    Free Member

Ideal for shorter rides.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetee, I was going to apologise in a Private Message but I was a **** in public so I may as well apologise there. I was being a dick and I can’t even blame alcohol.

Thanks buddy – no hard feelings.

bsims
    Free Member

Ideal for shorter rides.

you should add a link to the inuendo  thread

molgrips
    Free Member

Is your dishwasher on the hot setting all the time?  Ours is only on 60.

sirromj

Can you make it explode next?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘So I put a plastic water bottle in the dishwasher and this happened to it:’ is closed to new replies.