Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So, I need a new helmet…
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Do I go all enduro & get a new fangled one which offers more protection, which I suppose is the point of a helmet, or go oldskool & cheap?
    If its the former then should I go for the Troy Lee A1 or the IXS Trail?
    If it the latter then I have no idea what I should be looking for, I still use my circa 2003 Sworks jobbie which is light as a feather & breaths well, but is probably a bit long in the tooth now 🙁

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

I picked up an urge all mountain for £45 from Chain reaction last month (with a 10% off code), it’s the comfiest helmet I’ve ever worn, well ventilated too, the styling is a bit marmite I know, but I like it!
    Fit is great for me, but I think it either fits or it doesn’t as it has no ratchet system.

Northwind

I’m still wearing Fox Strikers- excellent weight, well vented, almost as much protection round the back as an “enduro” helmet and pretty well priced too.

(insert “whichever one fits” before someone else does)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Catlike Leaf best helmet Ive ever had and £50

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got an IXS trail rs which, crucially, is very comfortable for me. I don’t see any reason not to use an “enduro” style helmet unless I need my full face. They are light, comfy and give good coverage. All much of a muchness tbh so just choose the one that’s comfiest for you.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Just bought an IXS and tbh I’m well chuffed.

I’m that used to sending stuff back to CRC etc I kind of expect things not to fit, got the IXS out of the box and it just felt right from the off.

Had an urge before and the wind used to move it all over, right size/pads etc. IXS just says put without feeling tight. Light and comfy too.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks all, obviously I have until Monday to order one so any more input will be welcome.

Cheers.

jam-bo

Tried an a1 on a few time and it’s a really really well made and fitting helmet. Just can’t get past the idea that my head will melt in it. Same with the bell super. Not tried the ixs

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Tried the Super on in my LBS and it’s waayyy wider than most other helmets. Shame as I really like it.

prawny

Them catlike leafs are well comfy, considered one when I trashed my giro feature. Buti got another feature, they’re ace and look pretty ‘Enduro’ too. Which handy when I’m mincing round cannock.

honourablegeorge

Urge AM +1

fasthaggis

Same as Northwind,a Fox Striker.
    We must have the same shaped heads,that’s worrying 😛

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

+1 for the A1, picked up one for £60 on CRC and it fits me well and is comfy

ceepers

Mate has the urge and really rates it. I have a poc trabec, superbly comfy, quite hot, worth the money if you can find one in a sale!

jedi

im using the limar xmtb lids. 50 odd quid and do the job

moshimonster
    Free Member

Just ordered a POC Trabec. No expense spared for the old noggin! My experience of POC ski helmets has been exceptional so I’m hoping the bike helmet will be of the same quality. I tried on an IXS Trail too and it seemed like a nice option. That might be my second choice if the POC doesn’t fit me properly.

Simon

Tried an a1 on a few time and it’s a really really well made and fitting helmet. Just can’t get past the idea that my head will melt in it.

I got an A1 a few weeks ago and yes it’s hot, not unbearably hot this time of year but I think I’ll overheat in the summer. Previous helmet was a 20 quid one size fits all Giro Indicator, I’ll probably get another one next year for when the temperatures rise.

Northwind

fasthaggis – Member

We must have the same shaped heads,that’s worrying

The deformed twins, they call us

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve a Catlike Leaf and although I don’t enduro race, I bought it with a view to ‘slowly climb up, fly down” riding.

I live in Thailand so need a cool helmet and it certainly is. It’s very light for the coverage it gives. It looks and feels like a much more expensive helmet, both in terms of the retention system, the quality of the finish and the attention to detail.

The one gripe I have is the plastic bits that are on the straps, under the ears kept coming apart. A little piece of blu-tac sorted that but annoying nonetheless.

oldfart

Just got an IXS Trail RS FREE with my new bike , didn’t think it was possible but it’s lighter than my Met Veleno and just as comfy .

kristoff
    Free Member

Been using a TLD A1 for the last 6months or so. Slightly warmer than my old giro hex but certainly don’t find it uncomfortably hot.

From a quality point the A1 is leaps beyond any helmet I’ve had previously.

As always fit and comfort should come first.

grilla
    Free Member

I switched to a Scott Lin helmet as it has the MIPS thing, and anything to further protect the brain seems like a worthwhile investment.

If you are picking a helmet based on safety, rather than style or weight, check out the information provided here http://www.helmets.org/helmet14.htm

stewartc
    Free Member

IXS Trail RS, comfortable for long rides, feels secure and cool enough for Hong Kong summer riding. Tried a Bell Super and the new MET Parachute recently but both were sold very quickly for a number of the same reasons (build quality, fit and too hot for the local weather conditions).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

If you’re going full ENDURO you need a brightly coloured POC for mincing up with a full facer strapped precariously on your hucksack. Make sure you also pull your knee pads down to your ankles for the full effect.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Many thanks for all your input, currently siding with the A1, but I’m still waiting until tomorrow to order so I would still like to hear people’s thoughts, and I would like to hear jedi’s thoughts on the Limar, not heard anything about them before.

Cheers.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I’ve got a Scott Mythic. Comfy, light and looks good.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

One thing that does annoy me about the IXS is that the chin strap comes with about 36 meters of excess strap.

You can fold it out of the way into the little fleece chin padding thing. Not sure why they fit the padding thing as it’s pretty useless as the buckle tends to sit under your chin where you would normally have the pad.

Other than that I would definitely buy one again.

jamj1974

Whatever you use its going to surely offer more protection than an 11 year old helmet that you are wearing now.

paule
    Free Member

Merlin have some nice bell volt xc lids on about 60% off at the moment if that helps?

moshimonster
    Free Member

Whatever you use its going to surely offer more protection than an 11 year old helmet that you are wearing now.

Still no reason not to buy the best protection you can afford.

sandwicheater

Like the look of that IXS trail rs, reckon I’ve found my new helmet.

Superficial
    Free Member

Still no reason not to buy the best protection you can afford.

Oh, so do the more expensive helmets protect you better than a cheap one? 🙄

As much as I love the wave of innovation that has come with the rise of Enduro racing, I can’t help but thinking we’ve gone backwards in terms of helmets. People spend lots of money on light bikes and then buy helmets (and shoes) which are too hot and weigh 150g more than other options. As long as it’s expensive and comes in bright colours, it’ll get bought.

I recently bought a Carrera edge from eBay for £35. It fits well, is comfy and even comes in fashionable colours. Oh, and it’s light and has decent coverage at the back. Win.

hora
    Free Member

IXS Trail RS and bought for £52 delivered from bike-discount. Fantastic quality.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Oh, so do the more expensive helmets protect you better than a cheap one?

Some do, some don’t. Do your own research, make your own choice. I don’t spend the money unless I can see real benefits and in some cases there are. Been skiing, biking for a long time and head protection has always been a priority for me so I make the effort to research and then buy what I believe is the best option. Unfortunately, I have never found a budget helmet that meets ALL my requirements i.e. safety, quality, fit, detailing etc, etc.

Your Carrera Edge does look very good for the price, but it doesn’t have MIPS for a start, which I think is worth having, and it’s not exactly cutting edge light either. If money was no object, there are better helmets out there, hence my comment about buying the best you can afford. That doesn’t mean chucking money at it for the sake of it as you wrongly presume.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Comfy, light and looks good.

Is that the photo you meant to put up?

chrismac

Just switched to the Fox on from the TLD A1 as my head cooked in the A1. Lovely helmet, great fit but just too hot for my head.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So, I need a new helmet…’ is closed to new replies.