So I have to admit my Turner 5 spot frame is too small for me.

Home Forum Bike Forum So I have to admit my Turner 5 spot frame is too small for me.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So I have to admit my Turner 5 spot frame is too small for me.
  • I get the same feeling with my Heckler, feel over the front wheel to much, althought its a large size and I'm 5'11 so its the right size..think thats to do with the Geometry though. Rode a Trex ex 9 and I felt like I was sitting in that and overall more confident inspiring.

Swayndo

I'm the same height as you stonemonkey, but got the benefit of a quick turn on Gordymac's medium 5Spot. My large is spot-on (excuse the pun). I'm a medium in most bikes, however. Going on what I've owned I'm a large only in Turner and Santa Cruz frames.

stonemonkey

Swayndo , hadnt ridden one for about a year before i bought it online, ( 1st mistake) did all the checking of my old frame , book between the legs compared geo but still ended up with the wrong one. I put a layback post on it so its not the tt lenght more the top heavy ride.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

flippinheckler – Member
    I get the same feeling with my Heckler, feel over the front wheel to much, althought its a large size and I'm 5'11 so its the right size..think thats to do with the Geometry though

So I'm not the only one then???

I really think I should have got a medium Heckler, but comparing it to a medium Hustler it replaced, it semeed the only difference was 1/2" TT length.. so I got a shorter stem.. and a Larger Heckler

Theres' still a voice in the back of my head saying I should have got a medium.. 😐

Coasting

Sorry to hear.I went thru the same with a medium frame and im 6ft.Changed out to a large and its spot on

Premier Icon allankelly
    Subscriber

I dunno. I'm 5'7 or 5'8 on a good day, and I'm about to buy a 16" Orange 5. I test-rode a few at Glentress, one visit each (thanks Edinburgh shop The Bike Chain!). I tried an 18" Orange Blood – great, but a downhill rig, and a similar sized Orange ST4. They had their good + bad points. What sold me on the 5 was the versatility (I can climb standing like I do on the SS, and descend like a fat teenager) and the "flick-ability". I think the flick comes from the size.

I felt slightly cramped in the bike, but the flicks sold me.

al.

stonemonkey

Bought the frame last year after much deliberation about the size , got a medium spot ( i am 6 foot btw) running a 90mm stem and i never felt quite right . It feels like i am sitting on the bike not in the bike if you know what i mean. Bought a genesis alptitude recently which has futher compounded the problem, its the large with 70 mm stem but just feels so much better. So has anyone else spent a small fortune on the wrong size bike and does anyone want to buy / swap a medium spot?

GW

hmm.. how very random πŸ˜•

all of you! πŸ™„

DrP

How much ytou selling the spot for?

DrP

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

im five ten and use a med spot but normally go for small bikes . As a comparison my 16 inch 456 with a 70mm stem has the same reach as my med spot with 90mm stem. What year is your spot mate

fettling

Almost went through the same thing… not sure if it counts.

Ordered a medium Cannondale Taurine on monday, did some calculations based on the geometry and comparing it to my existing giant NRS. Got cold feet and decided it was going to be too small. Phone shop up at the end of the day and thankfully it hadn't been despatched. Cancelled order and ended up buying a Large from Evans.

That shop is a liability though as I had to point out the fact the layback seatpost was laying forward to the sales guy, Doh!

Just about to try out the bike properly. Size feels great though.

doof_doof

I'm 6ft and both of my turners are Large's. Medium would feel super cramped. Even Turner says larges are for 5'10 to 6'2, so not sure why you would have thought a medium would be a good fit.

Premier Icon Gordymac
    Subscriber

Is it a DW 5spot?

Gordymac

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

fettling i also bizzarely rode a large caffiene lol some funny sizing oh and a small anthem

stonemonkey

Its a 2008 TNT 5 spot , looking for a Β£750. Smoke black.

I compared my old frames geo to the turner and always prefered smaller bikes (although the last one i bought was a 1998 rocky mountain element) as a whole but this is just too small .

dr.juggles

hello stonemonkey

i have the same turner 5 spot frame 2008 in smoke black in large and would like to swap for the medium.
    best regards daniel

send me a e-mail to dr.juggles1@gmx.de

Premier Icon allankelly
    Subscriber

Wow! Did Juggles and Monkey get it together?! What a happy outcome if they did!

al.

stonemonkey

Sent him an email, but just noticed he's in Germany and only has one post! πŸ˜†

Matt-P

At 6'2" I bought a 20" 456 inbred, sold it earlier this year as I always had this sneaking feeling it was too big. If only they made a 19" πŸ™

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Is it the one I've just been lusting at on fleabay…..?

stonemonkey

swadey – Member

Is it the one I've just been lusting at on fleabay…..?

No not on ebay, so if your interested, email in profile.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Yeah, glad I demo'd a spot before I got one. I'm 5'10 and ended up getting a Large. The medium just felt to small.

DrP

Monkey – take a leap of faith and just post it out overseas….

I'm sure a bigger one will be in your mail box in no time πŸ˜‰

Will take a pass, but good luck getting a large one!

DrP

woodsman

5'7 – 5'8 here and ride a medium 5spot – perfect!

stumpytrek

It all comes down to personal preference doesn't it? I'm just 6ft and ride a medium '08 flux. I think it suits me and my riding style nicely!

catvet

Flux is slightly longer tt than equivalent spot

Big Chris

I'm 5'9-10", but long in the body & 29" leg. Reckon the large would be better. My current Meta 5.5 is in medium & is far too short for me. Time to move up to a Turner, I think.

heihei

Bought a med Ibis Mojo – didn't quite fit so sold it on. Thankfully I bought it in the US when the Β£ was at 2:1 so sold it for pretty much what I paid for it.

stonemonkey

Well, I did the swap with the guy from Germany )dr.Juggles and the frame arrived this morning.

Hows about that for a bit of luck.

tumnurkoz

brilliant! restores a bit of faith. nice one.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Amazing. Good outcome for you both there.

IsaacClarke

Awesome news!!

: )

lucky you!

I've never found 'the one' top tube/stem combination that fits me, but im farly versatile.

My XC bike is a cannondale 18" (23.3) with 110mm stem, perfect for XC.

My trail bike is a DMR switchback (22.5" TT) with 90mm stem, plannong on replacing it, but not sure what with (23" TT, 12" BB, short stays, 68/69 head angle, 130mm fork, anyone?)

Other bikes have been a 20" carrera fury (21.5! TT WTF?) with a 110mm stem, which was just wierd, the new carrera geometry is pretty sorted though IMO.

DMR trailstar, awesome bike, but couldnt even go jumping on it, the 21.5TT is just too cramped so had to run 90mm XC/trail stems!

Sanderson 18", similar gemoetry to the cannondale, will ultimately replace it once I've finalised its build.

Although much as I like the look of steel bikes the Cannondale is growing on me, it's just so brutaly rigid that you can almost love it for it, whereas a 25-27lb trail bike takes a bit of a heave to get moving up a steep incline, this feels like you could do the whole thing with a flick of the ankles.

stonemonkey

Bollox, that will be the 1inch longer steerer tube on the large that means my fork steerer is to short. Why is nothing simple.

daj

Im 5ft 9" and picked up a small 08 Enduro, Cant work out if its to small or just soooooooo far from what I am used to riding (old Zaskar, RTS ) that I need to get used to it πŸ˜•

dr.juggles

stonemonkey, glad to hear that you got your front triangle aswell πŸ™‚

i hope it was a good swap for both of us … the medium front triangle looks ridiculously small compared to my former large.
    i am 6ft1" but i felt a bit uncomfy on the large frame – the top tube always was a bit too long for my taste. for long xc rides it was nice but for short fun rides i prefer a shorter tt and more ball clearance.

has anybody reading this a 2004 Turner Burner frame for sale?
    looking for one to build me a xc ride.

@daj – i also have some older GT zaskars from the mid 90ies. you cant compare the old geo / angles with modern rides. the old bikes, especially GT had that racing geo where you are lying on the bike, real uphill racing position and with the modern fully rides you feel like sitting in your TV chair so comfy.
    but honestly the mid 90ies bikes looked way better … for me πŸ™‚

cheers from rainy germany

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So I have to admit my Turner 5 spot frame is too small for me.’ is closed to new replies.