Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So, I have a spare DX battery pack, what should I attach to it?
  • Northwind

Courtesy of a defective head unit and a full refund, I’ve got a spare battery pack that I’d like to attach to something else…

Currently got an MJ-872 which, tbh, is all the light I really need, stuck on the head it’s proved absolutely superb, but i want a backup. I usually run it with an old P7 torch on the bars, which doesn’t add that much light but can help the fill a wee bit and gives a bit of belt-and-braces in case I crash and break a light, or it blows up, or I run out of battery.

For £65, I can get another MJ-872 head unit for the bars. Is there anything else I should look at?

Oh, and ruling out MJ-808 XMLs, had one of those and it wasn’t very good.

z1ppy

Off-hand I’d still say a single XML for a helmet light, as it’ll happily cut though the MJ872’s beam and reach further down the trail 😉
    In all seriousness maybe one of the Inton (single) XML U2 old torchy-boy’s flogging on ebay? (sell your battery or keep it as a spare)

Depends what you want though? TBH two 872’s on your bar’s always seemed a tad excessive to me, but your obviously allowed to do what you want. Is a single one not enough? (serious question) Then to me your choice is between a 2nd 872 or one of the Inton Dual XML units. I still haven’t seen these side by side (trying to get the 2 owners together is like herding cats) but off-hand I think the Inton will simply be the more powerful but the way the Inton handles the heat means it’s has the edge for me.

Northwind

My current 872 is on the head btw, not the bars…

I thought initially it was a natural bar light and stuck my XML on the head but I reckon these lights are past the point where a spot’s really useful, I just found the head light added an annoying dot of brightness in an already bright enough flood. The 872 on the head is good enough for enduro racing in the dark on innerleithen downhill trails 😉

Closest I’ve come to riding in daylight actually- it’s not so much the brightness, as the breadth and consistency of the light, it’s not as bright as the XML but it gives a much more normal field of vision.

I think a second one on the bars is going to be the best option tbh. I’d sooner go up to the Inton as a bar light but the price difference is pretty big.

Cheers for the input!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Your Gonads.

Northwind

I’m not sure the plug is compatible

peakprowler
    Free Member

I have an MJ808 XML head unit you can have for £30 .. http://www.magicshine.co.uk/front-lights/front-bicycle-light-max-1000lm-mj-808e.html

Northwind

No ta, like i say, had one, didn’t rate it. Cheers though!

peakprowler
    Free Member

Do you want to sell it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So, I have a spare DX battery pack, what should I attach to it?’ is closed to new replies.